Dumb question about radio comms....

Doum76

Hey guys,

Been out the sim for about a year, and i just decided to try out the F-16 which i bought a while ago. I'm sorta rusted on a few things, so i'm sure my issue is quite dumb, but hey, that's me!

I'm trying to contact the tanker, but i get no answer back from him. I set Comm 1 on 251.00 UHF, i use the UHF transmit button to contact it, i'm yet too laysy to learn the start-up procedure, so it's Parking Hot started, so radios rotaries on comm panel for Comm 1 and Comm 2 are all the way up... what dumb thing am i forgetting...please, i'm not rusted enough to forgot to put a Tanker in tme mission editor :P

Thanks!

(SOLVED)

(SOLVED)

I thought the boom from the KC-135MPRD was functionnal, but i presume it ain't, since when i changed my tanker for the KC-135, he replied, i presume AI's are intelligent to know that an airraft incompatible with the tankers Refueling system makes the tanker crew impolite and never reply back to the aircraft, that doesn'T even identify iteself at which aircraft it is. :doh:

That behaviour of ignoring you was literally just introduced in the latest openbeta, as mentioned in the patch notes!

Might be friend, got to be honest, i was out of the sim for a year and own quite a few modules, i didn't sit back and read all patch notes from last summer up to yesterday to find out what changed on all modules and assets for that year long, and i totaly forgot the MPRS had it's boom disabled for real life behavior not to allow drogue and boom operation at the same time, the more i get old, the worst my memory gets. :(

I thought the boom from the KC-135MPRD was functionnal, but i presume it ain't

Correct. Currently DCS only supports tankers with one type of refueling system onboard, so the version with MPRS pods is only capable of using the drogue pods and has its boom effectively disabled.

Then you are lucky, you missed a dark period if less-than-stellar patches. The latest ones have seen some good improvements, and hopefully more new features in the Viper.

oh really? I had the viper for a while, but only tried it a few months ago, i didn't realy liked the handling even when playing around with the control'd curves, but now, i almost felt in love with it, still evenatualy have to learn the systems, for now i'm just trying to feel the birds with it's basics stuff. I just love it's cockpit in VR. did quite enjoyed my first Air-Air refueling, though was challenging, never realised my KC-135 liveries had some missing texture on the boom and assist lights under it, so i had to try to spot the lights in the middle of the yellowish/greenish missing texture digital camo style.... we'll see how it goes with proper liveries.

I still have to re-learn my favortite, the Hornet, i'm sure quite a lot of stuff changes since i last flown it.

:pilotfly:

Hi DOUM.

Are you using the correct Comm key for transmitting. I mean, you should have bound a key or a joy button to comm 1 and to comm2 in order to talk trough those radios.Look in the setup options and verify this.

Cheers, Saca111

Hi man,

At first i wasn't, i was jsut using the default communications menu, because i couldn't find the radio buttons (thanks for all developpers in DCS to all name radio buttons for UHF and VHF radios differently in the command menu for each aircraft, you gotta be like Indiana Jones to find them) then i finaly found the Switches commands. But the main problem was that i was stupid, never realissed i was trying to contact a tanker that only deploys drogue ose and has no operating boom.

So the tanker's crew went « Hey guys, don't answer this bozo's comms, once he realised he doesn't have a probe/drogue basket system on his aircraft he'll bug off the proper tanker, just remember his callsign and tail number so we can send him a copy of « Air-Air Refueling for Dummies ». :doh::music_whistling:

:)

• 4 months later...

ROFL!

This is nearly half a year old and just yesterday I spent a half day wondering why the KC-135 I put in a new mission was not answering my (F-18) radio calls.

Switching to the drogue-equiped aircraft did the trick...

PS: Frequency was correct. That far I knew from hearing him calling out my shots on him. 🤣

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Asus ROG STRIX Z390-F Gaming, Intel Core i7 9700k , 32gb Corsair DDR4-3200

Asus RTX 2070 super, Samsung 970 EVO Plus M2, Win10 64bit, Acer XZ321QU (WQHD)

TM HOTAS Warthog, SAITEK Rudder Pedals, TIR 5

• 2 weeks later...

I'm in the same situation like Doum76, I spent almost the whole year doing quite other things than flying DCS and now it took almost two hours until it stuck to my mind to start search in this forum... Obviously the problem is between the stick and the chair 😆 I set an KC-135 to refuel my Hornet. Well, tomorrow I will try some drogue turbofan plane 😂

• Like 1

greetings

latware

(Intel Core i7-4790K;NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970;2xdisplay 1920x1080;Thrustmaster HOTAS Cougar+pedals;TrackIR3 6DOF)