SERPENTS HEAD 2 CAMPAIGN UPDATED 19AUG20

Badger633

Finished Mission 5 successfully yesterday.

What a great mission! Love the cold start on the deck of the Stennis, watching choppers taking off as I was starting up my Hornet.

Took me about three attempts to successfully complete this mission as I was not yet familiar with entering precise waypoints that was needed for this mission, briefing does a good job of pointing out what one needs to know and this is much appreciated!

So I am halfway through this campaign now and having a blast! Looking forward now to the second half.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

1 hour ago, dburne said:

Finished Mission 5 successfully yesterday.

What a great mission! Love the cold start on the deck of the Stennis, watching choppers taking off as I was starting up my Hornet.

Took me about three attempts to successfully complete this mission as I was not yet familiar with entering precise waypoints that was needed for this mission, briefing does a good job of pointing out what one needs to know and this is much appreciated!

So I am halfway through this campaign now and having a blast! Looking forward now to the second half.

👍

F/A-18C Campaigns : The Serpent’s Head / The Serpent’s Head 2

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

I9 9900K @ 5.0Ghz / Gigabyte 2080ti water force extreme / 32 Gb RAM Corsair Dominator Platinum 3600 / 2Tb Samsung 970 Evoplus NVMe M.2 / Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas / Thrustmaster Pedals / Valve Index.

Omg. So after a few attempts I finally successfully hit all the targets in Mission 6.

Had to stop at an airfield - Kutaisi  and refuel. 

Got refueled and was taxing back to the runway to take off. I stopped on the taxiway to check something out, and then could no longer go on. It is like the plane is just nailed down to the taxiway and will not move, not even with afterburner.

Not a campaign thing but a DCS thing apparently as this has happened to me before.

All that time spent in this mission is wasted because of this one DCS issue. Ugh, I have got to remember not to stop on any taxi way no matter what!

edit: Successfully completed next attempt.

Those landings in the wind were a bit of a challenge but I made it.

Edited by dburne

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

On 3/6/2021 at 3:38 PM, Glyn said:

Just tried the mission, had no problems taking out target. If your not getting a release signal must be a problem with the bomb set up or targeting ?   

Hi,

thank you for trying it out for me, appreciate it.

After several times I'm still unable to hit the target.

Master Arm ON

Select A/G

Select LGB

Release AUTO

MFUZ OFF

EFUZ INST

CODE: **** (of your choice via UFC)

target designating from Litening pod

toggle LTD/R to ARM

TDC Depress (sets desired target that you have found via Litening pod)

sensor selet swtich to the right several times to get lock for moving targets

when approaching to the target, IAS is 250 kts, 20 000 ft and wings leveled.

And after all that nothing happens, I cant get event the release que, and when I hold pickle button, bomb wont realease. I have no idea what my be causing this..

This campaign is for open beta right?

13 hours ago, Martin38 said:

Hi,

Master Arm ON

Select A/G

Select LGB

Release AUTO

MFUZ OFF

EFUZ INST

toggle LTD/R to ARM

And after all that nothing happens, I cant get event the release que, and when I hold pickle button, bomb wont realease. I have no idea what my be causing this..

one  way to  test  if   your  sure  your  doing every thing  right  by the looks  of  it  you are  is  to set  a  mission  in  me  and  practise  to see  if  you  can hit  a  moving  target

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Martin38 said:

Hi,

Master Arm ON

Select A/G

Select LGB

Release AUTO

MFUZ OFF

EFUZ INST

toggle LTD/R to ARM

Yes open beta is fine.

Just looked at it again works fine.

So first step check this ;

Master arm on

AG select

Select bomb on page and set delivery to auto plus fuse to instant.

select code and then press code on u/c and enter, I use 1688 out of habit. You need to step through each bomb and repeat.

Once you have been given the precise coordinates in the mission you create a new way point using the correct format. Then use this waypoint and select as a target. Without doing anything else you should have a bomb set up ready to drop and this will be indicated by the bomb drop line. 
Do you get the drop line at this point?

I9 9900K @ 5.0Ghz / Gigabyte 2080ti water force extreme / 32 Gb RAM Corsair Dominator Platinum 3600 / 2Tb Samsung 970 Evoplus NVMe M.2 / Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas / Thrustmaster Pedals / Valve Index.

Wow - just completed Mission 7 and it was so awesome. In fact this freshman Hornet driver completed it successfully on the first attempt!

Love this mission - the neat surprise at the beginning of the mission was very cool - it is stuff like this that really gives a campaign personality and lets you escape into that world in a living breathing campaign.

I am so enjoying this one!

Don B

3 hours ago, dburne said:

Wow - just completed Mission 7 and it was so awesome. In fact this freshman Hornet driver completed it successfully on the first attempt!

Love this mission - the neat surprise at the beginning of the mission was very cool - it is stuff like this that really gives a campaign personality and lets you escape into that world in a living breathing campaign.

I am so enjoying this one!

Glad you enjoyed. I work hard to give "there is a world out there" feel but controlling resources at the same time so can be flown in VR. 🙂

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Glyn said:

Yes open beta is fine.

Just looked at it again works fine.

So first step check this ;

Master arm on

AG select

Select bomb on page and set delivery to auto plus fuse to instant.

select code and then press code on u/c and enter, I use 1688 out of habit. You need to step through each bomb and repeat.

Once you have been given the precise coordinates in the mission you create a new way point using the correct format. Then use this waypoint and select as a target. Without doing anything else you should have a bomb set up ready to drop and this will be indicated by the bomb drop line. 
Do you get the drop line at this point?

I did everything as you said, if you have some free spare time could you please watch my video and tell me what am I doing wrong? Thank you very much.

PS: I updated release que by TDC depress for moving target

You're not lined up on the correct heading when you drop.  In the picture below the top left circle shows the target diamond on the heading tape pegged to the left side (it should be in the centre) and the lower right circle is around the HUD arrow pointing to your target (left and below you) and the 55 shows that you were 55 degrees off the correct heading.  Therefore the bomb likely never saw the laser when it started firing (it was looking the wrong way) and if it did see it, wouldn't have had enough time/energy to actually guide to the target.

This screenshot was taken from a couple of seconds after you released.  You should be wings level when releasing -- if you're having to bank to keep the TVV over the bomb fall line you're not properly lined up.

image.png

Edited by rob10
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, rob10 said:

You're not lined up on the correct heading when you drop.  In the picture below the top left circle shows the target diamond on the heading tape pegged to the left side (it should be in the centre) and the lower right circle is around the HUD arrow pointing to your target (left and below you) and the 55 shows that you were 55 degrees off the correct heading.  Therefore the bomb likely never saw the laser when it started firing (it was looking the wrong way) and if it did see it, wouldn't have had enough time/energy to actually guide to the target.

This screenshot was taken from a couple of seconds after you released.  You should be wings level when releasing -- if you're having to bank to keep the TVV over the bomb fall line you're not properly lined up.

image.png

Hi Rob,

thank you for taking the time to watch my video and for the advice.

I'll try it tommorow and will let you all know if it worked.

Mission 9 is kicking my tail.

I am playing in VR with limited icons on.

I get to the target area, and see the icons denoting the enemy in the field.

However I can never find anything in the FLIR, I have zoomed in and out and looked all over the field where I see those red icons, and I can not find anything whatsoever on the ground to target in that area.

Am I missing something here? Any tips would certainly be appreciated, been working at this all morning.

Don B

1 hour ago, dburne said:

Mission 9 is kicking my tail.

I am playing in VR with limited icons on.

I get to the target area, and see the icons denoting the enemy in the field.

However I can never find anything in the FLIR, I have zoomed in and out and looked all over the field where I see those red icons, and I can not find anything whatsoever on the ground to target in that area.

Am I missing something here? Any tips would certainly be appreciated, been working at this all morning.

Your should use your FLIR in CCD mode. The straw field will go almost black and you will see your target lighter as it picks up the heat signatures.

Hope this helps

21 hours ago, rob10 said:

image.png

HI.

Just looked at it. As rob10 said you are not getting lined up correctly.  He is right the arrow showing 55 above should be vertical and you should be sufficiently distant from the target to settle your aircraft and drop line as you approach. If you are using automatic lasing  you need to be accurate in your release. Manual lasing may give you slightly more latitude as you can lase for longer and earlier.

Hope this helps

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Glyn said:

Your should use your FLIR in CCD mode. The straw field will go almost black and you will see your target lighter as it picks up the heat signatures.

Hope this helps

OK thanks will check that out.

Don B

1 hour ago, Glyn said:

HI.

Just looked at it. As rob10 said you are not getting lined up correctly.  He is right the arrow showing 55 above should be vertical and you should be sufficiently distant from the target to settle your aircraft and drop line as you approach. If you are using automatic lasing  you need to be accurate in your release. Manual lasing may give you slightly more latitude as you can lase for longer and earlier.

Hope this helps

Hi, it did helped! Thank you for your patience and support. I was finaly able to finish your great campaign. Looking forward for more of your content.

23 hours ago, rob10 said:

image.png

Hi Rob,

thank you one more time for your time and for your help, it did helped and I was able to hit the target. Take care.

2 hours ago, Glyn said:

Hope this helps

Gave it another go with CCD Mode.

Still can't see anything to target.

Will try again sometime tomorrow fresh.

Don B

1 hour ago, Martin38 said:

Hi, it did helped! Thank you for your patience and support. I was finaly able to finish your great campaign. Looking forward for more of your content.

Hi Rob,

thank you one more time for your time and for your help, it did helped and I was able to hit the target. Take care.

Just so you know I am working on another option for the SH2 campaign utilising a super carrier. This hopefully will be released free for those who already have the campaign.

Also my next campaign “Rise of the Persian Lion” is almost complete. Following on from the SH2 story. 15 Missions, over a thousand voice overs, In the Gulf on the USS Abraham Lincoln SC. Ford also gets a wingman. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, dburne said:

Gave it another go with CCD Mode.

Still can't see anything to target.

Will try again sometime tomorrow fresh.

It should be very clear if you got the right straw field. Have a look at the image given in the brief to locate the field. It will show up in CCD as a very dark field. You will need to zoom in to the field. 

Just now, Glyn said:

It should be very clear if you got the right straw field. Have a look at the image given in the brief to locate the field. It will show up in CCD as a very dark field. You will need to zoom in to the field. 

If it's the one I remember, what I found helpful was not getting too zoomed in as you approach, but watch for the flashes from the mortar launches.  That gives you a much better idea exactly where you need to zoom in to (because you will need to zoom in pretty good for final targeting -- man and mortar are pretty small).  Use the roads as landmarks to make sure you're looking at the right field too.

11 minutes ago, Glyn said:

Just so you know I am working on another option for the SH2 campaign utilising a super carrier. This hopefully will be released free for those who already have the campaign.

Also my next campaign “Rise of the Persian Lion” is almost complete. Following on from the SH2 story. 15 Missions, over a thousand voice overs, In the Gulf on the USS Abraham Lincoln SC. Ford also gets a wingman. 

Looking forward to the new campaign 👍

21 minutes ago, Glyn said:

Ok thanks will keep that in mind for my next attempt.

18 minutes ago, rob10 said:

If it's the one I remember, what I found helpful was not getting too zoomed in as you approach, but watch for the flashes from the mortar launches.  That gives you a much better idea exactly where you need to zoom in to (because you will need to zoom in pretty good for final targeting -- man and mortar are pretty small).  Use the roads as landmarks to make sure you're looking at the right field too.

Looking forward to the new campaign 👍

Thanks for the tips I will be looking forward to trying again hopefully tomorrow.

30 minutes ago, Glyn said:

Oh man the supercarrier - I will be all over that thanks for the heads up.

Also very much looking forward to Rise of the Persian Lion. Good times ahead!

Btw I know some probably don't much care for it - but I do love those cold start missions off the carrier.

Starting the Hornet up whilst watching other planes taking off is pretty cool.

Don B

7 hours ago, dburne said:

Ok thanks will keep that in mind for my next attempt.

Thanks for the tips I will be looking forward to trying again hopefully tomorrow.

Oh man the supercarrier - I will be all over that thanks for the heads up.

Also very much looking forward to Rise of the Persian Lion. Good times ahead!

Btw I know some probably don't much care for it - but I do love those cold start missions off the carrier.

Starting the Hornet up whilst watching other planes taking off is pretty cool.

I hear that from fellow pilots. So the new campaign will have cold starts in thirteen of the missions.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Glyn said:

I hear that from fellow pilots. So the new campaign will have cold starts in thirteen of the missions.

👍

Awesome!

Don B

Mission 9 is a tough mission. Thanks to the tips I finally hit that first target.

However I got taken out just as I was launching at the second tank. Ugh got careless and let myself get too low lol.

I will get it.

Don B

17 hours ago, Glyn said:

That sounds great, I'm looking forward to it 🙂