SERPENTS HEAD 2 CAMPAIGN UPDATED 19AUG20

Badger633

Hi, thanks to all fellow pilots for their constructive comments.

As a result I have made various adjustments to a number of the missions. ED has now kindly included them in todays general update. Hopefully this will make the campaign more enjoyable for all.

I have listed some of the updates below.

MISSION 1

AI aircraft actions adjusted, now guns only, earlier loss of immunity, triggers more forgiving.

MISSION 3

Fail state adjusted for unusual pilot routes, certain targets made more vulnerable, label enforcement removed.

MISSION 5

Fuel correction made to easy A2A option; info added to brief regarding min SAM standoff distance.

MISSION 6

Minor voice file correction.

MISSION 7

Removed chocks note.

MISSION 8

Unusual responses JTAC corrected.

MISSION 9

Aerial photo in brief corrected.

MISSION 10

Simple A2A version: Correction to an important vehicle late activation.

Thanks again for your help.

Good Luck !

• Like 1

F/A-18C Campaigns : The Serpent’s Head / The Serpent’s Head 2

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

I9 9900K @ 5.0Ghz / Gigabyte 2080ti water force extreme / 32 Gb RAM Corsair Dominator Platinum 3600 / 2Tb Samsung 970 Evoplus NVMe M.2 / Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas / Thrustmaster Pedals / Valve Index.

• 3 weeks later...

Damn can't off first base yet

Man oh man that first mission I keep failing.. like 4x now. I don't know what I'm doing wrong. Says 3 miles outside runway ok I get that but I'm not breaching that & getting failed. I thought was a 3 mile radius from the center of runway, true? :huh:

:: 13th Gen Intel Core i9-13900K :: Asus ROG Strix Z790-A mobo :: Asus Tuff Gaming GeForce RTX 3080 Ti :: NZXT Kraken Elite 280 RGB AIO white cooler :: G Skill Trident Z Royals DDR4 4x16GB = 64GB :: WD Black SN 850X NVMe SSD 2TB M.2 (C Drive) :: Samsung 860 Pro 2TB SATA (D Drive) :: Corsair Crystal 680X White Case :: Asus XG349C 34" Curve G-Sync 180Hz 3440x1440 Mon :: Corsair 850W PSU :: Virpil Constellation Alpha-R Stick with VPC WarBRD Base :: Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle :: 3 x CubeSim ext mini screens with TM Cougar MFD Bezels :: Asus ROG Pugio 503 Gaming Mouse & Razer BlackWidow mech kb :: TrackIR 5 Pro & Cap Clip :: Win 11 64 Bit 😉

Man oh man that first mission I keep failing.. like 4x now. I don't know what I'm doing wrong. Says 3 miles outside runway ok I get that but I'm not breaching that & getting failed. I thought was a 3 mile radius from the center of runway, true? :huh:

Hi, what message exactly are you getting as a fail ? If you set way point 6 during the display, which is the centre of the runway, you will have a read out of your distance so you can monitor your distance at all times. The other restriction is keeping north of the runway. This would be the display line in real displays are you falling foul of this?.

Hope this helps.

I9 9900K @ 5.0Ghz / Gigabyte 2080ti water force extreme / 32 Gb RAM Corsair Dominator Platinum 3600 / 2Tb Samsung 970 Evoplus NVMe M.2 / Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas / Thrustmaster Pedals / Valve Index.

Thanks Glyn, appreciate the feedback & suggestion. My bad, I think I'm breaching the North line & was forgetting to set WP6. I'll jag it eventually :)

:: 13th Gen Intel Core i9-13900K :: Asus ROG Strix Z790-A mobo :: Asus Tuff Gaming GeForce RTX 3080 Ti :: NZXT Kraken Elite 280 RGB AIO white cooler :: G Skill Trident Z Royals DDR4 4x16GB = 64GB :: WD Black SN 850X NVMe SSD 2TB M.2 (C Drive) :: Samsung 860 Pro 2TB SATA (D Drive) :: Corsair Crystal 680X White Case :: Asus XG349C 34" Curve G-Sync 180Hz 3440x1440 Mon :: Corsair 850W PSU :: Virpil Constellation Alpha-R Stick with VPC WarBRD Base :: Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle :: 3 x CubeSim ext mini screens with TM Cougar MFD Bezels :: Asus ROG Pugio 503 Gaming Mouse & Razer BlackWidow mech kb :: TrackIR 5 Pro & Cap Clip :: Win 11 64 Bit 😉

Hi! I'm in the second mission of Serpents Head 2 Campaign, and i need help plss:

1. 2 SAM SA-8: OK

2. 2 Artillery: OK

3. Refuel: OK

4. Destroy camp: OK

5. MIG Approaching: IMPOSSIBLE TO KILL!! May be the MIG uses a Radar Missile? I try 4 times and he always kill me... I only have AIM9 Missiles.

I need to escape? Or engaged with AIM9?

MIG always shoots first.

I'm going crazy!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Hi! I'm in the second mission of Serpents Head 2 Campaign, and i need help plss:

1. 2 SAM SA-8: OK

2. 2 Artillery: OK

3. Refuel: OK

4. Destroy camp: OK

5. MIG Approaching: IMPOSSIBLE TO KILL!! May be the MIG uses a Radar Missile? I try 4 times and he always kill me... I only have AIM9 Missiles.

I need to escape? Or engaged with AIM9?

MIG always shoots first.

I'm going crazy!

Hi

Yes he can be tricky. You know he's coming from the North now so you need to be aggressive. He is a MIG-23MLD with 2 R60 infer red AA missiles. I find the best way is to get him on the radar early and then l fly straight toward him fast and low level. Then before he fires maybe get one of to give him something to think about but also be ready to manoeuvre to avoid his missile with plenty of flares. Once you survive the first pass you should be able to get behind him and take him out. You are actually armed with AIM9X missiles which are very capable especially when used with your head mounted JHMCS

Hope this helps

Edited by Glyn
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'm having trouble with mission 5. I cannot get all the JSOWs to hit the bunkers. The first time I tried it the SAM site shot them all down. I thought they were stealthy and could not be shot down easily. The second time, I launched from 35K ft and .9 Mach and 2 of them exploded in the clouds.

Why is this happening?

System Specs:

AMD 5950X (liquid-cooled), Gigabyte Z590 Aorus Pro Motherboard, 32 GB RAM DDR4 3200MHz, Samsung Evo 970 Plus 2 TB, Seagate 2TB SSD, Geforce RTX 4080 GPU, Rosewill Glacier 1000W Power Supply, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS (Stick, Throttle), Thrustmaster TPR Rudder Pedals, NaturalPoint TrackIR 5 w/ProClip, (1) Vizio 40" 4K Monitor, TPLink Dual Band Wireless Card, Window 11 OS

I'm having trouble with mission 5. I cannot get all the JSOWs to hit the bunkers. The first time I tried it the SAM site shot them all down. I thought they were stealthy and could not be shot down easily. The second time, I launched from 35K ft and .9 Mach and 2 of them exploded in the clouds.

Why is this happening?

Hi

Distance is your issue. If you look at second paragraph under tips on the in game brief you see this is covered. Don't go any closer than 40 miles to the target. ( actually you can go a little closer but 40 is a good margin) If you do the SAM site will go into red alert and will shoot down the JSOWs. So you need to get high/fast to get the range. Make sure you do not stray into this zone if trying to release all three in one go. Even if you have to reposition to release the remaining JSOWs.

Yes the SAM site never used to shoot down the JSOWs but there was an update during the production of this campaign and they suddenly started to. So keep your distance.

Also make sure you are re-designating your target each JSOW and reselecting TOO each time.

Hope this helps

Edited by Glyn

Mission 6 Problem

So I went and saved the day at waypoint one, barely landed at Kutaisi but then somehow got an OK 3 wire at Stennis? This must be a bug in that weather!

I'm just kidding about the bug. Loved the mission.

Great campaign so far!

Thanks

Pizmo

So I went and saved the day at waypoint one, barely landed at Kutaisi but then somehow got an OK 3 wire at Stennis? This must be a bug in that weather!

I'm just kidding about the bug. Loved the mission.

Great campaign so far!

Thanks

Pizmo

Hi glad your enjoying it. Yes the campaign was written before the super carrier was even a thing. Someone must have landed. Not sure why it does that when you are so far away. Although the super carrier is not in this campaign the operational side is in all missions. Couldn’t just add super carrier as it would impact all the mission starts and voice overs.

Working on new campaign which will have 15 missions and be based briefly in Black Sea but mainly in the gulf. Ford is off to the U S S Abraham Lincoln so includes super carrier and so designed for it. “Rise of the Persian Lion”

• Thanks 1

Hi glad your enjoying it. Yes the campaign was written before the super carrier was even a thing. Someone must have landed. Not sure why it does that when you are so far away. Although the super carrier is not in this campaign the operational side is in all missions. Couldn’t just add super carrier as it would impact all the mission starts and voice overs.

Working on new campaign which will have 15 missions and be based briefly in Black Sea but mainly in the gulf. Ford is off to the U S S Abraham Lincoln so includes super carrier and so designed for it. “Rise of the Persian Lion”

No after barely landing at Kutaisi I took off again and landed at the carrier.

I was just so surprised to get a OK 3 wire in that weather.

Thanks

Pizmo

No after barely landing at Kutaisi I took off again and landed at the carrier.

I was just so surprised to get a OK 3 wire in that weather.

Thanks

Pizmo

Got you, misunderstood initially :thumbup:

• 1 month later...

Mission 3

In DCS 2.5.6.57264 Open Beta 2020-11-04 "LOFT for HARM in TOO and SP modes" has been removed. And now it is not possible to hit the SAMs SA-8 by HARM from 10,000 ft !!

The HARM-s without LOFT hits the hill in front of the target .

Окурок, выброшенный в урну, гораздо патриотичнее флажочка на автомобиле

TM Wartrhog Stick + VPC MongoosT-50Base + VPC TMW Extension 150mm / TM Wartrhog Throttle / CH Pro Pedals / 2-VPC Deck Mount / TrackIR5/

i5-10600K Over to 5.0MHz/32GbDD4-3200/RTX4070/System-SSD1 DCS-SSD2/32" 2560x1440

Mission 3

In DCS 2.5.6.57264 Open Beta 2020-11-04 "LOFT for HARM in TOO and SP modes" has been removed. And now it is not possible to hit the SAMs SA-8 by HARM from 10,000 ft !!

The HARM-s hits the hill in front of the target

Thanks SMN.

There was always an element of getting in the correct position on this one as it was easy to release too low and too far as the unit intentionally is not quite at the top of the hill. However as you have pointed out looks like things might have got a lot worse.

I will look into it and do the necessary.

Thanks again for picking this up.

Mission 3

The HARM-s without LOFT hits the hill in front of the target .

HI SMN.

I'm sure your right the change may have not helped matters.

However, Just flew mission 3 just now. I had no problem taking out SAMs. I did fire my HARM from 10 miles but at 15,000 feet. The thing is that due to some SAM locations you need to get high enough to ensure you do not hit trees etc. This has always been a challenge with this one and I suppose one they face in the real world when SAMs are not right at the tip of a hill. I know there was an instruction to fly at 10k between certain earlier way points but when you go on a combat footing then you can fly what ever height you need to to get the job done.

Hope this helps

I did fire my HARM from 10 miles but at 15,000 feet.

I think what I must keep 10.000 feet exactly! At 15000 feet and above - I think will not problem.

Окурок, выброшенный в урну, гораздо патриотичнее флажочка на автомобиле

TM Wartrhog Stick + VPC MongoosT-50Base + VPC TMW Extension 150mm / TM Wartrhog Throttle / CH Pro Pedals / 2-VPC Deck Mount / TrackIR5/

i5-10600K Over to 5.0MHz/32GbDD4-3200/RTX4070/System-SSD1 DCS-SSD2/32" 2560x1440

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks badriver glad you enjoyed it.

Three quarters the way through producing the follow up. This is a 15 mission campaign. It will follow Ford’s progress when he and his wing man are posted from the Stennis in the Black Sea to a new problem in the Gulf. This will be on the USS Abraham Lincoln. It’s called RISE OF THE PERSIAN LION.

4 hours ago, Razor18 said:

Hay Glyn,

will that be Supercarrier-based? Can't wait for it...

Yes will include the super carrier 👍

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I've read and understood the helpful tips about hitting the three hangars in mission 5 which I did successfully. Just setting up my coordinates for the next bit and I was told the I had "failed to complete task 2" and was kicked out of the mission. Not sure what task 2 is.

Any advice?

1 hour ago, Tigh said:

I've read and understood the helpful tips about hitting the three hangars in mission 5 which I did successfully. Just setting up my coordinates for the next bit and I was told the I had "failed to complete task 2" and was kicked out of the mission. Not sure what task 2 is.

Any advice?

Hi Tigh

Task 2 is the forth hanger. This the target you have been given the precise coords for. If out of the blue you have been given a mission fail you have probably wandered a long way from where you should be. Where were you exactly when you had the fail. If you wander outside this large area the fail will cut in to identify pilots heading to the Stennis without completing both tasks. 
So suggest you keep just outside of the SAM zone as described in brief and put yourself in an autopilot orbit whilst entering the coords.

Hope this helps. 

9 hours ago, Glyn said:

Hi Tigh

Task 2 is the forth hanger. This the target you have been given the precise coords for. If out of the blue you have been given a mission fail you have probably wandered a long way from where you should be. Where were you exactly when you had the fail. If you wander outside this large area the fail will cut in to identify pilots heading to the Stennis without completing both tasks. 
So suggest you keep just outside of the SAM zone as described in brief and put yourself in an autopilot orbit whilst entering the coords.

Hope this helps. 

Hi Glyn,

That does help. Not having dropped many JSOWs before I watched them into the target while turning cold, in doing this I've presumably wondered out of the engagement zone as you describe. I'll know better for next time.

Really enjoying the campaign so far, thank you for creating it.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi, 

In mission 7 when i land to refuel on batumi, i park behind 4x4 and fuel truck crash with my right wing and get stuck.

I will try again and park on right side of 4x4, i hope triggers and mission will work ok with that.

Congrats with campaing, im enjoying it.