So.. what's the initial verdict on VR performance

sirrah

Work and social life most probably won't allow me to play DCS until somewhere next week :(

So for people like me, who were/are very excited about this release, but can't try it out just yet: How is VR holding up in this new map?

Are you guys getting decent framerates without touching any of the graphics settings?

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

I fired it up this morning and just tried a couple of the free flight instant action missions with the F-14. I was pretty much staying locked at 45 running 9900K, 2080ti with a Vivepro at 1.5PD

I only spent about 20 minutes so I didin't go many places but in general I like the map

I fired it up this morning and just tried a couple of the free flight instant action missions with the F-14. I was pretty much staying locked at 45 running 9900K, 2080ti with a Vivepro at 1.5PD

I only spent about 20 minutes so I didin't go many places but in general I like the map

It sounds good (I didnt test it yet), over big city also like Hajfa, Bejrut ect?

Webmaster of http://www.yoyosims.pl

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

Win 10 64, i9-13900 KF, RTX  4090 24Gb OC, RAM 64Gb Corsair Vengeance LED OC@3600MHz,, 3xSSD+3xSSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5, [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor2, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

2070 Sup, 32 GB, 9600K @ 5GHz, Rift S, 1.2 SS, stable 40 above the cities in a huey, outside it jumps up to 80 time to time. it is definitely demanding, but it has lots of detasils, very well made, best map in DCS so far, way ahead of the others

So I wasn't going to purchase this map because I'm still not using the Channel map after buying it because of poor VR performance. I was going to wait to get some feedback before deciding, but temptation got the better of me.

My 1st flight, I took the F16 over Israel, started the flight in the air with 90FPS, admitted I was over water with the coast and land in view to my right, I turned over land 45FPS no drops, I'm thinking to myself this is to good to be true, so i flew over an area with a high density of buildings, 45FPS. I've maybe had at the most a drop of 2FPS. Straight out of the box with my normal settings so far this map for me is working well in VR, I am very pleased.

harrier landing GIFRYZEN 7 3700X Running at 4.35 GHz

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080Ti

32gb DDR4 RAM @3200 MHz

Oculus CV1 NvME 970 EVO

TM Warthog Stick & Throttle plus 11" extension. VKB T-Rudder MKIV

Nice to hear it! Im not at home yet :/ .

Webmaster of http://www.yoyosims.pl

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

Win 10 64, i9-13900 KF, RTX  4090 24Gb OC, RAM 64Gb Corsair Vengeance LED OC@3600MHz,, 3xSSD+3xSSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5, [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor2, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

No brilliant for me I’m afraid with my rig. Starting in Beirut airport and facing west I’m getting a steady 40 maybe, then flying over the city I’m getting 22-28. Not tried with any other aircraft yet though, but down low in the Huey I’m getting a pretty bad stutterfest. Looks very nice though

MSI M5 z270 | Intel i5 7600k (OC) 4.8GHz | MSI GTX1080ti Gaming X 11Gb | 500gb Samsung 970 Evo NVME M.2 (DCS World) | 500gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD (OS and Apps) | 32Gb 2400MHz DDR4 - Crucial Ballistix | Be Quiet Silent Loop 240mm | NZXT H440 case |

Thrustmaster Warthog - 47608 with Virpil Mongoose joystick base | MFG Crosswinds - 1241 | Westland Lynx collective with Bodnar X board | Pilot's seat from ZH832 Merlin | JetSeat | Oculus Rift S | Windows 10 | VA |

Damascus is definitely toughest test. I had dips below 30 FPS when flying at 100 m and lower. Huge city with a lot of unique and textured at higher res buildings take their toll.

AMD Ryzen 5900X @ 4.95 Ghz / Asus Crosshair VII X470 / 32 GB DDR4 3600 Mhz Cl16 / Radeon 6800XT / Samsung 960 EVO M.2 SSD / Creative SoundBlaster AE-9 / HP Reverb G2 / VIRPIL T-50CM /
Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals / Audio Technica ATH-MSR7

Lots of trees, objects and remarkable buildings.

Looks great but it uses a lot of resources...

So here comes some stutters again.... Don't have those on other maps tough.

As mentioned elsewhere, playing on this map rises the ram usage to around 22 to 25 GO... Might be a dump somewhere....

But so far, love the map...

Rig: MB Gigabite z390UD, CPU Intel I7 8700k, RAM 32G DDR4 3200 Gskill ripjaws, GPU MSI RTX2080SuperOC, HDD Crucial mx500 1tb M2 sata, PSU Corsair 850W, watercooling Corsair h100,

Controlers TM f/a 18 stick on Virpil warbrd base, TM cougar f16 stick on cougar base, Cougar F16 throttle on TUSBA, ch pedals, TM cougar MFD

27" monitor with trk IR 5 and HP Reverb HMD.

Modules F18, F16, F86, Mig15, FW 190D9, Nellis range map, Aggr campaign, Middle East map

Just flew around Haifa in the Huey, was pretty much locked at 45, some spikes to 90 when facing the sea and still a bit of landscape and buildings within FOV. 3570k @4.4, 32GB, 1080, CV1, no PD/AA/SS, settings mid-highish. Basically, not worse than any of the other maps. And I do see like 30fps only at Senaki still. That airport is the Bermuda Triangle of FPS for sure. But that's exactly why I usually take my numbers from there since it'S rather demanding even without having units active.

I had some stutters though, but they were rather short.

Edited by Eldur

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg

As I said here, unplayable for me: horrible stuttering, not even 20 fps at low altitude, and when I move my head from side to side, not even the entire screen renders (hard to explain, but basically the rendering needs to "catch up" to my head movement).

Spoiler

Ryzen 9 5900X | 64GB G.Skill TridentZ 3600 | Gigabyte RX6900XT | ASUS ROG Strix X570-E GAMING | Samsung 990Pro 2TB + 960Pro 1TB NMVe | HP Reverb G2
Pro Flight Trainer Puma | VIRPIL MT-50CM2+3 base / CM2 x2 grip with 200 mm S-curve extension + CM3 throttle + CP2/3 + FSSB R3L + VPC Rotor TCS Plus base with SharKa-50 grip mounted on Monstertech MFC-1 | TPR rudder pedals

OpenXR | PD 1.0 | 100% render resolution | DCS "HIGH" preset

G7 laptop with 2070 super / 32Gb ram.

Did free flight (just myself) from Haifa up to Incirlik Air Base in the Hornet. It was around 40fps when on the ground, low level. High 40s at around 1000ft AGL and mid-50s when above 5,000ft.

Very smooth, hardly any spikes. Overall impressed by VR performance. Congrats to Ugra for a great product.

One odd thing I noticed is the draw distance doesn't seem to scale the same as for the other maps. Medium in Syria is like Low for Caucasus. Could see the buildings growing in front of me just a few hundred feet away. Also the tree slider doesn't do anything. After moving up to high I got similar performance to Persian Gulf. Able to maintain 40 fps except when near the ground near densely populated areas.

i7 6700k @ 4.6, Gigabyte Z170X-UD3, 32GB DDR4 2666, GTX 1070, Rift S | MS Sidewinder FFB2 w/ TM F-22 Pro Grip, TM TWCS Throttle, VKB T-Rudder Mk. IV

Flew the UH-1H in the vicinity of Beirut, Damascus, Palmyra.

All flights without shadows, and low to medium settings.

Beirut no stuttering (beautiful port!).

Damascus was too much for my system, heavy stuttering even when flying higher.

Palmyra was fine.

Anyway: what a nice piece of software! The map looks A M A Z I N G !!!

Visit https://www.viggen.training
...Viggen... what more can you ask for?

my computer:
AMD Ryzen 5600G | NVIDIA GTX 1080 Ti OC 11GB | 32 GB 3200 MHz DDR4 DUAL | SSD 980 256 GB SYS + SSD 2TB DCS | TM Warthog Stick + Throttle + TPR | Rift CV1

As I said here, unplayable for me: horrible stuttering, not even 20 fps at low altitude, and when I move my head from side to side, not even the entire screen renders (hard to explain, but basically the rendering needs to "catch up" to my head movement).

Same here. Was surprised to see others report good things

Same here. Was surprised to see others report good things

I'm sure it depends on their settings. Mine were as high as they could possibly be while still having decent framerates.

For this map though, I had to lower Terrain textures to Low, and also dramatically reduce the Visibility Radius. Now it's playable :)

Spoiler

Ryzen 9 5900X | 64GB G.Skill TridentZ 3600 | Gigabyte RX6900XT | ASUS ROG Strix X570-E GAMING | Samsung 990Pro 2TB + 960Pro 1TB NMVe | HP Reverb G2
Pro Flight Trainer Puma | VIRPIL MT-50CM2+3 base / CM2 x2 grip with 200 mm S-curve extension + CM3 throttle + CP2/3 + FSSB R3L + VPC Rotor TCS Plus base with SharKa-50 grip mounted on Monstertech MFC-1 | TPR rudder pedals

OpenXR | PD 1.0 | 100% render resolution | DCS "HIGH" preset

One odd thing I noticed is the draw distance doesn't seem to scale the same as for the other maps. Medium in Syria is like Low for Caucasus. Could see the buildings growing in front of me just a few hundred feet away. Also the tree slider doesn't do anything. After moving up to high I got similar performance to Persian Gulf. Able to maintain 40 fps except when near the ground near densely populated areas.

That’s the one thing I have noticed with the Syria map. At altitudes you see the trees and buildings grow, even on High terrain distance. But performance is better than I anticipated.

harrier landing GIFRYZEN 7 3700X Running at 4.35 GHz

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080Ti

32gb DDR4 RAM @3200 MHz

Oculus CV1 NvME 970 EVO

TM Warthog Stick & Throttle plus 11" extension. VKB T-Rudder MKIV

Yeah, so my initial impressions are that frames aren't bad. I was seeing anything from like 60 fps higher up which shocked me. But on the ground at airbases it was like in the 20's. And near the big cities it was a mixed bag of 20's and 30's. But really outside those areas, even at low alt it was pretty good, which surprised me. Online wasn't bad I was pulling 45 in a mig 21 near the golan heights a few minutes ago so, pretty playable really.

Otherwise the map is gorgeous, and I really like the new "blended" pop in effects. And I LOVE the low alt terrain detail.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

I was very worried that VR performance would be as bad as on The Channel map with all these details, but I'm positively surprised to see that my frame rates are very good, even above populated areas.

I did two test flights so far, with the F-16C and F-14B (which to me seem like the most demanding modules in VR, from the ones I own) and above all areas I easily maintained a locked 40 FPS, with only about 60-75% GPU usage. Even above Damascus at treetop level my frames didn't drop below the 40 which is exactly what I'm aiming for so the ASW of my Rift S keeps everything smooth :)

This is mostly with low-med settings, with shadows set to ''low'' and terrain shadows set to ''flat'', with 1.3x SS

I say if you can run the Persian Gulf map fine you will have no troubles with the Syria map either. Ugra Media really, really did some outstanding work on this map. It's fantastic :)

Best performance in VR for me of any map by far. Great job Ugra.

Intel i9-9900KF @5.2GHz

MSI Z390 Gaming Pro Carbon

32GB G.Skill Trident Z DDR3200 RAM

MSI RTX 2080 Ti Gaming X Trio

40" Panasonic TH-40DX600U @ 4K

Pimax Vision 8K Plus / Oculus Rift CV1 / HTC Vive

Gametrix JetSeat with SimShaker

Windows 10 64 Bit Home Edition

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• ED Team

Many people who have problems are usually running settings to high, or are using a much higher resolution for their headsets native resolution. Eveyones systems are different and they have different preferences, its all about finding a balance.

Im getting great frames currently in DCS and Syria, that is with the VIVE Cosmos.

thanks

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

Many people who have problems are usually running settings to high, or are using a much higher resolution for their headsets native resolution. Eveyones systems are different and they have different preferences, its all about finding a balance.

Im getting great frames currently in DCS and Syria, that is with the VIVE Cosmos.

thanks

Hi BIGNEWY,

It´s possible for you to share your SteamVR Config and DCS System/VR options please?

It´s the only map i got a lot of stutter (and about 17/25 fps), although i didn´t set to lower settings to compare. When flying it´s fluid like the other maps i have (Nevada, PG) but on the ground stutter a lot (of course parked at the ramp there´s a lot around going on), but i don´t get so bad stuttering in other maps with the SC fully decked with personnel/aircraft, Random Air Traffic, and scripts. I tried with a simple mission (just my airframe) and my fps get lower as 17. At night it´s almost unplayable (at the ramp). I´m trying to find the culprit, trying different options, in the end, as a dreamer, i believe Syria map could get better optimization but my knowledge in the matter is nill that´s why i have this questions. I know tihs is all subjective, as you said everyone has different rigs and configs, but i just want to understand if the issue is only from my side or if can be DCS side too.

I have the Valve Index (using in SteamVR SS 1.0 as default and DCS VR Options PD 1.5) and running at 120hz refresh rate, i tried to lower the Index refresh rate for 90hz because i thought it consume a lot resources at 120hz but it´s worse, so i fly at 120hz.

And there are a couple of situations that may have an explanation but they don´t make much sense to me: tried with shadows off and performs worse than Flat option on; changed Water to Medium but it performs better at High setting.

I´m not using any mods when trying the Syria map.

Thank you in advance for everything you and your partners bring me so far.

Best wishes,

Fagulha.

Edited by fagulha

- "Don't be John Wayne in the Break if you´re going to be Jerry Lewis on the Ball".

About carrier ops: "The younger pilots are still quite capable of holding their heads forward against the forces. The older ones have been doing this too long and know better; sore necks make for poor sleep.'

PC: I7 4790K 4.6ghz | 32GB RAM | Zotac GTX 1080Ti 11Gb DDR5x | Water cooler NZXT AIO Kraken x53 | 3.5TB (x4 SSD´s) | Valve Index| Andre´s JeatSeat.

Hi BIGNEWY,

It´s possible for you to share your SteamVR Config and DCS System/VR options please?

It´s the only map i got a lot of stutter (and about 17/25 fps), although i didn´t set to lower settings to compare. When flying it´s fluid like the other maps i have (Nevada, PG) but on the ground stutter a lot (of course parked at the ramp there´s a lot around going on), but i don´t get so bad stuttering in other maps with the SC fully decked with personnel/aircraft, Random Air Traffic, and scripts. I tried with a simple mission (just my airframe) and my fps get lower as 17. At night it´s almost unplayable (at the ramp). I´m trying to find the culprit, trying different options, in the end, as a dreamer, i believe Syrya map could get better optimization but my knowledge in the matter is nill that´s why i have this questions. I know tihs is all subjective, as you said everyone has different rigs and configs, but i just want to understand if the issue is only from my side or if can be DCS side too.

I too see major stutters on this map. Its not even FPS it is stutter. All other maps (I do own them all) perform nothing like this. As it sit's on my end right now, this map is honestly not good enough to record videos with. It is also not smooth enough to really train on, even though it seems like it should be.

This is my 2 cents, personally I am hoping this is just Early Access woes, and an performance increase is in the works. Though I would like some confirmation on that.

Fang

Edited by Fang333333