INS improvements in the 19 Aug 2020 Open Beta

Santi871

Hi all,

We have introduced some fixes and improvements to the Hornet's INS modeling in the 2.5.6.53756 Open Beta. Here's an overview:

1. Previously, in scenarios where GPS is not available, it was necessary to perform a fix (such as TACAN) to complete INS alignment. This is no longer the case - initial alignment position in GND alignment mode is provided by the position of waypoint 0 instead of GPS. Normally, waypoint 0 coincides with the aircraft's initial position at mission start, but it may be edited in the HSI/DATA subpage as necessary prior to alignment. In CV alignment mode, initial position is provided automatically via RF (CV SINS) or manually by the pilot (CV MAN).

2. Previously, INS alignment was not complete after 0.5 OK status was displayed in the HSI, and it was necessary to wait a little longer. This has been fixed: 0.5 OK status now indicates a complete and successful alignment.

3. Alignment times have been tweaked: GND and CV alignment take around 8 minutes now. Stored heading option has been introduced, which reduces alignment time to about 90 seconds. GPS alignment has been introduced which takes around 10 minutes and can be performed on the ground and in flight.

4. The stored heading alignment option can now be selected in the HSI when the INS switch is in the GND or CV position. As mentioned above, it reduces alignment time from about 8 minutes to about 90 seconds.

5. GPS alignment has been introduced. When GPS is available and INS quality is less than 0.5 OK, GPS alignment can be performed by placing in the INS switch in the IFA position and observing the HSI indicates IFA GPS and a countdown. This type of alignment takes about 10 minutes.

6. If the INS switch is moved to the NAV position without a complete alignment (ie status less than 0.5 OK), a crossed out ALGN advisory will be displayed in the left DDI.

7. POS/AINS (GPS aided INS) position keeping mode has been introduced. If GPS is available, once alignment is complete, the INS switch should be moved to and kept in the IFA position as per the normal startup checklist. This enables POS/AINS mode which can be verified in the top left corner in the HSI. In POS/AINS mode, GPS is used in conjunction with INS to provide the position of the aircraft. If GPS is not available, the INS switch should be moved to and kept in the NAV position.

8. If the INS switch is placed in the IFA position before INS alignment is complete, in-flight alignment mode will be entered. IFA GPS (with GPS available) or IFA RDR (with GPS not available) will be displayed in the HSI. In the first case, once alignment is complete, the IFA GPS legend will disappear and POS/AINS mode will be entered automatically. In the second case, once alignment is complete the INS switch should be moved back to the NAV position.

9. If GPS is available and the INS switch is in the NAV position, a P/INS advisory will be displayed. This notifies the pilot that GPS is available but it is not being used to augment the INS because the INS switch is in the NAV position, and that it should be moved to the IFA position to enable POS/AINS mode.

• Like 2

What determines / how can we tell whether GPS is available? It's not something I've run into before

GPS is unavailable if the mission date is set before 1986 or the Hornet is in redfor. The second one can be bypassed with the "unrestricted satnav" option in the editor.

So for most cases, you'll have GPS. One quick way to check is to put the INS switch in NAV after your INS is aligned. If you get a P/INS advisory then GPS is available and you should move the switch to IFA.

what does P/INS indicate on the MFD, i did a full carrier align that took 8 mins 30 secs and said 0.5 ok before i roated it to nav and moved

8700k @5.2ghz delided \ Asus Maxiumus XI code \ RTX 3090 FE \ 32GB DDR4 corsair vengeance RGB @3600 \ 1TB Samsung 960 pro NVME \ 1TB samsung 850evo \ 2TB WD black HDD \ MFG crosswind v2 \  Virpil WARBRD X2 Constellation Alpha L+R and Mongoose CM3 throttle \ ASUSPG348Q 100hz 34 ultrawide 

[/i]https://imgur.com/a/VjNEllM

I cant seem to find out where to select the stored heading alignment button in the HSi. Any help on that? Thanks

Start-up as normal and switch the middle MFD on and set your INS knob to 'GND'/'CV' as appropriate. Once that's done, on the HSI page on the middle MFD you'll see a new option 'STD HDG' along the bottom row. Box that, and you'll get the 90 second align (it takes a couple of seconds to get going)

Start-up as normal and switch the middle MFD on and set your INS knob to 'GND'/'CV' as appropriate. Once that's done, on the HSI page on the middle MFD you'll see a new option 'STD HDG' along the bottom row. Box that, and you'll get the 90 second align (it takes a couple of seconds to get going)

Found it:) Thanks alot!

Maybe all of this isn't simulated yet? Implemented, yes, but not simulated I guess. I started cold and dark and without touching the INS knob I moved the plane quite a lot to a different position. Then I did a GND alignment and it knew exactly the new coordinates of my plane and aligned perfectly. So this appears to be hardcoded as of now.

Stay safe

Will we have an option for CV Cable connection at some point in the future? I'm not really interested in the visual aspects of this, just the systems difference between it and RF.

I'm happy to report that CV CBL (Cable) is in fact enabled! What's the logic for determining if CBL or RF is used for the CINS?:pilotfly::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

1. The stored heading alignment option can now be selected in the HSI when the INS switch is in the GND or CV position. As mentioned above, it reduces alignment time from about 8 minutes to about 90 seconds.

Great news, like these INS improvements! So we can use this stored heading when doing cold start? The result is the same as waiting 8 minutes? Why should we wait 8 minutes? :D

Asus Prime X570-P * Ryzen 5800X3D + Scythe Fuma cooler * RTX 4080 Super * Corsair 64GB DDR4 3600MHz * Samsung 980 pro 1Tb + 2Tb nvme * Samsung 850 EVO 512Gb SSD * Corsair RM850x V2/2018 * HP Reverb G2 * CH Fighterstick/Pedals/Throttle * Win11

thx for that:)

Maybe all of this isn't simulated yet? Implemented, yes, but not simulated I guess. I started cold and dark and without touching the INS knob I moved the plane quite a lot to a different position. Then I did a GND alignment and it knew exactly the new coordinates of my plane and aligned perfectly. So this appears to be hardcoded as of now.

What about intentionally entering a wrong LAT LONG for WP 0 and aligning off of that. It should show consistently wrong aircraft position (assuming no GPS) for the duration. I'll try but I suspect it's not coded that way yet.

All the same. Nice changes. Maintain momentum everyone.

I get INS DEGD caution, and I do not know what to do, to make it go away. Velocity vector is all over the place as a result. I wish there was an update on the cold start procedure.

The cold start procedure hasn't fundamentally changed.

On the ground put the INS knob to GND and wait approx 8 minutes for the 0.5 OK status, and then put the knob to NAV or IFA.

INS DEGD message probably means you didn't wait for the full alignment, or you haven't put the knob in IFA.

I got same issue INS DEGD til the last open beta update (today is 20/08/2020). I noticed (not 100% sure) issue appears always I modify any mission I got stored in memory with the mission editor. This issue is really anoying due you can't use Autopilot all mission long

A simple Human being's Passion

[YOUTUBE]

[/YOUTUBE]

Is INS drift (when no GPS available ) modeled?

Would like to know as well!

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

I got same issue INS DEGD til the last open beta update (today is 20/08/2020). I noticed (not 100% sure) issue appears always I modify any mission I got stored in memory with the mission editor. This issue is really anoying due you can't use Autopilot all mission long
In flight align does fix this. Someone I flew with last night fixed it with IFA, takes a while but it does get there evtnaully!