F-14A on the 19th? *wink, wink, nudge nudge*

Southernbear

Haha, Top Jockey, you and your double D... Well, the fault is ours, because at first we made the same mistake that fleet defender did. We thought it would indeed do a double D, but in fact it did not, and it also did not show on the hud. (the manual was unclear and btw natops can be sometimes completely wrong, too. Only through comparing different versions, additional data and SME feedback we figured out what was really going on.)

The answer remains the same as in the previous thread:

"The seeker head does not perform a double D, and ofc it is also not visible in the hud. In CAGE/SEAM it does do a nutation of the seeker to increase missile FOV is all. But no double D."

Also, Fleet Defender, as great as it was, is no reference whatsoever. :smilewink:

Edited by IronMike

Heatblur Simulations

Please feel free to contact me anytime, either via PM here, on the forums, or via email through the contact form on our homepage.

http://www.heatblur.com/

https://www.facebook.com/heatblur/

Dunno if you guys remember (or maybe we changed it even before release, cant really recall), we had it show at first.

Yep, we did have it for a few months.

🖥️ Win10 i7-10700KF 32GB RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M HOTAS   ✈️ FC3, F-14A/B, F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR, PG, Syria

Check my edit, too, I still get this wrong myself sometimes today, I default to thinking it does a double D, but it doesnt at all. Only nutation around the ADL etc, except in BRST.

Heatblur Simulations

Please feel free to contact me anytime, either via PM here, on the forums, or via email through the contact form on our homepage.

http://www.heatblur.com/

https://www.facebook.com/heatblur/

Good grief, glove vanes and sidewinder search patterns again.

It's Friday, today I finished 40 years flying for a living, I'm going to pour myself a Scotch...

:drink:

@Victory205 Well you cant leave us at that and not tell us what kind of scotch...

Also, Im fine with the late 90s A model, as the squadron Im most interested in painting, replicating, and flying only ever had the A models and their last flight was 1998 before transitioning to the lame ass hornet in 1999.

Heatblur Rivet Counting Squad™

VF-11 and VF-31 1988 [WIP]

VF-201 & VF-202 [WIP]

The RWR is a page called on the VDI, right? Just like the HSI and the TID?

The RWR can be displayed on the HSD by putting the HSD switch into ECM. Not sure what the ECM switch to the right of the mode switch does though.

Correct! There goes me, mixing up the VDI and HSD! :doh:

Modules: FC3, Mirage 2000C, Harrier AV-8B NA, F-5, AJS-37 Viggen, F-14B, F-14A, Combined Arms, F/A-18C, F-16C, MiG-19P, F-86, MiG-15, FW-190A, Spitfire Mk IX, UH-1 Huey, Su-25, P-51PD, Caucasus map, Nevada map, Persian Gulf map, Marianas map, Syria Map, Super Carrier, Sinai map, Mosquito, P-51, AH-64 Apache

oh skin wise, you will still get some nice early paints... we don't suck that hard hahaha

Ok...well since we are getting an newer F-14A I have a question, I made a forum post a while back which Cobra commented on essentially saying they were trying to do this but, does that mean we can still expect earlier weapons primarily the AIM-7E4 and Early AIM-9s? (J or N I think) so we can use them with the early paints and "pretend" its an F-14A from 1975-80?

Tonight, it’s Aberlour 12. I work out a lot, so I don’t drink often. Usually Friday nights only.

So you're officially retired for the last time? Fridays are Glenmorangie 18 for me.

Break break.....the gloves vanes are irrelevant so let it the **** go everyone....its the throttles on the starboard side I'm concerned about.....:D

[sigpic][/sigpic]

US Air Force Retired, 1C371

No rank or title will ever be as important as the unit patch you wear.

Would it be realistic to expect the A to come with the September update? It's been the main reason for me to look forward to DCS updates for the last 10-12 months, that's how eagerly I'm awaiting it :)

Not to mention my 2 WIP campaigns waiting for the B to be swapped for the A :D

That’s our goal, the nozzles are the last remaining major item. I’m not an art guy but sounds like it’s a pain to do the animations for them but they should be compete in the next couple days and then we will send the A out to testers.

Systems Engineer & FM Modeler

Heatblur Simulations

Haha, Top Jockey, you and your double D... Well, the fault is ours, because at first we made the same mistake that fleet defender did. We thought it would indeed do a double D, but in fact it did not, and it also did not show on the hud. (the manual was unclear and btw natops can be sometimes completely wrong, too. Only through comparing different versions, additional data and SME feedback we figured out what was really going on.)

The answer remains the same as in the previous thread:

"The seeker head does not perform a double D, and ofc it is also not visible in the hud. In CAGE/SEAM it does do a nutation of the seeker to increase missile FOV is all. But no double D."

Also, Fleet Defender, as great as it was, is no reference whatsoever. :smilewink:

Check my edit, too, I still get this wrong myself sometimes today, I default to thinking it does a double D, but it doesnt at all. Only nutation around the ADL etc, except in BRST.

Thank you for your time IronMike.

In bold, you mean the specific F-14 versions featured in the sim (by Heatblur), or all the iterations of F-14A, A+ and B in the real life ?

And my doubt is purely about real life F-14s.

Because according to one of your devs, the docs which mention the double-D search pattern come from the early 70s (references to the AIM-9G), but doesn't explicitly say the scan pattern is shown on the HUD.

So what I get from it is that: the double-D pattern existed indeed before the concentric circle one, but probably only in the very first F-14s... again - in the real life.

edit

Regarding "Fleet Defender", I believe they were groundbreaking at their time, and very highly regarded avionics features wise, also the producers went to NAS Oceana were they did their research.

Still, can't imagine why would they invent / create that AIM-9 visible pattern feature, it's just that.

Edited by Top Jockey

Hangar
FC3 | F-14A/B | F-16C | F/A-18C | MiG-21bis | Mirage 2000C ... ... JA 37 | Kfir | MiG-23 | Mirage IIIE
Mi-8 MTV2

system
i7-4790 K , 16 GB DDR3 , GTX 1660 Ti 6GB , Samsung 860 QVO 1TB

Will the -A get its own trailer?

Not sure, maybe not a full trailer but perhaps a short video or something. Not my call to make though. Someone’s gotta remake the Sidra and Top Gun intro videos with the proper Tomcat model :)

Systems Engineer & FM Modeler

Heatblur Simulations

The Final Countdown was filmed in 1979, never saw one glove vane. Case dismissed.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

F-14B, F-16, F-18C, A-10C, F-5E, F-86, FC3, BF-109, FW-190, P-51, Spitfire, UH-1,AJS-37 Viggen, MIG-15, MIG-19, MIG-21, AV-8B Harrier, P-47D

Persian Gulf, Caucuses, NTTR, Normandy, The Channel, Syria

Combined Arms, WWII Assets,Super Carrier

TM Warthog, Virpil VFX,BuddyFox UFC, Saitek Pro Flight quadrant & Switch Panel, Odyssey+ VR, Jet Pad w/ SSA, Voice Attack w/Viacom Pro

GeForce RTX2080TI OC, Intel Core i7-7700K 4.5Ghz, 64GB DDR4, Dedicated 1TB SSD