Touch & go’s

JTAnimal

Let me start by saying I am new to DCS world. I use to fly advanced tactical fighters back in the 90’s but got away from that and started flying RC helicopters. Now with this COVID stuff I went back to see what I could find, in the flight sim area, and man flight sims have grown up. I love it! Ok now on to my question. I have the F18C and super carrier mods, I want to practice touch & go’s is there a way to set up a mission to allow me to do t&g and have the LSO grade my landings? I flew a “Mission Qualification-Supercarrier CASE 1 Recovery“ messed up and went around, next landing I was getting low on fuel so I landed, requested fuel but then it wouldn’t give me the option to take off, and the launch crew was just standing around starring like dummies (O that’s right they are dummies) anyway is there a way to create a mission to just do simple touch and go’s, to help me get landing better

I was in the navy in the 80’s, did 2 cruises, West Pac & Med, pilots did T & G lots of times. I thought it was strange that it’s not in the carrier training??

Will the LSO give you a grade even though your hook is in the up position?

no you have to land, you can set your own SC set up in ME with different conditons and with different carriers and with AI aircraft as well takeing off and landing with you as well

Edited by pete_auau

Sometimes when I practiced quick and dirty for figuring out something, after trap, hook up, I turn my nose to bow, first flaps up and then Full, so to reset FCS, reset FCS anyway, push takeoff trim, if heavy trim 16 (don't really need that), feet on brakes, full throttle, keep on brakes when you start rolling slow until full afterburner, let go of brakes and you're off for a quickie.

| VR goggles | Autopilot panel | Headtracker | TM HOTAS | G920 HOTAS | MS FFB 2 | Throttle Quadrants | 8600K | GTX 1080 | 64GB RAM| Win 10 x64 | Voicerecognition | 50" UHD TV monitor | 40" 1080p TV monitor | 2x 24" 1080p side monitors | 24" 1080p touchscreen |

'Request Take-off' is in the COM menu under Deck Crew, btw, it 'seems' a bit borked when in a mission with incoming planes. Crew will pause when someone or AI is nearing the groove, even if you're hooked on the Cat and boat seems clear, in particular but not exclusively 3 & 4, sometimes its better to go off the hook to another Cat.

Edited by majapahit

| VR goggles | Autopilot panel | Headtracker | TM HOTAS | G920 HOTAS | MS FFB 2 | Throttle Quadrants | 8600K | GTX 1080 | 64GB RAM| Win 10 x64 | Voicerecognition | 50" UHD TV monitor | 40" 1080p TV monitor | 2x 24" 1080p side monitors | 24" 1080p touchscreen |

Sometimes when I practiced quick and dirty for figuring out something, after trap, hook up, I turn my nose to bow, first flaps up and then Full, so to reset FCS, reset FCS anyway, push takeoff trim, if heavy trim 16 (don't really need that), feet on brakes, full throttle, keep on brakes when you start rolling slow until full afterburner, let go of brakes and you're off for a quickie.

What a nonsense in general and about trim in particular

:smilewink:I'm not sure you should be anywhere near the brakes before or during a cat shot. Unless you want the nose gear removed....

You're not in the Cat, unless you're illiterate,

this is doing a Admiral Kuznetsov to be back in the air in a jiffy for training.

How's your eye sight, boys.

Edited by majapahit

LOMAC, FC, DCS, AV-8B, F/A-18, F-16, AH-64, Super Carrier, Persian Gulf, Syria.

i7 12700K, 4070 Ti PNY XLR8 OC, 64 RAM DDR4 3200, B660M Aorus Pro, 1T NVMe Kingston Fury Renegade (DCS), 1T NVMe Kingston NV2 (OS), ASUS QHD 31,5" VG32VQ1B, VKB Gladiator Pro (metal gimbal) + Kosmosima grip, CH Pro Throttle, TIR 5.

The supercarrier LSO will grade a hook-up approach... kind of. You'll see the critique of your approach - WX (H)AR, etc... but the actual grade will incorrectly always be a Bolter, even if the hook was up. It's a really glaring problem (along with the LSO's grading in general) with what is otherwise a great module, and I sure hope it's a high-priority fix.

I think what Pete is saying is that the training missions are scripted, and some have limited fuel by default. After you get comfortable, you should head over to the Mission Editor. It's easy to use after you click around in it for a few days, and the manual is very detailed. Lots of good videos online showing how to do basic stuff. Add a carrier group and bounce away.