[REPORTED]Haifa oil refinery cooling towers

BarTzi

Dear Ugra,

While watching this video

I was seriously impressed by the level of details, unique buildings and overall attention to details of Haifa and the surrounding area.

However, I could not help but notice one of the major landmarks of the city was missing. I'm talking about the refinery cooling towers.

Compare your approach to the runway:

to this one of a 172:
or this one:
to get a sense of their size. They are 270 feet tall.

This is probably the easiest way to recognize the Haifa refinery compound (which is one of the most strategic positions on this map), and it can't be missed while approaching the airport. It is also widely recognizable by anyone who lived or grew up in the city - you can say it's one of the symbols of the city.

The refinery even used to light the area during the night: https://media.sciencephoto.com/c0/03/71/67/c0037167-800px-wm.jpg

Also - as a side note, the top part of one of them recently collapsed:

https://www.ynet.co.il/PicServer5/2020/06/12/10030562/100305610992499640360no.jpg

I think it will be really nice of you guys to consider adding it in the future.

Edited by BarTzi
  • Like 1

Dear Ugra,

While watching this video

I was seriously impressed by the level of details, unique buildings and overall attention to details of Haifa and the surrounding area.

However, I could not help but notice one of the major landmarks of the city was missing. I'm talking about the refinery cooling towers.

Compare your approach to the runway:

to this one of a 172:
or this one:
to get a sense of their size.

This is probably the easiest way to recognize the Haifa refinery compound (which is one of the most strategic positions on this map), and it can't be missed while approaching the airport. It is also widely recognizable by anyone who lived or grew up in the city - you can say it's one of the symbols of the city.

The refinery even used to light the area during the night: https://media.sciencephoto.com/c0/03/71/67/c0037167-800px-wm.jpg

Also - as a side note, the top part of one of them recently collapsed:

https://www.ynet.co.il/PicServer5/2020/06/12/10030562/100305610992499640360no.jpg

I think it will be really nice of you guys to consider adding it in the future.

:thumbup: Excellent information, it would be nice to add these cooling towers

FORTIS FORTUNA ADIUVAT

Wow, who’s the idiot who approved those towers being built in the flight path, or the airport being built there. Depends on what’s was built first.

The airport was there four years before they started building the refinery. Although both were expanded with time, the British mandate is credited for the original construction of the refinery and the airport.

They are listed in the airport charts as obstacles.

Edited by BarTzi

Nice one BarTzi. It's these kind of details that give map just that little bit of extra :thumbup:

Comparing your video's with the one from Ugra, I think a few (or actually a lot) more chimneys should also be added.

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

Nice one BarTzi. It's these kind of details that give map just that little bit of extra :thumbup:

Comparing your video's with the one from Ugra, I think a few (or actually a lot) more chimneys should also be added.

It's a massive compound. Here's a good view of it when the airplane turns around for final:

Those chimneys can really light up the sky.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...