Zoomed startup cockpit view.

Chitto

hi. i get this in F18. my joystick has a paddle on the throttle that i have mapped to zoom. all i do is tap it and the zoom returns to normal. i also use TrackIR which all i do after getting right on my zoom i center it. if you only see this occur in F14 (one module) then it must be a mapping issue or something. see if this helps but this is for every module.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=224832

try to reset views which i believe is default Number pad 5.

AKA_SilverDevil AKA Forums My YouTube

“It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.” — Mark Twain

try to reset views which i believe is default Number pad 5.
This resets the viewpoint to default but does not reset the zoom itself.

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

All the aircraft used to start with a zoomed-in view. Maybe they still do, I haven’t noticed. Possibly it was to reduce loading time. It really annoyed people. So perhaps Heatblur went the other way.

i9-14900KS | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

For me all modules start with zoomed out

NZXT H9 Flow Black | Intel Core i5 13600KF OCed P5.6 E4.4 | Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo DDR5-6000 32GB C30 OCed 6600 C32 | nVidia GeForce RTX 4090 Founders Edition |  Western Digital SN770 2TB | Gigabyte GP-UD1000GM PG5 ATX 3.0 1000W | SteelSeries Apex 7 | Razer Viper Mini | SteelSeries Artics Nova 7 | LG OLED42C2 | Xiaomi P1 55"

Virpil T-50 CM2 Base + Thrustmaster Warthog Stick | WinWing Orion 2 F16EX Viper Throttle  | WinWing ICP | 3 x Thrustmaster MFD | Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals | Oculus Quest 2

DCS World | Persian Gulf | Syria | Flaming Cliff 3 | P-51D Mustang | Spitfire LF Mk. IX | Fw-109 A-8 | A-10C II Tank Killer | F/A-18C Hornet | F-14B Tomcat | F-16C Viper | F-15E Strike Eagle | M2000C | Ka-50 BlackShark III | Mi-24P Hind | AH-64D Apache | SuperCarrier

I had a similar issue and I resolved it by checking 'Synchronise Cockpit Controls with HOTAS Controls at Start' in Settings>Misc.

Do you guys have that ticked?

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

All aircraft have different default fov they start with. You can edit/add config file for each one to set yours.

The other way is to get to aircraft, set desired fov, save view settings and then, whenever you enter this aircraft you hit NumEnter to get the saved view back. I use the latter in F-14.

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

All aircraft have different default fov they start with. You can edit/add config file for each one to set yours.

The other way is to get to aircraft, set desired fov, save view settings and then, whenever you enter this aircraft you hit NumEnter to get the saved view back. I use the latter in F-14.

I think if the issue here is the same as mine was, then that is not the point. Some modules have a zoomed out starting point that bears no relation to the neutral zoom axis point. Now that is easily resolved by just touching the zoom axis, then things go back to normal. However, my suggestion above in my last post resolved the issue completely in all modules for me. They all now start at my zoom axis neutral point.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

Do you have an idea which file because i'm searching for this. So far no luck (i'm not talking about the snapview.lua).

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

Do you have an idea which file because i'm searching for this. So far no luck (i'm not talking about the snapview.lua).

He will be talking about the snapview.lua file. There is a section in there for each aircraft that defines the starting view.

I know I've mentioned this a few times now, but have you got the 'Synchronise Cockpit Controls with HOTAS Controls at Start' in Settings>Misc checked?

I know I've mentioned this a few times now, but have you got the 'Synchronise Cockpit Controls with HOTAS Controls at Start' in Settings>Misc checked?

It may only be relevant if you binded some HOTAS axis to zoom. I don't.

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

but have you got the 'Synchronise Cockpit Controls with HOTAS Controls at Start' in Settings>Misc checked?

I had but i unchecked that because of other problems because this function does not work correctly, either checked or unchecked.

It works for zoomview settings, not for other axis inputs.

I set my zoom axis to the throttle slider axis, middle position is default zoom, normal cockpit view.

F/A-18 as example:

The default FOV view for the F/A-18 is 82,5° (different for each aircraft), this value is set whenever you enter the cockpit. But i want a little bigger FOV in the F/A-18 but i can't find that value anywhere. As a solution i did set the min/max FOV angle from 20 - 140 to 30 - 150 in the aircrafts View.lua. This sets the FOV nicely at 90°.

Now, if i leave this setting (Synchronise Cockpit Controls with HOTAS Controls at Start) unchecked and enter the cockpit, it defaults to 82,5° (slider at middle position). When i move the slider a little bit and set it back to the middle, it defaults to 90° FOV.

Now if i check this setting, it defaults right away to 90° which is what i want (not exactly because i want to set that FOV value fix somewhere, not from an average 30-150). So this works for the zoom.

But...

It does not work for my throttle and brake axis on my rudder pedals.

If i check Synchronise Cockpit Controls with HOTAS Controls at Start, i always enter the cockpit with full throttle and full brakes when they are set to zero in reality.

If i leave it unchecked, i enter the cockpit with the throttle and brake axis correct value.

So for me this setting is broken somehow, it works but then it doesn't or vice versa.

I had but i unchecked that because of other problems because this function does not work correctly, either checked or unchecked.

It works for zoomview settings, not for other axis inputs.

I set my zoom axis to the throttle slider axis, middle position is default zoom, normal cockpit view.

F/A-18 as example:

The default FOV view for the F/A-18 is 82,5° (different for each aircraft), this value is set whenever you enter the cockpit. But i want a little bigger FOV in the F/A-18 but i can't find that value anywhere. As a solution i did set the min/max FOV angle from 20 - 140 to 30 - 150 in the aircrafts View.lua. This sets the FOV nicely at 90°.

Now, if i leave this setting (Synchronise Cockpit Controls with HOTAS Controls at Start) unchecked and enter the cockpit, it defaults to 82,5° (slider at middle position). When i move the slider a little bit and set it back to the middle, it defaults to 90° FOV.

Now if i check this setting, it defaults right away to 90° which is what i want (not exactly because i want to set that FOV value fix somewhere, not from an average 30-150). So this works for the zoom.

But...

It does not work for my throttle and brake axis on my rudder pedals.

If i check Synchronise Cockpit Controls with HOTAS Controls at Start, i always enter the cockpit with full throttle and full brakes when they are set to zero in reality.

If i leave it unchecked, i enter the cockpit with the throttle and brake axis correct value.

So for me this setting is broken somehow, it works but then it doesn't or vice versa.

Hmm, interesting, works perfectly for me for all axis. Throttle, pedal brakes, etc. all OK.

Where does your 83 degrees come from? In the default view setting in snapviews.lua, the Hornet defaults to 63 degrees for me.

i messed around with this yesterday and am a little confused. i have the TM16000 system. on the joystick there is a throttle slider which i do not use. i use the hat to zoom slow in and out. the hat works and sticks. on the throttle there is a paddle that i have always used in all aircraft as zoom. it does not produce a permanent zoom. it goes in or out depending on which direction i use. but it always snaps back to center. i looked at my FOV for the hornet yesterday and it always goes back to 80. i set my FOV default to 74 which exterior view and interior view ground objects have the same size. but when i touch the paddle it goes back to 80. i like the paddle but want to figure out a way for its default to be the 74.

any idea where the 80 comes from?

[13] = {--default view

viewAngle = 74.000000,--FOV

hAngle = -1.673095,

vAngle = -16.099169,

x_trans = 0.130000,

y_trans = 0.014498,

z_trans = 0.017014,

rollAngle = -0.000000,

cockpit_version = 0,

},

AKA_SilverDevil AKA Forums My YouTube

“It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.” — Mark Twain

Where does your 83 degrees come from? In the default view setting in snapviews.lua, the Hornet defaults to 63 degrees for me.

Yes for me too but that's not the value i see when i use the LCTRL-Pause to bring up the FPS. If i look there the default FOV value for the F/A-18 is 82,5°.

If i then change the CameraViewAngleLimits in the View.lua (in the DCS aircraft folder, not in the Saved Games folder) from 20 - 140 to 30 - 150 then i get a FOV of 90° when the zoom axis sits right in the middle.

So that 63° is something else i guess.

With all these different files and values it's acutally difficult to know which is exactly used in game.

any idea where the 80 comes from?

I guess that that 80° comes from the View.lua in the DCS aircraft folder (not Saved Games folder). There you have this by default:

ViewSettings = {

Cockpit = {

[1] = {-- player slot 1

CameraViewAngleLimits = {20.000000,140.000000},

CockpitLocalPoint = {3.533,1.156,0.0},

If you take the middle of 20 and 140 then that's 80°. I guess that is the default FOV value because i set that to 30-150, i get 90° FOV as default which is the middle of 30 and 150.

Hi All;

Thanks for all of your input.

I tried the suggestions in this thread but unfortunately without success.

Synchronize Cockpit Controls with HOTAS Controls at Start' was enabled, I tried w/disabled, nogo.

Tried the Num 5 and cockpit adjustment's etc, still nogo.

Reading the comments regarding the *.lua just might offer the reprieve I and a few here seem to be looking for.

Has anyone determined which should be adjusted, the snap-view or view.lua?

y4mmI1eecu9p6MKdJHfsWwADGP7alsH11xMFjFf0cy6H6hwgSyJFCQobYq3a9-5ILmFN9LNnxREULZ-WPoKj5OrNL4MTivni5dyt9ORrrzE23X86SdWqeJOH4GWIMv3pXNsutRJ3zlEz0DM87jqmTE215i7eVJsyNescQOT2CnQzCW81Cg3LpYA0vs8LLb_t5iOB9QvksPhyETFwxpAzLnLmw?width=559&height=367&cropmode=none

Alienware R8 i9-9900k

nVidia 2080ti 11GB GDDR6

32gb DDR4 XMP at 2933MHz

Dell 32" S3220DGF monitor

Samsung MX-279 27" IPS

Killer Wi-Fi 6 AX1650

1TB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD

Samsung 500gb 860 EVO

Samsung 256gb 850 Pro

Corsair 180gb Force GT

TM-Warthog HOTAS

Logitech 510s keyboard

Logitech G700s Mouse

Logitech G13 Gameboard

Edited by Chitto

Normally the View.lua sits in the original DCS folder, the snapviews.lua in the Saved Games folder. Normally editable files reside in the Saved Games folder. What happens if you delete that snapviews.lua in the Saved Games folder (Saved Games\DCS\Config\View\)?

Normally the View.lua sits in the original DCS folder, the snapviews.lua in the Saved Games folder. Normally editable files reside in the Saved Games folder. What happens if you delete that snapviews.lua in the Saved Games folder (Saved Games\DCS\Config\View\)?

I'll give the deletion a go and see what happens. Thx!:thumbup:

I'll give the deletion a go and see what happens. Thx!:thumbup:

Update: Lang_666

I tried your suggestion but the zoomed view remained. I had hoped a new view.lua would be created without the zoomed view.

I'm thinking maybe copying the view settings from another a/c, i.e. that isn't affected and pasting it into the F-14

Which line(s) are the default view and which LUA? View or Snapview?

Normally, the View.lua files don't need to be touched, these reside in the main DCS installation. You have a general one in the Config/View folder and then "most" aircraft have their View.lua which can be found in the Mods/Aircraft/xxx folder. The F14 does not have a View.lua file!!

Then you have the default SnapViewDefault.lua to be found in Config/View folder, this some sort of viewpoints database for each aircraft (in one big file). You also have the server.lua in there. This last one contains some cockpit view point data for FC3 aircraft.

Once you change some viewpoints in game and save them (RALT+Num0) they go into a file called snapview.lua but this then goes into your Saved Games folder C:\Users\your name\Saved Games\DCS\Config\View.

It's this last file you need to delete and then DCS will default back to the original viewpoints.

If you messed around with the SnapViewsDefault.lua file from the DCS folder itself, then those are the defaults. Things can normally repaired by doing a repair.

I'll send my original SnapViewsDefault.lua through PM so you can replace yours with this one (back yours up first or rename it).

It goes into Drive:\Eagle Dynamics\DCS Wold\Config\View\

Zoom problem solved

I discovered the problem with the zoomed-out view when entering the F-14B. It was Lange_666 who stirred my suspicion or better, my flat lined brain. He sent me a file to try which did not work. So, I dove into comparing my file against Langes. All seemed normal.

I then moved on to comparing the F-14B key map via HTML, with my other modules mapping and discovered that in the AXIS COMMANDS "and" out of view at the bottom of the page was "Zoom View" mapped to JOY_SLIDER1 (My Hog throttle).

I have not mapped Joy_Slider1 to zoom on any other module so I didn't pay it any attention and since I didn’t see that it was in fact mapped. I had not decided yet what to map the slider to. Hence, I had it set in the full back position prior to entering the F-14B.

I removed the mapping and VOILA’ any chances my being normal again might begin to rise. :D

Thanks again everyone and Lange_666 for your help/ideas and files and my apologies for the wild goose chance.