GBU 38 inaccuracy

Ralphk

Hey folks i noticed that while engaging target with the jdam on a slant terrain my gbu is not hitting the spi and missing by 2 meters or so... what could be the reason? I am within release parameters...

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

OK, TGP is calculating intersection of TGP LOS with DTSAS surface with assumption of A-10 EGI position. EGI position is perfect so this can be ignored. DTSAS surface is a database of terrain in memory which is similar but not exactly equal to actual terrain.

Calculated intersection of TGP look direction and this surface is only approximately equal to intersection of this line of sight to actual terrain. Additionally vehicle is not in terrain database so it is not accounted for in calculation.

Try to look at coordinate display on TGP page first without and then with laser rangefinder firing. You will see that coordinates under cursor are different with and without this laser range information. This is because target position calculation is now using TGP LOS and laser range instead of surface intersection. Try dropping a JDAM against the target while laser rangefinder is on and you will see improved accuracy.

I think it's a new bug problem or something like that. I have the same problem: Last week I make my SPI with TGP and when i have the "MAN RELEASE" i release the bomb and always hit the target...

Now, it's imposible. The bomb always falls 3 meters before... I must release the bomb when the indicator of the CCRP reticule it's in the half position. It's the only way to hit the target,...

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Freferf to follow ur logic i indeed saw q difference in coordinates and i marked the spi while lasing and was subsequently able to hit the targets.. so basically the spi should be set while lasing.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Question: Since TGP becomes the designation source on TMS long up, does the range revert back to DTSAS when the laser stops firing, or does it keep the laser for slant range until the pod is slewed again?

I usually set SPI with TMS Long up with the TGP as SOI, then briefly hold the lase button for a second or so, but I do not leave it on through the whole attack (and do not slew the pod again either. If I do, I re-lase when I'm done)

Two meters off, is ON target. Anything within 50 meters is OK for JDAM. Within 10 meters is ON target. If you want to put a bomb into a manhole, use LGB.

JDAM WEZ when fully aligned on an aircraft with tightly coupled GPS is like 9m

50m is expected when GPS not tightly coupled, at least according to the Harrier documentation. I doubt the A10 is worse than this, and it certainly isn't off by that amount in DCS unless I do something wrong. You are right though, if it it's pinpoint accuracy you want, it's hard to beat an LGB, at least in DCS.