Antenna Elevation Control and TGP Zoom

I have a TM Warthog HOTAS and use the throttle coolie switch up and down to control the antenna elevations up and down, and it works like a charm :)

attachment.php?attachmentid=201027&d=1546232932

But the assigned coolie switch is then automatically also the TGP zoom in and out switch, because on the Real-World™ Hornet HOTAS the Antenna Switch doubles as the TGP zoom in/out switch.

Coolie switch up for antenna up and coolie switch down for antenna down is intuitive and ergonomic, for me anyway.

But on the TGP things look different. Coolie switch down (push motion with the finger) is to me logically zoom-in, and coolie switch up (pull motion with the finger) is zoom-out. Logically to me.

The problem is, the TGP zoom works exactly opposite of that. Up = zoom-in and down = zoom-out :cry:

I there any way to fix this, to be logical, at least in my eyes?

When you hit the wrong button on take-off

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler
System board: MSI X670E ACE Memory: 64GB DDR5-6000 G.Skill Ripjaw System disk: Crucial P5 M.2 2TB
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D PSU: Corsair HX1200 PSU Monitor: ASUS MG279Q, 27"
CPU cooling: Noctua NH-D15S Graphics card: MSI RTX 3090Ti SuprimX VR: Oculus Rift CV1

I don't think so. You could change your bindings, but then the elevation is the opposite too...

Yes, I thought about that too. I want BOTH *gasp!!* to work ergonomically. RFI I guess.

Push the switch (down) to 'push' the image away, pull the switch (up) to pull the image toward you.

*bzzap* wrong, but thank you for playing the game :thumbup:

Ergonomics is not bending yourself into pretzels to fit someone else's schema, but making the scheme fit to body and mind.

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler
System board: MSI X670E ACE Memory: 64GB DDR5-6000 G.Skill Ripjaw System disk: Crucial P5 M.2 2TB
CPU cooling: Noctua NH-D15S Graphics card: MSI RTX 3090Ti SuprimX VR: Oculus Rift CV1

Can't help you change it, but I agree that it doesn't compute easily in my brain when I'm changing between the two :(:cry:. However, I know from experience that with something like this there will be others with perceptions that are exactly the opposite, so I just have to deal with it.

I have a TM Warthog HOTAS and use the throttle coolie switch up and down to control the antenna elevations up and down, and it works like a charm :)

attachment.php?attachmentid=201027&d=1546232932

But the assigned coolie switch is then automatically also the TGP zoom in and out switch, because on the Real-World™ Hornet HOTAS the Antenna Switch doubles as the TGP zoom in/out switch.

Coolie switch up for antenna up and coolie switch down for antenna down is intuitive and ergonomic, for me anyway.

But on the TGP things look different. Coolie switch down (push motion with the finger) is to me logically zoom-in, and coolie switch up (pull motion with the finger) is zoom-out. Logically to me.

The problem is, the TGP zoom works exactly opposite of that. Up = zoom-in and down = zoom-out :cry:

I there any way to fix this, to be logical, at least in my eyes?

Perhaps it only controls the TGP if the system is in that mode. Have tried using a modifier in conjunction with the Coolie switch (probably shouldn’t call it that since these days since someone is likely to take offense). If it works that way in a “real” Hornet, then there’s must be something to tell the system which mode it’s in. What does the manual say, Chuck O’s or the DCS.

Edited by Balzarog
Added text.

When all else fails, READ THE INSTRUCTIONS!

i-7 8700K Coffee Lake 5 GHz OC CPU, 32GB Corsair 3200 RAM, GTX1080 Ti 11Gb VRAM. Controls - Thrustmaster Warthog H.O.T.A.S., Saitek Pro rudder pedals, TrackIR 5, Oculus Rift S, Rift CV1

I have it mapped on the DMS switch on the WH stick. That way it makes logical sense for both applications: Push up to elevate the antenna up or to zoom in with the TGP.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

But I already use DMS for something else on multiple aircraft :cry:

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler

But I already use DMS for something else on multiple aircraft :cry:

Well, you have to make some sacrifice here. Either keep DMS as you're used to or have a mapping that's intuitive. I'm afraid having both is not possible in this case.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

Yeahhhhhh no. That's arguing for mediocrity.

It's only software, a program, an algorithm. It can be changed by modifying some text in a file and voila you have a setting for switching which direction the zoom is. It's that simple.

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler