What a trip - Thank You DCS - First campaign mission - VR

spacefox

Hi DCS Team and DCS Campaign creators,

Yesterday I finally finished 1st mission of Georgian War in F-15C in VR.

What a Trip!!!!

Still learning all controls fidelity. I actually have 3 joysticks to have all buttons - Main joystick is T.16000 with pedals+throttle, HotasX and Xbox Controller (comes with Rift S) for button management. Topped with Voiceattack for commands like close Canopy etc.

Here on the forums I hear that F-15C is low fidelity model. Crazy!!!!

Sensational experience - especially when I was under AWACs plane and I could see all the contrails above the canopy in VR. Super thrilling experience.

I even had to pause and learn what AWACs statements like BRA, 183 for 10 at 2000, hot mean. For me I always thinking BRA, panties and hot :smilewink: but that is a different topic.

Obviously landing is challenging for some reason (never had a problem in P3D) but landed and completed the mission with full 100.

It is experience in VR which was just mind blowing. Thank you for this experience, I just can't wait for better VR headsets and more engine improvements from you guys. I want more campaigns with story!!!!

Thank you Thank You

Specs: i7-5820K - 4.4 Ghz OC, 64GB Ram, RTX 2070 Super, Rift S

VAICOM makes radio transmissions more immersive, as it communicates directly with DCS. It only uses VA for the speech recognition.

So, you basically talk to the ATC, ground crew, JTAC, AWACS etc.

You can say inbound, etc as many times as you wish. It doesn't use the comms menu at all!

I don't have the F-14, so I haven't tried that one, even though I have the F-14 addon. Also the Super Carrier addon.

If you already have Voice Attack, you can try VAICOM for free.

vaicompro.com

There's some videos there that's worth watching. It's a little tinkering to get it going. Setting up radio switches etc. You cannot use the same VA PTT button, but you don't need to. You can also use your Voice Attack profiles together with it, to control switches etc.

Have a look, it will be worth your time!

Cheers!

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk

I gotta get me a VR headset...the experience I hear is fantastic, and you, OP, confirmed that again.

Although I'm going to have to lock my game room door, as I don't want my girl seeing me with a box on my head though.

VAICOM? Going to have to check that out, same with VoiceAttack, which I don't use yet, but thinking about it so I can talk to Jester.

Thanks and good day!

DrDetroit

Edited by DrDetroit

I found the experience to be so much improved with VR that I can't imagine going back. The resolution is not as high, and there are some nuances that need to be adjusted to (things like the color MFD's require adjusting each flight to make the moving map readable) but on the balance it's amazing. I struggled mightily with carrier landings until I switched to VR and now I can plop it on the deck without much fuss.

Couldn't agree more about the immersion factor of VR. We haven't arrived yet at the nirvana of clarity and smoothness (generally having to decide which we want more because of hardware limitations). But VR is where it's at in FS as far as I am concerned.

VoiceAttack - is the VR pilot's best friend past a good Hotas system. It takes very little to master the basics of it and promotes immersion - nothing more immersion killing then lifting the VR glasses up to use the keyboard.

Vaicom - I own it, and have tried twice to learn it. I can definitely see the benefit to it if mastered. But I can not recommend it to a flight sim newbee. Take things a step at a time. Learn to make voice attack your tool first.