Colored Smoke Markers Blinding All FLIR Systems

Xoho

This occurs in both the Open Beta and Release versions of DCS, and has been present for over a year. Most of the people I play with have this exact issue, and it has been reported in the past. I have attached three tracks showcasing 3 different modules equipped with 5 different FLIR systems (TGP and AGM-65D/G), along with a video showing my perspective of all three. This affects ALL modules equipped with a FLIR system, not just these three.

Why this matters: Nearly all singleplayer training and instant action missions (that incorporate air to ground) are affected by this issue. In some cases it makes the required task impossible to complete. It also negatively affects many multiplayer missions, and has been present for many people for many, many months.

Note: Other objects have recently begun causing the same behavior, however I have not narrowed down exactly which ones at this time.

Video link:

Mission link for the F/A-18C Lot 20 is also attached. Aircraft can be swapped with any other without affecting the outcome.

EDIT: I also clear the metashaders2 and fxo folders after each update and run a repair. I have reinstalled the OB version twice since I first saw this problem pop up, and it also occurs on a fresh "Stable" release version I downloaded less than three months ago.

A-10C FLIR_Smoke Marker Bug #001.trk

FA-18C FLIR_Smoke Marker Bug #001.trk

Su-25T FLIR_Smoke Marker Bug #001.trk

FLIR Smoke Marker Bug Test Mission #001.miz

Screen_200811_142631.thumb.png.1f2c0dd84176e0267fa6fe6f0e76d9af.png

Screen_200811_143136.thumb.png.433296b7a6bec7df01747d8ff00b0c4d.png

Screen_200811_142200.thumb.png.114470da5161e4741d5df7dedfec1390.png

Edited by Xoho

Ad I understand it, this will probably remain until they finish the new IR rebuild. I don't believe they've quoted a timeline for the new IR system.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

That's probably true, though I created this post after I was told that they had been unable to recreate it. Hopefully this helps them diagnose the issue, or at least put in a temporary fix. It really is quite a shame that many of the training and instant action missions in game are affected by this.

• 4 months later...

I noticed that this gets accumulated and gets worse and removing fxo and metashaders2 fixes it.  Then it accumulates again.

If you have Nvidia card, setting Shader Cache to "Off" in Nvidia setting seems to help.  It does increase loading time somewhat however.  But it's not as long as deleting fxo and metashaders2.

• 3 months later...
On 12/19/2020 at 11:15 PM, Taz1004 said:

I noticed that this gets accumulated and gets worse and removing fxo and metashaders2 fixes it.  Then it accumulates again.

If you have Nvidia card, setting Shader Cache to "Off" in Nvidia setting seems to help.  It does increase loading time somewhat however.  But it's not as long as deleting fxo and metashaders2.

Thanks for the tip. Unfortunately this issue still occurs for me despite clearing those every update (and even with a full reinstallation).

• 3 weeks later...

Funny thing, I noticed it too, but in A-10C II. And not just colored smoke, but also a smoke from burning vehicles, when they are in close groups. I thought it wasn't a bug, but how the FLIR works - an effect of heat from fire.

Edited by JetJake76