SteamVR crashing a lot lately

sirrah

Anyone else experiencing this? (If not, I'll have to further investigate what's going on here)

Since last SteamVR update, SteamVR seems to crash at about 15mins after first startup. After restarting SteamVR (and DCS) it keeps working.

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

I suppose I'm the only one having these issues then.

Does anyone have any idea where I could start investigating what's going on? Or is there a way to see a crash log somewhere?

(all I get is this critical error, without any further explanation :()

2020_08_11_18_20_52_Window.jpg.d15b5ec17d86430c2069c78ec679bbb8.jpg

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

i had this once today, the only thin g i can think of is make sure you have WMR for steam on the beta as well...

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

YOUTUBE CHANNEL: @speed-of-heat

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

I suppose I'm the only one having these issues then.

Does anyone have any idea where I could start investigating what's going on? Or is there a way to see a crash log somewhere?

(all I get is this critical error, without any further explanation :()

Is it extremely hot at your location just like rest of Europe? Maybe this is just caused by PC overheating?

Is it extremely hot at your location just like rest of Europe? Maybe this is just caused by PC overheating?

It is indeed. However, it would surprise me if SteamVR would crash because of this. Only SteamVR crashes, not my entire pc.

Then again, maybe someone with more knowledge of these kind of things could jump in and correct me

System specs:

Your Steam installation may just be corrupted. I had that problem with mine several weeks ago, where SteamVR would randomly crash, lockup, or not want to shut down. While that was going on, any time I was playing a VR game and wanted to stop playing that one and start playing another, I couldn't ever get the new game to start in VR. I would actually have to restart my PC each time I wanted to switch the game I was playing. Tried everything I could think of, and nothing fixed it. Then I decided to uninstall the whole Steam application and start over with that. Just had to tell the new installation where to find my library, and I was back in business with no more issues. It was actually fairly painless to do that.

EVGA Z690 Classified, Intel i9 12900KS Alder Lake processor, MSI MAG Core Liquid 360R V2 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler, G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 64GB DDR5 6400 memory, EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra 24GB video card, Samsung 980PRO 1TB M2.2280 SSD for Windows 10 64-bit OS, Samsung 980PRO 2TB M2.2280 SSD for program files, LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray burner. HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pedals, HP Reverb G2. Partridge and pear tree pending. :pilotfly:

Anyone else experiencing this? (If not, I'll have to further investigate what's going on here)

Since last SteamVR update, SteamVR seems to crash at about 15mins after first startup. After restarting SteamVR (and DCS) it keeps working.

+1

Windows 7/10 64bit, Intel i7-4770K 3.9GHZ, 32 GB Ram, Gforce GTX 1080Ti, 11GB GDDR5 Valve Index. Force IPD 63 (for the F-16)

I have been getting fairly regular Steam VR crashes for around a month. I was due a full Windows re-install and did the whole lot including Steam last weekend.

Steam VR is still occasionally crashing while playing DCS.

Asus Z790 PLUS WIFI D4, 13700K RTX 4090 FE, M2. HP Reverb G2.

I was just about hitting the forum to report exactly this. Started a couple of weeks ago and spoils the fun severely ever since.

So I understand it must be sth. general :cry:

Ryzen 3700X, 2080ti, 32GB, HP Reverb, Rift S, Thrustmaster Warthog, Crosswind, SFX-100 motion rig :thumbup:

Yeah, for me its a mix of dcs crashing, vr crashing or actual BSODs.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

1.14.6? Why am I on 1.13.10?

Mine tells me it needs to be reset because it can't find my headset, and it also tells my my base stations are not recognized ever since I put them on standby mode to save power... but I can ignore all those warnings and they just work as soon as I put on the headset. Never actually crashed.

I tried to play DCS with Stream turned off (Oculus Rift CV1 and PC not fully upgraded for VR) and it works just fine.

Win 11Pro. Corsair RM1000X PSU. ASUS TUF Gaming X570-PLUS [WI-FI], AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 3D, Sapphire Radeon RX 7900 XTX Nitro+ Vapor-X 24GB GDDR6. 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ RGB Series (4 x 8GB) RAM Cl14 DDR4 3600. Thrustmaster HOTAS WARTHOG Thrustmaster. TWCS Throttle. PICO 4 256GB.

WARNING: Message from AMD: Windows Automatic Update may have replaced their driver by one of their own. Check your drivers.

M-2000C. Mirage F1. F/A-18C Hornet. F-15C. F-5E Tiger II. MiG-29 "Fulcrum".  Avatar: Escadron de Chasse 3/3 Ardennes. Fly like a Maineyak.

I tried to play DCS with Stream turned off (Oculus Rift CV1 and PC not fully upgraded for VR) and it works just fine.

That's because you use Oculus software and don't need SteamVR. My HMD (Reverb) does require SteamVR to run DCS

System specs:

man.. I can't make it through Raven Mission 2 without crashing. Getting weird artifacting and judders throughout, even with smooth 45 fps through entire mission. Keeps crashing after heading back to ship.. Have shot the case 3 like 3 times and crashes either after checking in with Marshall or landing on deck, crashes before I can exit and save... Very aggravating.

Happens to me too with the newest DCS Update.

Tested with the SteamVR Stable and Beta on the Valve Index.

On Syria SteamVR randomly crashes and once yesterday on Caucasus it happened while closing the mission and returning to the main menu.

While on Syria I had the Taks-Manager running in the background and checked the RAM usage after the crash and in the on case I looked at it the RAM usage was 32GB of 32GB before crashing.

Maybe some kind of Memory Leak???? Or just bad luck with this Version of the Syria Map (Beta).

Every other VR Game runs fine.

CPU: Intel i7 5930k@4.4GHz

RAM: 32GB DRR4@2400MHz (in Quad Channel mode)

MoBo: Asus X99 Deluxe

GPU: Asus Strix RTX 2080Ti@2GHz

Nvidia Driver Version: 452.06

DCS has its own SSD. A Samsung 860 EVO 1TB. The SSD is cached with an 250GB M.2 SSD Cache.

Edited by Thorgs

Getting weird artifacting and judders throughout, even with smooth 45 fps through entire mission.

Now that you mention it, I also see quite a lot of artifacts lately

System specs:

I reinstalled Steam VR (non beta) and WMR for steam (Beta) and made it through Raven One mission 2 finally without a system crash. Need to do more testing, but fingers crossed. I did still notice weird flashing artifacts - especially while on deck of supercarrier.

• 2 weeks later...

Yep, HP REVERB, ever since the last steam vr update. I get about 5 minutes into DCS and then crash. It also takes out my discord, which is weird.

Reinstalled Steam, SteamVR, and Windows mixed reality.

Reloaded windows, no fix.

Going back to all default settings and working my way up.