Snakeeye???

Jsood

Are you setting the fuze nose/tail? I think you need to do that with snakeyes.

Just used them a couple days ago in the Earnest Will campaign, and they worked pretty well dropped from about 500' and doing 550-600 kts.

IIRC correctly, my setup process was something like this:

Select weapon

Select stations

Set fuze noze/tail

Set release pairs

And that was it. Worked like a champ. With the pairs release, I just held the pickle down over the target (a runway in one case, and a battery of silkworms in another), and counted the thumps as each pair of bombs left the plane. Since I was carrying 14 bombs set to release in pairs, after I counted 7 thumps I released the pickle and hauled ass.

One important thing is to make sure you keep your speed up so as not to frag yourself- The threshold will vary with altitude, but the lower you are when you drop, the faster you need to be going.

Edited by jmarso

My goal is to release all 14 bombs with one pickle.

I have NOSE/TAIL fuse and I tryed different delay and diffrent spacing(forgott the right term).

You pickled 7 times in pairs if I got it right.

My goal is to release all 14 bombs with one pickle.

I have NOSE/TAIL fuse and I tryed different delay and diffrent spacing(forgott the right term).

You pickled 7 times in pairs if I got it right.

Correct. If you want them all to go at once, try this:

Select Weapon

Select Station (include all stations with snakeeyes on them)

Set fuze nose/tail

Set Ripple Quantity X (where X is the number you are carrying)

Set Ripple Distance Y (where Y is the interval between bomb hits that you want)

Try that and see how it works. You may still need to hold down the pickle until they all release.

I tried it that way one time, and I either set it up wrong or didn't mash the pickle hard enough or long enough, because I dropped only two bombs on that pass instead of fourteen. So the next time I set it the way I mentioned in the prior post and it worked well.

Earlier today I did the EWR attack in the Cage the Bear campaign (with 6x Mk82SEs), and it worked just fine at 200-300 ft. I didn't check my exact speed, but it should have been around 600 kts since I approached at full mil and lit the burners a few miles before reaching the target.

Spoiler

Ryzen 9 5900X | 64GB G.Skill TridentZ 3600 | Gigabyte RX6900XT | ASUS ROG Strix X570-E GAMING | Samsung 990Pro 2TB + 960Pro 1TB NMVe | HP Reverb G2
Pro Flight Trainer Puma | VIRPIL MT-50CM2+3 base / CM2 x2 grip with 200 mm S-curve extension + CM3 throttle + CP2/3 + FSSB R3L + VPC Rotor TCS Plus base with SharKa-50 grip mounted on Monstertech MFC-1 | TPR rudder pedals

OpenXR | PD 1.0 | 100% render resolution | DCS "HIGH" preset

It’s negative G. When you release, the drop in weight causes the aircraft to rise, you quickly (snd without paying attention) adjust by pitching down juuuust a little. But moving at 500 knots, a little pitch down causes you to quickly catch the bombs that are only accelerated by gravity

It doesn’t take much. I always Release with a slight pitch up

Had the issue too. A level release with a fuse timer or less than 100ms seems to not give the bombs enough space between each other, and they detonate. It definitly shouldnt be this way :(

Modules:

F-14, F-15C, F-16C, F/A-18C, M-2000C, A-10C, A-10C II, AV-8B N/A, MiG-29, Su-33, MiG-21 Bis, F-5E, P-51D, Ka-50, Mi-8, Sa 342, UH-1H, Combined Arms

Maps and others:

Persian Gulf, Syria, Normandy, WWII Assets, NS 430 + Mi-8 NS 430

This discussion begs the question for me:

Why do people set a ripple time in microseconds versus a ripple distance? The latter I can visualize; I never understood what the other did for me, so I never use it.

To set a ripple distance, the target computer would need to know the release altitude AGL and speed. Speed isn't an issue, as this is a known variable, but release altitude not so much. Sure, there is the radar altimeter, but in the Tomcat it's an isolated system, not tied into any other systems AFAIK. It would also not provide reliable information over hilly or mountainous ground.

But what really confuses me about the DCS Tomacat in this regard, is how pilots can tell jester to set a ripple distance. The RIO doesn't have the option to do that in the Tomcat! He can only set a ripple time!

So how does that work?!

• Thanks 1

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

Jester's got some superior brain power, and can make those calculations on the fly, obviously! :smartass:

Spoiler

Ryzen 9 5900X | 64GB G.Skill TridentZ 3600 | Gigabyte RX6900XT | ASUS ROG Strix X570-E GAMING | Samsung 990Pro 2TB + 960Pro 1TB NMVe | HP Reverb G2
Pro Flight Trainer Puma | VIRPIL MT-50CM2+3 base / CM2 x2 grip with 200 mm S-curve extension + CM3 throttle + CP2/3 + FSSB R3L + VPC Rotor TCS Plus base with SharKa-50 grip mounted on Monstertech MFC-1 | TPR rudder pedals

OpenXR | PD 1.0 | 100% render resolution | DCS "HIGH" preset

That's how it works in real life: the pilot says what he wants, and the NFO uses brain-power to make it happen! :smartass:

As previously stated, the distance between bombs in a stick is a factor of both intervalometer setting (the ms between drops) and the aircraft ground speed. If you know the delivery groundspeed, you can set the intervalometer to get the spacing you want.

There's actually a pretty easy way to figure this out: if you set your groundspeed to a multiple of 60, you can just divide your speed by 60 to figure out the number of nautical miles you travel per minute. This is why flight planning uses numbers like 300, 360, 420, 480, etc.

Take your miles per minute, and you just multiply that by 100 to convert the value to feet per second. For example, if you're doing 420kts (therefore 7 nm/min) that means you're traveling 700 ft/sec. (Derivation: 7 nm/min * 6000ft/nm / 60sec/min = 700 ft/sec)

Now the intervals themselves require some fudging because in this example, 700 is not an easy number to divide, and even then your intervalometer settings are to the nearest 10ms. You'll need to determine whether you would rather space longer or shorter and adjust accordingly. For example, if you want 150ft spacing, you can round up to 5 drops per second (200ms intervalometer) and your spacing will be 140ft (close enough for a 500lb bomb).

Now here's what I'm wondering with Jester: when you tell him the spacing you want, does he calculate the intervalometer based on current groundspeed, or is the intervalometer virtually tweaked to match GS at delivery time?

Edited by Home Fries

This is why flight planning uses numbers like 300, 360, 420, 480, etc.

Huh, I've noticed that, but never questioned why. Now it all makes sense!

Thanks a lot, I really learned something there! :thumbup:

Now here's what I'm wondering with Jester: when you tell him the spacing you want, does he calculate the intervalometer based on current groundspeed, or is the intervalometer virtually tweaked to match GS at delivery time?

That's exactly what I'm wondering as well!

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

• 3 months later...
On 8/9/2020 at 11:13 PM, jmarso said:

Correct. If you want them all to go at once, try this:

Select Weapon

Select Station (include all stations with snakeeyes on them)

Set fuze nose/tail

Set Ripple Quantity X (where X is the number you are carrying)

Set Ripple Distance Y (where Y is the interval between bomb hits that you want)

Try that and see how it works. You may still need to hold down the pickle until they all release.

I tried it that way one time, and I either set it up wrong or didn't mash the pickle hard enough or long enough, because I dropped only two bombs on that pass instead of fourteen. So the next time I set it the way I mentioned in the prior post and it worked well.

I have tried multiple settings as you described, same resutl BOOOOOM...... heatblur has changes something along the way.

I used to do this before without problems.

Has anyone seen a good turorial on the subject?

The F5 snakeeye data on the ED download site starts with a release interval of 100ms and goes up from there.  |That interval results in some pretty tight spacing at 500 kts and 400 feet agl.  Once I started releasing at 100ms interval or more I stopped blowing myself up.  And for what its worth, max release speed of the snakeeye (by the book not what ED models) is about 550 kts if I remember correctly.  The inflatable fin HD bombs can be released at a somewhat faster speed.