Random Engine failure in Su-27 with random failure dissabled

I checked my settings, I did have birds enabled to max for some reason though I've never seen a bird in my life in this game

They are not modeled in 3D, but the probability of them getting ingested into your engine is modeled and represented by that slider.

PC: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X | MSI Suprim GeForce 3090 TI | ASUS Prime X570-P | 128GB DDR4 3600 RAM | 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD | Win10 Pro 64bit

Gear: HP Reverb G2 | JetPad FSE | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk.III w/ MCG Ultimate

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

They are not modeled in 3D, but the probability of them getting ingested into your engine is modeled and represented by that slider.

Otoh there are 3D flying birds in DCS but they don't have collision model and won't strike your engine/aircraft.

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

Despite me not having the setting enabled while doing a touch and go my engine set aflame

I've seen it happen also, mostly below 1000m AGL. No bird strike, etc. in my settings.

I've also seen it happen when inverted, especially prolonged inverted, steady flight (-1G).

Edited by ACME_Widgets
added AGL to be clear

5600x, EVGA 3070 FTW, B550 Tomahawk, M.2 Samsung, 32GB CL16, AIO 240mm
VKB Gladiator Pro, Freetracker IR 3d printed, TM MkII HOTAS circa 1985 w/USB
Asus 27" 2560x1440 60fps (so constrain DCS to 60fps)    F-16, F-18
       2021 = First year on DCS:

I've seen it happen also, mostly below 1000m AGL. No bird strike, etc. in my settings.

I've also seen it happen when inverted, especially prolonged inverted, steady flight (-1G).

Engines in flames? Or engines die?

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU1...CR6IZ7crfdZxDg

_____

Win 10 Pro x64, ASUS Z97 Pro MoBo, Intel i7-4790K, EVGA GTX 970 4GB, HyperX Savage 32GB, Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD, 2x Seagate Hybrid Drive 2TB Raid 0.

Engines in flames? Or engines die?

Engines die.

Slight push forward on stick in level flight does sane thing. Spool down to. About 60% then start up on their own.

5600x, EVGA 3070 FTW, B550 Tomahawk, M.2 Samsung, 32GB CL16, AIO 240mm
VKB Gladiator Pro, Freetracker IR 3d printed, TM MkII HOTAS circa 1985 w/USB
Asus 27" 2560x1440 60fps (so constrain DCS to 60fps)    F-16, F-18
       2021 = First year on DCS:

Engines die.

Slight push forward on stick in level flight does sane thing. Spool down to. About 60% then start up on their own.

That's correct - answered in #7.

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

• 3 months later...
On 8/19/2020 at 1:24 PM, GGTharos said:

The inverted flight is because you're draining the feed tanks so the engine has no more fuel. You need +g to get them filled.

So wait a minute. This has been happening to me for a long time. I thought it was because when your plane loses energy pulling further back on the stick actually stalls it even more and I figured there's no AIR flow into the turbo fans so the engine literally runs out of oxygen to burn and turns off. I haven't looked at the track here but it is very annoying when you're in the middle of a dogfight and are going vertical and your plane all of the sudden turns the engines off. It takes about 30 seconds minimum and you're a sitting duck then. It can go from 200 Km/h to 90 km/h very quickly.

Can someone give a non-cryptic NON one liner detailed explanation of what's going on. A paragraph should suffice to avoid confusion. Also, does this happen to other plane models in a similar, non exact way? Thank You!

P.S. I've never seen the Su-57 Felon do that, but that's an unofficial model that can flight into space practically.

Edited by einarabelc5
wrong noun

There's nothing cryptic about it, the feed tanks need +g to be filled.  If you're at 0g or -g, the engines will drain them but there will be no flow into those tanks to the engines are starved of fuel.

How fast the feed tanks are drained depends on throttle setting - AB will obviously eat that fuel up very quickly.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

@einarabelc5Same behavior in F-14 or F-15 in prolonged inverted flight or negative G. Normal in jets. Special tank installation is applied for aerobatic jets like ex. Blue Angels use.

If it happens to you it means you put your stick forward too much, too often. Beside small corrections, nose down is a no-no for fighters. I thought the risk of inverted stall is punishing enough for the pilots of Su-27/33.

On 12/6/2020 at 7:18 AM, GGTharos said:

There's nothing cryptic about it, the feed tanks need +g to be filled.  If you're at 0g or -g, the engines will drain them but there will be no flow into those tanks to the engines are starved of fuel.

How fast the feed tanks are drained depends on throttle setting - AB will obviously eat that fuel up very quickly.

Is not cryptic when you know. I get the gist though, same idea that I had but with fuel not air. Thanks!

P.S. I just reread my original post, that had a few critical mistakes. I need to stop posting so late :S

Thanks again!

43 minutes ago, draconus said:

@einarabelc5Same behavior in F-14 or F-15 in prolonged inverted flight or negative G. Normal in jets. Special tank installation is applied for aerobatic jets like ex. Blue Angels use.

If it happens to you it means you put your stick forward too much, too often. Beside small corrections, nose down is a no-no for fighters. I thought the risk of inverted stall is punishing enough for the pilots of Su-27/33.

Well, I like to stall on purpose at 18,000 ft :D.

I do remember that this behavior was already in place on LOCK ON or Flanker 2.0

Edited by einarabelc5

• 1 month later...
On 12/6/2020 at 10:10 AM, einarabelc5 said:

Can someone give a non-cryptic NON one liner detailed explanation of what's going on. A paragraph should suffice to avoid confusion. Also, does this happen to other plane models in a similar, non exact way? Thank You!

Unlike many modern fighters the Su-27 does not have a pressurised fuel system. It relies on gravity feed, so to keep fuel flowing to the engines you must be >0g. The caveat to that is that the Flanker fuel system has a 500Kg cache tank. I can't remember off hand what the fuel flow rate is at various throttle settings but at high speed and low altitude the 500Kg of fuel in the cache tank will be drained literally in seconds, especially when afterburner is engaged.

If your engines flame out and you catch it fast enough and apply positive g before the RPM spools down too low the engines will usually restart themselves. If you're low & slow the only options are a rough field landing or to eject. 

System Spec: Cooler Master Cosmos C700P Black Edition case. | AMD 5950X CPU | MSI RTX-3090 GPU | 32GB HyperX Predator PC4000 RAM | | TM Warthog stick & throttle | TrackIR 5 | Samsung 980 Pro NVMe 4 SSD 1TB (boot) | Samsung 870 QVO SSD 4TB (games) | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit.

Personal wish list: DCS: Su-27SM & DCS: Avro Vulcan.