F-4 Everything?

upyr1

Not really. No sense spending all the money and dev effort reinventing the wheel if it's available to use right now.

If anything, as Jester uses ED's API anyway, it's a vested interest to use on an inhouse module to ensure if they make changes to said API, Jester still works.

That does not apply to ED.

We have SRS working perfectly but ED still develop their own voice chat system.

Not really. No sense spending all the money and dev effort reinventing the wheel if it's available to use right now.

If anything, as Jester uses ED's API anyway, it's a vested interest to use on an inhouse module to ensure if they make changes to said API, Jester still works.

For me there makes no sense for ED to "use jester". In any case, just make use of the concept of jester, this is, similar flow and layout. But whatever backend they do should be ED's alone.

Enviado desde mi ELE-L29 mediante Tapatalk

Edited by falcon_120

That would be odd if they would have to rely on tech that was developed by a third party for their own software. ED also has to provide a usable multicrew API for other third parties.

So I don't think it's an option for ED to use Jester.

I don't know the terms of the HB and ED contract but I would have figured there was something in there that would allow ED to use Jester and even work on the code. The way I see it if ED wants to develop their own AI WSO, then they have to hit a grand slam but if they used Jester they could bunt.

After Heatblur proving how successful they are implementing both Jester AI and Multicrew module - for me it's obvious they should make F-4.

If ED will decide they are going to make F-4 I'll still hold my fingers crossed but after Tomcat it would be really hard to enjoy Phantom without "Jester AI" and proper multicrew.

Edited by bies
  • Like 1

• 4 months later...
On 8/6/2020 at 4:53 AM, Mr. Big.Biggs said:

Did I miss something! My take was that sure, they would like an F-4 but it wasn’t anything currently on the front burner??

They pretty much left the F-4 on indefinite hold for them, But also left it free for OTHER third party developers if interested to develop the module.

Considering the fame of the F-4 series. I too would like to see it in DCS, primarily the F-4E that saw PLENTY of combat and as for Naval fun with all that carrier landings.

We could see the F-4J or F-4B. UK did use F-4J modded a bit for their use, and may have been used to some extent in the Falkland wars and we are going to have Falkland map.

However, ED did state no developers had planned for Vietnam map, at least to their current knowledge. Even still, 2 F-4 variants would sure be fun. On the Naval side, The J version. We could use the J version for hypothetical Cold war fiction scenario or even Falklands...maybe.

If developed, Pretty sure it would sell like HOT cakes...with such great combat track record and that multi role ability during those times.:smilewink:

• Like 1

Just a reminder to ED/Belsimtek what they had already done:

ALbnEyB.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

On 8/5/2020 at 4:11 PM, upyr1 said:

It looks like ED needs to add some new carriers then. We either need a naval assets pack or a naval mod, DCS: Fleet Ops I'd rather have the second. The F-8 needs a refitted essex

I think there is definitly room for multiple Phantoms.

VF-151-Vigilantes.jpg

This is the variant I want, all things Vietnam !!

1 hour ago, jetmechanic said:

Well with the latest email newsletter I guess we will have to wait for another year for the F-4 Phantom. What a shame I was waiting for this since belsimtek posted pics years ago. Gone but not forgotten

Yea, I was hoping for some good news on this as well...At least a hint....Of all the potential aircraft they could do next the Phantom is the only one I am interested in seeing...

• Like 1

ED stated that they are not going to make a phantom. But a 3rd party developer will likely do it. In that newsletter there is no room for 3rd party projects like f-15, kiowa etc.

FC3 | UH-1 | Mi-8 | A-10C II | F/A-18 | Ka-50 III | F-14 | F-16 | AH-64 Mi-24 | F-5 | F-15E| F-4| Tornado

Persian Gulf | Nevada | Syria | NS-430 | Supercarrier // Wishlist: CH-53 | UH-60

Youtube

MS FFB2 - TM Warthog - CH Pro Pedals - Trackir 5

18 hours ago, ebabil said:

ED stated that they are not going to make a phantom. But a 3rd party developer will likely do it. In that newsletter there is no room for 3rd party projects like f-15, kiowa etc.

Where have they stated that?

ED's global business development director stated something that sounded a little different just a few months ago:

Edited by QuiGon

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

Tornado3 small.jpg

There was a big interview, might've been a month or two ago, but I don't remember, but more recent than this one. They dropped a few bombshells like that. 

IMO, each such interview should include a text summary as a matter of policy. It would've been much easier to look things up than with hours' worth of jabbering (of which the relevant point was given a sentence or two).

2 hours ago, Dragon1-1 said:

There was a big interview, might've been a month or two ago, but I don't remember, but more recent than this one. They dropped a few bombshells like that. 

IMO, each such interview should include a text summary as a matter of policy. It would've been much easier to look things up than with hours' worth of jabbering (of which the relevant point was given a sentence or two).

Do you mean the Interview with Kate (the CEO of ED)?

Well, it was in Russian and a lot of it got lost in translation, so I would be careful with it. But even then it supposedly says that an F-4 will be developed eventually, but it's not clear yet by whom. Again, it's not clear if this is the exactl translation of what she actually said.

On 12/18/2020 at 8:52 PM, Minsky said:

From Kate Perederko (dotrugirl) on Discord:

[...]

17. F-4 will be developed, eventually, but probably by a 3rd party dev. No particular model has been picked yet.

Edited by QuiGon

Tornado3 small.jpg

Yeah, "by 3rd party dev" seems to pretty much admit they won't be the ones doing it, doesn't it? The rest of it feels like just avoiding saying "it's canned, sorry about that". Also, "no particular model has been picked yet" implies the Desert Storm era cockpit that was shown isn't gonna be used.

15 hours ago, Dragon1-1 said:

Yeah, "by 3rd party dev" seems to pretty much admit they won't be the ones doing it, doesn't it? The rest of it feels like just avoiding saying "it's canned, sorry about that". Also, "no particular model has been picked yet" implies the Desert Storm era cockpit that was shown isn't gonna be used.

Yes, it sounds like that, but again: There were a lot of other misunderstandings in this interview, because the actual wording/meaning got lost in translation of the interview, so I would be careful with that.

Tornado3 small.jpg

What "essential" F-4 functions can only be performed in the back seat?  Supposedly, in the F-15E and in merc-flown Mi-24s, the pilot can do it all.  Certainly in all of the early marks of the F-4, the RIO / WSO was necessary to run the radar and weapon systems.  As more upgrades were rolled out, did that ever change?  IIRC, I think Belsimtek was thinking a block 55, plus or minus.

What about other nations' upgrades?  ICE, Kurnass, Kai, Peace Icarus, et al.  Many of them included more modern radars and partial glass cockpits.

12 hours ago, Tengu said:

What "essential" F-4 functions can only be performed in the back seat?  Supposedly, in the F-15E and in merc-flown Mi-24s, the pilot can do it all.  Certainly in all of the early marks of the F-4, the RIO / WSO was necessary to run the radar and weapon systems.  As more upgrades were rolled out, did that ever change?  IIRC, I think Belsimtek was thinking a block 55, plus or minus.

What about other nations' upgrades?  ICE, Kurnass, Kai, Peace Icarus, et al.  Many of them included more modern radars and partial glass cockpits.

Mostly the radar and nav system, just like the Tomcat.

• Like 1

Tornado3 small.jpg

The only jets that will be day 1 buy for me are Mirage III and F4 Phantom (E please!).

Other 60s 70s fighters are place holders for the above two.

“Mosquitoes fly, but flies don’t Mosquito” :pilotfly:

- Geoffrey de Havilland.

... well, he could have said it!

Imo DCS should try to expand its cold war market. Due to more accurate info that can be access for this and due to more challenging gameplay. I don't get the same kick in dropping a JDAM from 15,000 ft in a F-18 as compared to low level unguided bombing with the F-5. TLDR, ED Should keep up the Warbird / cold war jets and make mid cold jets a focus.

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Bravelink03 said:

Imo DCS should try to expand its cold war market. Due to more accurate info that can be access for this and due to more challenging gameplay. I don't get the same kick in dropping a JDAM from 15,000 ft in a F-18 as compared to low level unguided bombing with the F-5. TLDR, ED Should keep up the Warbird / cold war jets and make mid cold jets a focus.

Absolutely; I think the mid-to-late Cold War (early 70s - early 90s) is an absolute sweet spot with plenty of opportunities. Not only that; BLUFOR and REDFOR can be kept peer-to-peer and contemporary with each other.

• Like 6

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.