Fire at Point: Ballistic missiles broken, ship-launched cruise ignore radius

Title. I'm on the current open beta, no mods.

Ballistic Missiles

SCUD truck no do SCUD. You can put 'em in firing position by setting status red, but no combination of Fire at Point parameters will make them deploy from green, nor will they actually shoot anything when given a Fire at Point command after deployment.

They might do something after an hour+, but ain't nobody got time for that.

Ship-Launched Cruise Missiles

These fire and go boom as you'd expect, but ignore the task's zone radius, preferring to make sure its centroid is VERY dead. It's possible this is intentional, albeit far from obvious--saturation bombardment with cruise missiles is terribly wasteful--but I'd love this option for a cinematic because it'd make it a lot easier to blap bases without painstakingly placing a million FAP tasks for one Tomahawk each.

Here's a missile's-eye view of the problem. The scattered scorch marks are from the ship's gun employed in the same FAP task to validate that its radius was properly set, but fear not, the same thing happens if you set the task to force cruise missiles instead of auto weapon selection:

${1}

There is a mismatch of the shown scud range vs what it will actually shoot at. Try lowering the distance to 320km max. Also the SCUD is heavily dependent on being located on flat terrain. Anything more than 3 degree offset from flat will cause the missile to go in odd directions. Can't remember if the SCUD will refuse to fire in that instance now or not.

Cruise missiles only aim at the center point of a given target.

The right man in the wrong place makes all the difference in the world.

Current Projects:  Grayflag ServerScripting Wiki

Useful Links: Mission Scripting Tools MIST-(GitHub) MIST-(Thread)

SLMOD, Wiki wishlist, Mission Editing Wiki!, Mission Building Forum

There is a mismatch of the shown scud range vs what it will actually shoot at. Try lowering the distance to 320km max. Also the SCUD is heavily dependent on being located on flat terrain.

I made sure it was on flat terrain, but wasn't aware of the range bug, which may well have been the problem. I'll check this evening.

Gotcha; in that case, the bug (really more of a UX issue) would be that the Fire at Point UI doesn't indicate when it's been configured into an invalid state.

Which is a pity as it makes it very difficult to destroy a group of targets with a single "fire at point" task, even if you launch 20 missiles :cry:

A warrior's mission is to foster the success of others.

i9-12900K | MSI RTX 3080Ti Suprim X | 128 GB Ram 3200 MHz DDR-4 | MSI MPG Edge Z690 | Samung EVO 980 Pro SSD | Virpil Stick, Throttle and Collective | MFG Crosswind | HP Reverb G2

RAT - On the Range - Rescue Helo - Recovery Tanker - Warehouse - Airboss

• 4 months later...