DCS F/A-18 flight model : realistic?

Talon Karde

The DCS Hornet does not fly like the actual aircraft. It is not stable in flight. It's as if the fly-by-wire system does not work as intended to retain stability while retaining maneuverability in an aerodynamically unstable aircraft and the aircraft has no mass or inertia. Changing the joystick curve does not affect stability. Try the VRS F/A-18E for something that's lots closer to reality.

This the one for FSX / P3D?

| VR goggles | Autopilot panel | Headtracker | TM HOTAS | G920 HOTAS | MS FFB 2 | Throttle Quadrants | 8600K | GTX 1080 | 64GB RAM| Win 10 x64 | Voicerecognition | 50" UHD TV monitor | 40" 1080p TV monitor | 2x 24" 1080p side monitors | 24" 1080p touchscreen |

There have been couple of studies regarding the turning performance of F-16 vs F/A-18 in dogfights. At the moment Hornet seems to be equal or slightly better performer in what's considered to be F-16 bread and butter: rate flight. So it's either F-16 FM that is not accurate or F/A-18.

Considering the fact that there's vastly more information is available regarding F-16 in the public sources, it might be that Hornets' FM is indeed off.

AMD R7 5800X3D | Aorus B550 Pro | 32GB DDR4-3600 | RTX 4080 | VKB MGC Pro Gunfighter Mk III + Thustmaster TWCS + VKB T-Rudder Mk4 | HP Reverb G2

FC3 | A-10C II | Ка-50 | P-51 | UH-1 | Ми-8 | F-86F | МиГ-21 | FW-190 | МиГ-15 | Л-39 | Bf 109 | M-2000C | F-5 | Spitfire | AJS-37 | AV-8B | F/A-18C | Як-52 | F-14 | F-16 | Ми-24 | AH-64

NTTR | Normandy | Gulf | Syria | Supercarrier |

There have been couple of studies regarding the turning performance of F-16 vs F/A-18 in dogfights. At the moment Hornet seems to be equal or slightly better performer in what's considered to be F-16 bread and butter: rate flight. So it's either F-16 FM that is not accurate or F/A-18.

Considering the fact that there's vastly more information is available regarding F-16 in the public sources, it might be that Hornets' FM is indeed off.

How do the efficacies and efficiency of the radars compare, since you're a beta tester, for

jet dogfighting in real life theatres, but for the dick pissing contests at Nellis simulating World War I triple decker airplanes made with cloth, will not occur any longer since about half way Vietnam, or was that Korea, and I'd like to be able to have my DCS F18C radar lock a merging bandit because my amraams failed me again, with sidewinders, for that is how close we will ever get to any enemy jet if at all, realistically, isn't it.

| VR goggles | Autopilot panel | Headtracker | TM HOTAS | G920 HOTAS | MS FFB 2 | Throttle Quadrants | 8600K | GTX 1080 | 64GB RAM| Win 10 x64 | Voicerecognition | 50" UHD TV monitor | 40" 1080p TV monitor | 2x 24" 1080p side monitors | 24" 1080p touchscreen |

There are also NATOPS recommending NOT to aerobrake the Legacy Hornet as in, NOT recommended. But we see, LAND based air forces for those nations that use them for their Air force and not the Navy. We see them aerobraking, I do believe I've posted a vid here in this thread showing Finnish pilots Legacy Hornets doing just that.

though USMC and not USN:

Edited by [Rob]

;4449380']though USMC and not USN:

His nose was down pretty quick. It wasn't a typical carrier landing, but he didn't hold it off for long, just let it come down naturally. Aerobraking is keeping the nose up with the stab as long as you can.

His nose was down pretty quick. It wasn't a typical carrier landing, but he didn't hold it off for long, just let it come down naturally. Aerobraking is keeping the nose up with the stab as long as you can.

He tried, but the flight model was wrong

Without arguing, fly the dcs hornet yourself.

As you can see from many real life videos,

The full flap characteristics of the dcs f-18 Hornet are not absolutely realistic flight models.

Without much debate, you'll see if you try base landing directly from dcs hornet with full flaps.

I also tried several times, and I could never lift the nose with a full flap. In my personal opinion, it seems that too much lift occurs at full flap.

Because, before lifting the nose, there is so much lift that the plane is already floating.

Edited by Hyundae