PKT machine gun in the crew compartment

Lucas_From_Hell

On 12/4/2023 at 9:26 PM, ACS_Dev said:

Bump, our Kord is 10 years newer than the Afghan war and thus anachronistic for the conflict. Having a PKT would be a very welcome option, also in the case of the MI-8.

It'd be great if they offered an Mi-24V module with the release of the Afghanistan map (or at least offered an earlier Mi-24P). I think there is enough to motivate a paid upgrade given the pair of PKT gunners, the MDB-4 FAB-100 combination, UPK-23-250 (export variants), and more S-5 rocket warhead variations... it could be quite attractive. But I've probably said that before 🙂

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Avimimus said:

It'd be great if they offered an Mi-24V module with the release of the Afghanistan map (or at least offered an earlier Mi-24P). I think there is enough to motivate a paid upgrade given the pair of PKT gunners, the MDB-4 FAB-100 combination, UPK-23-250 (export variants), and more S-5 rocket warhead variations... it could be quite attractive. But I've probably said that before 🙂

They could also add SPO-15…….Give me thermobaric S-8. Single ATGM loaded racks. 

Maybe a few years after official release…… 

• Like 1

Black Shark Den Squadron Member: We are open to new recruits, click here to check us out or apply to join! https://blacksharkden.com

E3FFFC01-584A-411C-8AFB-B02A23157EB6.jpeg

3 hours ago, Avimimus said:

What would be gained from having the MI-24V? The gun jumps out to me as the main feature but its reputation seems to have been lacking in practice;

image.png

image.png

Source: "Mil Mi-24 Hind Attack Helicopter" by Yefim Gordon, Dmitriy Komissarov, page 58.

My opinion is that they should stick with the MI-24P and give us the bomb racks, PKT and S-5 variants as part of the core helicopter. The PKT is the most important feature to me besides the single-mounted ATGM option.

Regarding paid upgrades the MI-8 is the way to go. It badly needs it. Unfortunately there are few things they could give us on the MI-8 that would justify a paid upgrade other than fuel tanks, a new model, or features that make it anachronistic for Afghanistan so I don't see them putting in the effort, especially with how low its relative market share surely is.

15 hours ago, ACS_Dev said:

What would be gained from having the MI-24V? The gun jumps out to me as the main feature but its reputation seems to have been lacking in practice;

Yes, I know, but, well, two things:

1) A gun which is prone to failures is dramatic (and fun in a sim, if not in real life)

2) When flying as the gunner and looking through the site... I've often had a truck lined up in the scope... and being able to squeeze a trigger... well, I think it would be very useful for taking out two or three soft-skinned vehicles in a single pass. Even if the gun jammed shortly after, it provides a close range flexible firepower that could be very useful.

The number of times I've wished I had a Yak-b with just 100 or 200 rounds of ammunition is considerable... so I think it has value.

• 4 weeks later...

image.png
https://discord.com/channels/542985647502393346/543014378643914752/1196060649525092462
from the main ED discord, directly responding to a discussion chain on this topic.

This is all very unfortunate. In addition to Georgia, ED is releasing Iraq and Afghanistan in the coming years, two hallmark maps for Mi-24 conflicts.

At the same time, the Kord pushes our Hind to ~1998 if we are being generous and the gunner's EMR pattern pushes it 10 years further (also being generous) to 2008. A cursory search of pictures of the Georgian war shows few, if any instances of soldiers wearing the pattern. I am curious as to why they chose the Kord instead of working with the PKT or NSV.

• Like 1

Yep, certainly is.

Unfortunately, and as much as I'd like it to change change, historical coherency is not something DCS does well at all. It seems very little (or indeed any at all) consideration is given towards it. 

On 1/18/2024 at 4:47 PM, ACS_Dev said:

I am curious as to why they chose the Kord instead of working with the PKT or NSV.

My guess is that it was chosen simply because it's more modern if there was any reason at all.

There's a few other examples like this, though as they're not relevant to the Hind this probably isn't the best place for them.

Edited by Northstar98
Clarity

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

On 1/18/2024 at 4:47 PM, ACS_Dev said:

I am curious as to why they chose the Kord instead of working with the PKT or NSV.

I suspect it was the SMEs: They talked to actual Mi-24 crews who said that the P variant with the Kord was much preferrable from the operator's perspective.

It definitely leaves open the option for them to sell an earlier period Mi-24 later.

40 minutes ago, Avimimus said:

I suspect it was the SMEs: They talked to actual Mi-24 crews who said that the P variant with the Kord was much preferrable from the operator's perspective.

It definitely leaves open the option for them to sell an earlier period Mi-24 later.

Do you have a source for this?

5 hours ago, ACS_Dev said:

Do you have a source for this?

Well, the 'I suspect' should make anyone reading what I wrote suspicious of it.

I know that the developers stated at one point that the SMEs had recommended the Mi-24P. It might have been on the Russian part of the forum - that statement is definitely somewhere on these forums if you look for it. The fact about the Kord is supposition though. They did say that it was chosen because it was more effective, but I don't know if the SMEs recommended it.