ADMIRAL189'S CORNER - INCOMING SHIP MODELS

Go to solution Solved by ivan-ivanov-1902,

On 6/14/2021 at 10:55 PM, Admiral189 said:

So the culprit was the collision model script input so i added a new LCU.Lua script.  So below is the updated collision model.edm and new lua script. Please replace existing collision model and lua. 

Hi Admiral,

No way to open the door of the  LCU 1627 ?

Hey Gunter I think Ed is removing the photos. Not sure why because it’s only a link to them.

Marroux, sorry I didn’t mention this to you all about the Fwd ramp. So you have to enter the LCU the same way you would enter vehicles. Once inside, rotate the mouse either left or right 180 degs aft and it will lower the ramp. The aft ramp isn’t animated.  Also the left mouse works a gun. It shoots from the fwd cam. 

The script used for the ramp is the same script used for weapons! 

This same process works on the Oak Hill as well. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Admiral189 said:

Hey Gunter I think Ed is removing the photos. Not sure why because it’s only a link to them.

Marroux, sorry I didn’t mention this to you all about the Fwd ramp. So you have to enter the LCU the same way you would enter vehicles. Once inside, rotate the mouse either left or right 180 degs aft and it will lower the ramp. The aft ramp isn’t animated.  Also the left mouse works a gun. It shoots from the fwd cam. 

The script used for the ramp is the same script used for weapons! 

This same process works on the Oak Hill as well. 

Explain?

Hey Tank are you asking how to enter the LCU? In mission editor up in the top left corner there’s an icon you click on to enter the LCU. Forgot which one.  Click on the LCU first! Once you enter it you can use F7 for external view and F1 to renter it. Also if you want to disconnect from it click key C. 

Edited by Admiral189

Admiral,

I have been playing with the San Antonio and can get a fairly consistent 60 fps using the USS San Antonio LPD-17.edm model dated 10-03-2020 combined with the USS San Antonio LPD-17_Collision.edm model dated 11-22-2020 (two different releases).  This combination gives me the highest FPS for this ship.  Other model combinations can give poor fps performance and make looking around the San Antonio a slide show as stated in previous posts last year when first released.  Perhaps DCS 2.7 helped improve performance as well.

The collision model needs a slight adjustment to its (0,0,0) position to achieve alignment with the base model.  The attached pictures show the collision model relationship to the base model.  It needs to be lowered, moved to the right, and moved back.  These changes would allow static objects to be added to the flight deck and increase overall looks when placed in service and running around.

Just a thought to improve this excellent model.  I know your "shipyard" is busy and we are all look forward to new releases.

RustyGunner

View 1.JPG

Break.jpg

View 2.JPG

Break.jpg

View 3.JPG

Break.jpg

View 4.JPG

Hey Rusty! Your right! Shipyard with one worker. Welding, painting, script, animating... Do it all! 😆

That's actually not a collision model. The collision model is a separate file. What you see a double hull. We use a double hull to get the damage textures to appear. However, i never added the textures so i will just remove it. 

How did you get it to appear modelviewer? I don't use it often! 

Admiral, the collision model shown is the collision model provided with the base ship in, I believe, the last update posted.  I mixed and matched the various base models (there are several out there) and collision models provided to find the combination that yielded the highest fps performance.  The combination posted above provides good performance but the collision model and base model don't match as they were not packaged (created) together.

I used Model Viewer to show both by; 1) Load Model (the base model is loaded) and then 2) Add Model (the collision model is loaded).  Both models will then show as pictured above.  The base model shown in the pictures has its regular textures applied.

The collision model by its self looks like a collision model to me and it is only 360 KB in size.  The solid colors coverings four sections looks similar to other collision models you provide.  Removing this collision model results in the ship taking no damage and static objects will only link to the bottom of the ship.

This model combination works well and eliminates the very low fps performance when doing a 360 view around the ship.  The ship shoots and takes damage as it should.  Unfortunately, the collision model and base model don't align up as they were for created for different updates.

Is is possible to only adjust the overall position of this collision model to align the flight decks (height and center)?   I wouldn't worry about the front of the ship moving back.  Model Viewer shows the length of the collision model to be shorter than the base model.

RustyGunner

Ok that makes sense! I thought it was just the one model i uploaded with the double hull... One day i will show you all how to create the double hull and collision models.. It takes a minute to create them..

So 99% of the time i create the collision model from the original model because both are aligned correctly! So in this case i can import/merge that collision model into the base model so i can align them. I was try to find my last post where i updated the collision model.. I had to move it up for the static models to align properly. The other thing with collision models. We have to get rid of all the details of it and make it a very small file... 

I will create a short video for you all and show you how to i do it.. I will take a look at it now and make a video!!

r,Admiral

Admiral, thank you for the shipyard time.   I am not sure we are using the same base model.  I think there were four base models that were posted.  The base model I am using is dated 10-03-2020.  Its size is 130,929 KBs, has 33 objects, and 2,454,312 triangles. Also of note, this model does not have any luna lights showing up during the day.  Some of the other models had that problem.

The collision model adjustment you made looks to be for a different date model.  It is centered dead-on but needs to be moved back and up for the model I am using to achieve  the fps performance increase.  See pictures below.

The collision model can be moved back quite a bit for the flight deck area.  Again, don't worry about the front of the ship.  As for the collision model height, it needs to come up quite a bit too or tires are going to disappear into the deck.

RustyGunner

New View 2.JPG

Break.jpg

New View 3.JPG

That could be true! I'm using the last one i had marked Last version so i know it's the last one i created. I increased the size to make sure it fits with the original model. 

So this is the collision model as shown in Max. Up in the top left corner you can see that they are collision shells and using argument numbers which are also updated in the .lua. So when i finish the original model. I save the same max file as a collision model and strip it down to bare bones. The smaller the .edm file the more FPS you will get. I'm using a 2060 so my FPS is somewhat high. I will test my FPS on 2.7 to see what i get.. 

Below is the file i'm currently using in version 2.7! 

https://www.dropbox.com/s/c8fywi21sllf5ei/USS San Antonio LPD-17.zip?dl=0

{ area_name = "COMMAND",     area_arg = 79,    area_life = 110, area_fire = { pos = {76.0, 13.0, 0.0}, size = 0.8}},
    { area_name = "FLIGHTDECK",     area_arg = 80,    area_life = 110, area_fire = { pos = {0.0, 3.0, 8.0}, size = 0.8}},
    { area_name = "SHIPSHULL",         area_arg = 81,    area_life = 110, area_fire = { pos = {0.0, 3.0, 8.0}, size = 0.8}},

San-Collision-Model.jpg

Ozone1 i think the modeler disappeared from DCS so not sure what happened to the Meko and the Roussen. I am working on a Roussen though! It's almost done! WIP

There are pretty good models out there but too steep of a price for me. Over $150 for a digital model that does nothing.. 

https://hum3d.com/3d-models/meko-200tn-frigate/

https://www.turbosquid.com/3d-models/max-meko-200/739160

• Like 1

Admiral, the model I have a strong preference for is the model with the two helicopters in the bay (gives interest when the door is open).  I also like the ship's numbers (great feature) and the uniform colored bridge windows.  The latest model has less attractive ship numbers (gives a dark rectangle shadow at various angles) and strange colored bridge windows.  We end users can be a fussy breed.  I know you can't please all and I guess I will need to move on.

The collision model for the ship I am using is 2.2 MBs in size and completely tanks my fps for some reason when its used.  Model Viewer shows that collision model has tremendous detail right down to  handrails and light fixtures (could be the cause of poor performance).  So, I tried other collision models.  Your final San Antonio release had a collision model that worked great for fps but off center and at the incorrect flight deck height for static objects as my previous post showed.

The latest collision model provided this week still requires adjustment to be usable on the older model (and latest for that matter) as it shows weird behavior (see pictures).   Objects will link to the ship at attitudes of 1500 feet at several different locations on the flight deck.  Picture 1 shows my static object layout for the flight deck.  Picture 2 shows the old misaligned collision model with static objects on the deck.  All objects are all present just a little higher than the flight deck with the far right row swimming as the collision model is missing in this area.  This is why a revised collision model was requested. Picture 3 shows the revised collision model.  Many objects are much lower and now missing at different locations.  Picture 4 shows the missing objects are way above the ship.  Another mystery.

I can't image all the work and problems you have to dealt with in creating these wonderful ships.  Please keep your shipyard active as we love your work.  Suggest you remove the links on page one to show only your final release of the San Antonio.

RustyGunner

Pic 1.JPG

Break.jpg

Pic 2.jpeg

Break.jpg

Pic 3.jpeg

Break.jpg

Pic 4.jpeg

4 hours ago, Admiral189 said:

Happy Fathers Day to the fathers out there! Everyday is Father's Day.. No vacations, No holidays.. Full Time Job! Just like modeling 😆

I'm on the range today testing weapons.

Screen-210620-131955.png

Man the shipping on the Mississippi River is getting tougher every year

I couldn't do the Mississippi River and i'm from MS..  I had enough stress navigating ships up the Key West Channel..

I will see if i can find a video i made navigating outbound one-day.. from 2008 - 2010.

Edited by Admiral189

14 hours ago, Admiral189 said:

I couldn't do the Mississippi River and i'm from MS..  I had enough stress navigating ships up the Key West Channel..

I will see if i can find a video i made navigating outbound one-day.. from 2008 - 2010.

I hear ya, I used to watch all the ships head up and down the river from the tower at NAS New Orleans, it was nuts.

USS America update:

Hey guys i haven't had a lot of time to work on the America but this weekend i will start working the textures. I have been trying to use 3D-Coat which is a great program to create textures but the model is a big file so it's not coming out like i want it too. Because the ship is so big i will have to work the textures in sections. The Island and Hull will need the most attention. All six of the radars are operational. After textures i will work the weapons which is easy. I'm still shooting for a 4th of July weekend Release but we'll see how it goes!

Screen-210624-182923.png

• Like 7

It's wonderful to come home after a long day and see the progress you're making in this beautiful ship Admiral, she's looking wonderful, can't wait to use it.

Will you be a able to model the various approach light systems?

Thanks Alvarolage!! I'm gonna attempt it. I may have to study the Aircraft Carriers code to see if i can get it to work... Not sure if Tarawa has the approach lights or not. 

America has conducted her first Flight Operations... I need to adjust the landing positions but that shouldn't be too hard.  WIP!!!

Screen-210625-193531.png

Screen-210625-193509.png

• Like 4