Status of A-10C after A-10C II comes?

Terzi

Which ones...which modern games (barring the CLoD example I quoted upthread...which is borderline as CLoD was abandonned by its developers and picked up by a modding group) have built in obsolescence...such that the product I bought...no longer works moving forward?

Hopefully I don't get 1.15 for this......

I should have been a little more clear with that statement. I didn't mean actual DLC, as that would be really unheard of given different releases. I was trying to say games move on to different iterations all the time, EA (Electronic Arts) and 2K Sports are prime examples of this. Each year you get a new upgraded title nothing really changes, nothing you previously purchased is transferable and usually after 3-4 years they game can't even be played online as they take the servers down. Now these are horrible examples to compare to DCS because they just don't work the same way, but it kinda relates what my line of thinking was. I'm going to bring up KSP (Kerbal) simply because they have kinda the same community mindset we do here. There are thousands of mods for KSP, but with each update certain ones become unusable until the creators updates them to work. DCS and KSP are pretty much just open sandboxes that we, as a community, fill 90% of the void.

It sucks, I hear what you're saying about the stuff you paid for, I'm right there with you. Ultimately though, I believe it will fall on the creators to fix/update, not ED. Since ED has not said that "content" will disappear or become unusable with the release of Mk.II, that leaves me to think we must put pressure on the creators to update their products to work with DCS, not the other way around.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

TBF its not so much the expense...its that DCS will be taking one of the very few finished documented complete modules, supported by a significant amount of playable content & replacing it with one that (being charitable) lacks any playable content - and who knows if it'll be released in a completed and fully documented state...

As I said earlier I have no issues if ED wants to "milk" a bit of low-hanging fruit for extra-revenue I'll jump on that band-wagon myself...even if its in an unfinished state I'm sure it'll be fun for a bit of training/switchology practice (In the same way as the F/A18 is) I'll be happy to purchase it...

What IS unacceptable is the (effective) removal of the earlier A10C and all associated content unless you either have multiple c200MB+ seperate DCS installs on your PC or unless you resign yourself to not being able to use any other DCS content (IE: just maintan a legacy DCS install out of sync with current releases)

In fairness I'll leave it here...really the onus is not on us to guess what will happen...but for an ED rep to answer a very straightforward question from users about the future status of a paid for module and associated DLC...(particularly in line with their statements that "it would never happen again" after the VAEO fiasco) could Nineline/Bignewy please comment on what will happen with the existing (legacy) A10C module & associated paid-for DLC in future DCS versions (IE:>DCS 2.5.6.52437) subsequent to the release of the new A10C II module.

Edited by jasonbirder
In summary...

Airbag_signatur.png

...really the onus is not on us to guess what will happen...but for an ED rep to answer a very straightforward question from users about the future status of a paid for module and associated DLC...(particularly in line with their statements that "it would never happen again" after the VAEO fiasco) could Nineline/Bignewy please comment on what will happen with the existing (legacy) A10C module & associated paid-for DLC in future DCS versions (IE:>[/i]DCS 2.5.6.52437) subsequent to the release of the new A10C II module.

+1

S!

Why are you demanding answers, it's still months away from release and they should take all the time to properly decide whether there is enough maintenance headroom to support both variations going forward, possibly even making a "new old version", a lesser suite comparable to the existing Warthog 1 based on the 3D cockpit geometry model of the new Warthog 2. Ofcourse if the theory I proposed holds water about actual A-10C pilots who retired before the newer A-10C suites came out and want to get the experience exactly right that they had back then in addition to the newer experience, and second, the ability for map makers to make more timeline accurate missions, and for players to get a surprise when a number of "elite" Warthog 2 highly-skilled AIs come around the corner unexpectedly ... but is this enough, I wish I had more reasons, I don't want to make some gimmicks up so that's all I have for now.

Theoretically you could have some option system that would limit the new Warthog 2 to a lower historical level, just disabling some newer suite components (similarly to scripted failures), but that's not that simple either setting that system up (for other planes too) and keeping it bug free, or perhaps it could be, I don't know.

Edited by Worrazen

Modules: A-10C I/II, F/A-18C, Mig-21Bis, M-2000C, AJS-37, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, P-47, FC3, SC, CA, WW2AP, CE2. Terrains: NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf, Syria

Why are you demanding answers, it's still months away from release and they should take all the time to properly decide whether there is enough maintenance headroom to support both variations going forward

Why are you demanding answers, it's still months away from release and they should take all the time to properly decide whether it is too much effort to sustain a product still currently being sold in the ED store (today 11/8/2020) for $60

Airbag_signatur.png

• 4 weeks later...
  • ED Team

Thread reopened

The Current A-10c will still be supported, all content remains.

A-10C II Is a separate product and an optional upgrade, you do not have to purchase it. You still have your original A-10C and the free cockpit upgrade which we recently did for this 10-year-old module.

Some of you only think the worst of us and I am disappointed, why would we bother giving a 10 year old module a free cockpit upgrade if we were not going to support it?

Please keep the feedback mature and civil save the conspiracies for reddit.

thanks

Edited by BIGNEWY

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

A-10C II Is a separate product and an optional upgrade, you do not have to purchase it. You still have your original A-10C and the free cockpit upgrade which we recently did for this 10-year-old module.

Thanks for making it a bit clearer!

One important question still remains. Will the new A-10C II include the current (old) version when purchased separately?

Dima | My DCS uploads

Thanks for making it a bit clearer!

One important question still remains. Will the new A-10C II include the current (old) version when purchased separately?

I doubt it and most guys who buy the A-10C ll won't want the A-10C if they don't already have it.

Buzz

Thread reopened

Some of you only think the worst of us and I am disappointed, why would we bother giving a 10 year old module a free cockpit upgrade if we were not going to support it?

thanks

The bolded bits are key here: 10 years.

Any other software package that isn't annual shovel-ware (Looking in your general direction, EA) would of been through at least three paid updates in that time frame. Just something to keep in perspective.

It will have Data Link with Bogeys?

System:

Asus TUF Z390-Pro Gaming/ Intel i5-9600k@ Coffeelake 9a Gen/ Water Cooler Corsair Hydro H45/ Corsair Vengeance Lpx 32Gb 3200Mhz/ EVGA GeForce RX 2070 Super 8Gb Gddr6 256Bits/ 1 SSd M2 3gen 1Tb Xpg/ Headset Corsair + SoundCloud BlasterX Pro Gaming AE-5 / Corsair HX1000i W Plus Platinum/ Case Corsair Gamer Series Obsidiam 500D/ LG 32" 4k Monitor Dp/ Track Ir5 w/Clip Pro/ Saitek Hino X56

It will have Data Link with Bogeys?

With Bogeys??????

If you have a data link to another aircraft, it cannot be a bogey, as defined. Bogey means that you DON'T know if it is a friendly or an enemy. As I understand it, you can only get a data link from a friendly.

The Hornet is best at killing things on the ground. Now, if we could just get a GAU-8 in the nose next to the AN/APG-65, a titanium tub around the pilot, and a couple of J-58 engines in the tail...

With Bogeys??????

If you have a data link to another aircraft, it cannot be a bogey, as defined. Bogey means that you DON'T know if it is a friendly or an enemy. As I understand it, you can only get a data link from a friendly.

What I think they’re asking is an AWACS sharing data and it showing up in the TAD. Red for bad, yellow for suspect, white for unknown and blue for neutral.

What I think they’re asking is an AWACS sharing data and it showing up in the TAD. Red for bad, yellow for suspect, white for unknown and blue for neutral.

Specifically, I would like to know if it can take Link-16 data from other sources via a SADL / Link16 interface in an AWACS or similar unit. This would include HAFU data.

• ED Team

Hi all,

Regarding the old A-10C,

Anyone who purchases the A-10C II will have the old A-10C included.

Users who upgrade, of course, already own the old A-10C, and that content will still be available.

We will have more details as we get closer to release.

Thank you

Edited by BIGNEWY

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

I do not understand how people assume anything else then this. If you think about it for more then 2 seconds this the only option that makes sense. Oh well, the world is full of weird people.

''Greed is a bottomless pit which exhausts the person in an endless effort to satisfy the need without ever reaching satisfaction.''

Erich Fromm

I do not understand how people assume anything else then this. If you think about it for more then 2 seconds this the only option that makes sense. Oh well, the world is full of weird people.

Because as I recall it wasn't always going to be like that. iirc the initial concept spun to us for BS3 and Hog2 was that you would lose the old version if you bought the upgrade.

476th Discord   |    476th Website    |    Swift Youtube
Ryzen 5800x, RTX 4070ti, 64GB, Quest 2

Wonder why nobody is addressing the obvious elephant...

Everyone is so obsessed with the software compatibility issue between these 2 versions of the sim, but there's another much bigger problem for many users (probably not the majority, but still, a big number)...

What about how this will affect cockpit builders and things like DCS BIOS, HawgTouch, Helios, etc?

This is a much bigger problem I think, because people have invested countless hours and dollars to make these things work, and every time there's a major change there is a risk that all that hard work and investment is wiped out or at least massively degraded.

This is the reason why ED should not make the upgrade compulsory and should not implement any changes that would make the old version of A-10C stop working in newer versions of DCS or multi-player games. That would not be fair (if the only way to play multi-player is through ED's systems and ED removes the ability for A-10C players to participate, thus "forcing" the upgrade as somebody mentioned happened with Black Shark).

I don't know if that Black Shark allegation was true, but if it was, then definitely not cool.

Edited by Osita

• ED Team

So that both of my comments are in one place, as mentioned no one is forcing anyone, it is an optional upgrade.

Thread reopened

thanks

Hi all,

Regarding the old A-10C,

Anyone who purchases the A-10C II will have the old A-10C included.

Users who upgrade, of course, already own the old A-10C, and that content will still be available.

We will have more details as we get closer to release.

Thank you

Thanks

I'm interested in the A-10C II Module, however I would like to retain the original module as it is a historical (even if not by much) variant, and personally, having both would be the best option for me, instead of one replace the other even if the other is still going to be supported.

So for instance, would I expect to see 2 A-10Cs in the unit list? One being the old module and the other being the A-10C II? Or will I have to go in the module manager and toggle the respective modules on and off depending on which one I want to use?

EDIT: The above comment by BIGNEWY stated that the old A-10C will be included, so presumably both will be present in the unit listing.

Edited by Northstar98

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

will the "old" a-10c benefit from the improvments and bug-fixes to the avionics? i don't mean the upgraded avionics (more capabilities) of the new version - it's obvious that those are exclusive.

last time i checked the "old" had still some minor issues in the advanced avionics, that surely get fixed for the "new" one. it would be good if both versions would be maintained to the same level with the only difference being the functional upgrades.

both will be in the unit list, yes.

Awesome! :thumbup:

That's what I wanted to know, thanks BN!

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.