Alignment issue

Father Cool

This has been happening on and off for a few months now but last night took the biscuit for me. Normal start up, Jester fine ins alignment on deck of carrier, normal take off and uneventful transition to CAP point approx 160nm away. On the way to the waypoint HUD started to tilt gradually getting worse. When I reached CAP I couldn't actually catch the waypoint as it was actually drifting away from me on the TID as I was trying to head towards it. The nav grid I set up showed the map essentially drifting underneath me, all waypoints and aircraft were shown on the grid except my aircraft was drifting backwards across the map and then off of the edge of the screen. As a result I could not perform any duties as the radar was useless.

By this time the HUD was nearing 30° skewed so I headed back to the carrier. By the time I had made it back to the carrier the HUD was over 45° skewed. The whole flight was calm, no heavy maneuvers, nothing that could have knocked out the INS alignment. I had waited for Jester to finish up, ready to taxi etc etc.

Screenshot of my HUD after getting back to the carrier.

Screen_200728_213638.thumb.png.72f91d72ac8e4a382ec92226765f73fa.png

The whole flight was calm, no heavy maneuvers, nothing that could have knocked out the INS alignment.

A catapult launch can occasionally knock out the INS... ;)

To be sure if the INS is damaged, you would have to switch to the backseat and check the INS status lights.

Edit: That's a feature not a bug btw :D

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

A feature that destroys the whole night's campaign is no feature in my mind. If that's the case there needs to be some way to correct it in flight or not model that issue as it's realism too far.

I have had this happen on airfield takeoffs however so I think it may be more than that.

And how exactly, does one just "jump in the backseat" in a multiplayer server? I know that was a thing in the real jet, but I can't imagine anybody finding that a useful feature to model without some way of a lone pilot using jester, in a multiplayer server being able to fix it.

Furthermore, after hundreds of carrier launches in this fine bird, this issue has only reared its head in the last couple of weeks.

Working as intended my arse.

A feature that destroys the whole night's campaign is no feature in my mind. If that's the case there needs to be some way to correct it in flight or not model that issue as it's realism too far.

I have had this happen on airfield takeoffs however so I think it may be more than that.

Hmm, I was under the impression, that this can happen regardless of the "Random System Error" setting, but after checking the forums again I might be wrong and this might only happen if Random System Errors are enabled.

But again: If you would share a trackfile it would allow us to actually see what happened. So far it's just wild guessing.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

ive had exactly the same thing a few (random) times. interestingly mine goes the other way lol. at the end of 1 mission it was approx 80 degrees off so almost vertical! and that was a land based mission with a max g for the whole flight of 7 and it was going BEFORE i got into any high g moves

7700k @5ghz, 32gb 3200mhz ram, 2080ti, nvme drives, valve index vr

Hmm, I was under the impression, that this can happen regardless of the "Random System Error" setting, but after checking the forums again I might be wrong and this might only happen if Random System Errors are enabled.

But again: If you would share a trackfile it would allow us to actually see what happened. So far it's just wild guessing.

Yes I never have random system failures on, I expect my plane to work as advertised during missions. There are enough issues with DCS without adding anything extra into the mix.

I have the track file of the mission however we had so many issues getting up last night that it was over an hour before I got airbourne and even then I have this issue and some horrible trim problem where the ac was trying to head for the moon constantly unless I trimmed down and pushed forward, no one wants to sit through that track file!

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Yes I never have random system failures on, I expect my plane to work as advertised during missions. There are enough issues with DCS without adding anything extra into the mix.

I have the track file of the mission however we had so many issues getting up last night that it was over an hour before I got airbourne and even then I have this issue and some horrible trim problem where the ac was trying to head for the moon constantly unless I trimmed down and pushed forward, no one wants to sit through that track file!

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

the trim thing is another intermittent problem we have, its annoying as hell too

7700k @5ghz, 32gb 3200mhz ram, 2080ti, nvme drives, valve index vr

A catapult launch can occasionally knock out the INS... ;)

To be sure if the INS is damaged, you would have to switch to the backseat and check the INS status lights.

Edit: That's a feature not a bug btw :D

Be nice if Jester would, you know, SAY SOMETHING.

• 3 weeks later...

INS can very quickly become way off - and the issue is MP, not always though over G either. I've had mine off before with no more than 4g on the meter check dial.

I agree this is a real issue and needs bumping up the to do list as it really inhibits the 14. There needs to be something in the Jester wheel to say IFA, or pilot sets a fix point on F10 map and tell jester when overflying it to update.

Please @Heatblur can you review

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DCS & BMS

F14B | AV-8B | F15E | F18C | F16C | F5 | F86 | A10C | JF17 | Viggen |Mirage 2000 | F1 |  L-39 | C101 | Mig15 | Mig21 | Mig29 | SU27 | SU33 | F15C | AH64 | MI8 | Mi24 | Huey | KA50 | Gazelle | P47 | P51 | BF109 | FW190A/D | Spitfire | Mossie | CA | Persian Gulf | Nevada | Normandy | Channel | Syria | South Atlantic | Sinai 

Liquid Cooled ROG 690 13700K @ 5.9Ghz | RTX3090 FTW Ultra | 64GB DDR4 3600 MHz | 2x2TB SSD m2 Samsung 980/990 | Pimax Crystal/Reverb G2 | MFG Crosswinds | Virpil T50/CM3 | Winwing & Cougar MFD's | Buddyfox UFC | Winwing TOP & CP | Jetseat