BBI-64 and Rotary POT limited range

Gonzo1606689281

Hardware: I have a BBI-64 board with a 10K rotary pot. This one here that was recommended for the IR cool panel http://pcflights.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=46_48&products_id=301

Issue: I am using the pot for my HMD dial. When I turn it up it moves maybe 1/16 of total travel. What could be causing the limited range? Windows sees the pot as buttons 3 and 4. They flash momentarily as I turn the dial on the pot up or down. In the BBI software, I have buttons 3 and 4 set to 1:1, and increasing the pulse width seems to help move the dial a little bit.

Thanks for the help and thanks to all who have helped me the last few days figuring out all my input issues.

Edited by ///Gonzo\\\

The BBI is only for button inputs, not axis.

For pots you'll need a BU0832 board, they support analog inputs :)

You know a lot more about this stuff than I do but in DCS there is one HMD bound to axis the other looks like HMD increase/decrease. Couldn't i bind the pot to that somehow?

Edited by ///Gonzo\\\

For "HMD increase/decrease" you need a Encoder that will press a button when turned clockwise and another button when turned counterclockwise.

For BBI-64 a potentiometer has no use, due lack of analog (voltage variation inputs), like Lobinjaevel say.

Get an cheap (~$5) Arduino PRO Micro clone (16MHZ, 5v) and flash with MMJoy2 firmware, so you can experiment with this potentiometer (up to 8 ).

Edited by Sokol1_br

Thanks Lobinjaevel, what im trying to wrap my head around how do you sim pit builders have any available usb ports? Do you guys use powered hubs so you dont hvae all the pc ports clogged up?

I'd imagine most use an RS485 bus. That only uses one USB connection for up to 126 external arduinos.

guys, i guess i have a follow-up question. Are there boards out there that will do like 20 or more pots? anything you can recommend?

No, because 8 axes per controller is a standard in Windows Games Controllers applet and in games.

I know that VKB electronic engineer test 32 axes in their NJoy3NG controller, but since games (not sure about X-Plane) actually don't support, just a concept proof.

So you need various controllers with 8 axes, being Arduino +MMJoy2, STM32+FreeJoy firmware's cheap alternatives, specially for the priced BU0836X, with the advantage that this firmware's support advanced sensors, in digital mode (BU0836 has only analog axis inputs), not something for run behind, but expand sensors options for axes.

Edited by Sokol1_br