DCS: F/A-18C THE SERPENT'S HEAD 2 CAMPAIGN

Mission 11 - Last. I killed Snake and returned to Stennis's vicinity. There are fireworks, music, feta, but damn, Stennis is still swimming in a curve and you can't land because the FB changes every second. Is it an oversight and a mistake of the author of the mission ??? Please note that on return, Case 3 procedure applies and Stennis should never turn after the aircraft has reported an Inbound for landing. Please explain or give me a hint.

Hi maverickmj

An update on this issue you raised. Have identified what the issue was and was probably as a result of a general ED update. The mission has been adjusted to resolve the issue and has been passed to ED to release in a future update.

F/A-18C Campaigns : The Serpent’s Head / The Serpent’s Head 2

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

I9 9900K @ 5.0Ghz / Gigabyte 2080ti water force extreme / 32 Gb RAM Corsair Dominator Platinum 3600 / 2Tb Samsung 970 Evoplus NVMe M.2 / Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas / Thrustmaster Pedals / Valve Index.

Trying to load up the 1st Campaign

Hey there Glyn, hope all is well

I just bought your SH 2 Campaign & looking forward to it but I really would like to complete the first one before I start. I download it from the User Files & finally located it after many wrong turns at Albuquerque but it seems I can only unpack it playing mission by mission. It doesn't go into the same folder as where the Campaign I purchased which is also the same place where BD Raven Campaign is as well. I guess what I'm trying to say is.. how/where do I add it so it can be easily accessible as the paid vers ones are when I start my DCS. Excuse my naivety but I've only had experience with single missions.

Regards Gaz

:: 13th Gen Intel Core i9-13900K :: Asus ROG Strix Z790-A mobo :: Asus Tuff Gaming GeForce RTX 3080 Ti :: NZXT Kraken Elite 280 RGB AIO white cooler :: G Skill Trident Z Royals DDR4 4x16GB = 64GB :: WD Black SN 850X NVMe SSD 2TB M.2 (C Drive) :: Samsung 860 Pro 2TB SATA (D Drive) :: Corsair Crystal 680X White Case :: Asus XG349C 34" Curve G-Sync 180Hz 3440x1440 Mon :: Corsair 850W PSU :: Virpil Constellation Alpha-R Stick with VPC WarBRD Base :: Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle :: 3 x CubeSim ext mini screens with TM Cougar MFD Bezels :: Asus ROG Pugio 503 Gaming Mouse & Razer BlackWidow mech kb :: TrackIR 5 Pro & Cap Clip :: Win 11 64 Bit 😉

Eureka! I Found It!

Finally found where & how to add those Campaigns! Phew whatta scene! lol

265083403_CampaignFileTransfer.thumb.png.4d9be17ce56d0fea60ce53c6dc48f645.png

810925373_CampaignAdded.thumb.png.d66dd6998efecf390817a2e89d684700.png

:: 13th Gen Intel Core i9-13900K :: Asus ROG Strix Z790-A mobo :: Asus Tuff Gaming GeForce RTX 3080 Ti :: NZXT Kraken Elite 280 RGB AIO white cooler :: G Skill Trident Z Royals DDR4 4x16GB = 64GB :: WD Black SN 850X NVMe SSD 2TB M.2 (C Drive) :: Samsung 860 Pro 2TB SATA (D Drive) :: Corsair Crystal 680X White Case :: Asus XG349C 34" Curve G-Sync 180Hz 3440x1440 Mon :: Corsair 850W PSU :: Virpil Constellation Alpha-R Stick with VPC WarBRD Base :: Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle :: 3 x CubeSim ext mini screens with TM Cougar MFD Bezels :: Asus ROG Pugio 503 Gaming Mouse & Razer BlackWidow mech kb :: TrackIR 5 Pro & Cap Clip :: Win 11 64 Bit 😉

Finally found where & how to add those Campaigns! Phew whatta scene! lol

Hi Sorry didn't get back earlier only just saw your note. User downloaded files I locate in the saved games folder under campaigns. Glad you got there in the end. SH1 was done a long time ago and so has emulated voices whilst you will note SH2 is fully voice acted.

Hope you enjoy

I9 9900K @ 5.0Ghz / Gigabyte 2080ti water force extreme / 32 Gb RAM Corsair Dominator Platinum 3600 / 2Tb Samsung 970 Evoplus NVMe M.2 / Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas / Thrustmaster Pedals / Valve Index.

I had a problem on the computer and had to format. I lost the progress of serpent’s head 2 campaign , I was in the last mission (10).

Do we know where the mission files are to load with the mission editor? or how the file logbook.lua has to be modified to advance in the campaign...

Thks

Edited by vra

can i use a supercarrier in this campaing? or cant change stennis?

Hi , sorry, you cannot edit published campaign files as they are protected. The SH2 was completed before the supercarrier. I have not added it as there are many sequence and voice actor files at the beginning of each mission that would be disrupted.

I am however working on the next follow up campaign, "Rise of the Persian Lion" that fully embraces the supercarrier. It has 15 missions :thumbup:

I had a problem on the computer and had to format. I lost the progress of serpent’s head 2 campaign , I was in the last mission (10).

Do we know where the mission files are to load with the mission editor? or how the file logbook.lua has to be modified to advance in the campaign...

Thks

Hi

you could play the single mission through the mission editor. On my rig it's at C:, Program Files , Eagle Dynamics ,DCS World OpenBeta , Mods , Campaigns , Serpents Head 2 , then select the mission you want to play.

Please provide the option to cold ramp start the Hornet. I see this trend towards every Hornet SP mission starting hot on the catapult. I don’t know why this would be done because there’s already an Auto Start key. I have only done the first mission here but was disappointed to see myself hot starting. It gives the campaign an Arcade first impression. This is the only DLC campaign I’ve seen that skips the startup unless it’s worked into the storyline.

Edited by SharpeXB

i9-13900K @ 6.2GHz oc | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

Please provide the option to cold ramp start the Hornet. I see this trend towards every Hornet SP mission starting hot on the catapult. I don’t know why this would be done because there’s already an Auto Start key. I have only done the first mission here but was disappointed to see myself hot starting. It gives the campaign an Arcade first impression. This is the only DLC campaign I’ve seen that skips the startup unless it’s worked into the storyline.

Hi

Missions 3 5 and 10 are indeed cold starts.

When assessing this other things to consider is mission length. Also especially when scripting for a wingman for some reason they will be ready and gone in no time and we have to put them in orbit whilst they wait for you to go through a full start up procedure . So even that feels a little strange always having your wingman waiting around rather than flying off with him initially.

That said I take your point . In the 15 mission campaign I am building now, "Rise of the Persian Lion" I will consider giving an option at the end of every successful mission to select the next mission as a hot start or a cold start . So hopefully keep everybody happy.

Thanks for your thoughts

Edited by Glyn

Hi

Also especially when scripting for a wingman for some reason they will be ready and gone in no time and we have to put them in orbit whilst they wait for you to go through a full start up procedure .

Makes sense, Yes I was wondering if this was some sort of AI or mission planner issue because I have not seen any SP missions, campaign or otherwise having a cold carrier start. Thanks for the reply

i9-13900K @ 6.2GHz oc | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

Raven One campaign uses a "spacebar" trigger controlled by the player to initiate the wingmen taxi process, this helps ensure you takeoff with your flight. For testing/training/quick missions I dont mind the hot start or air start but I also prefer to cold start in campaigns, unless it's otherwise built in to the story.

• 2 weeks later...

Can we get the option to auto-pass missions? Mission #1 is getting dull just doing an airshow and failing because I went outside the silly 3 mile limit. It's kinda dull.

Can we get the option to auto-pass missions? Mission #1 is getting dull just doing an airshow and failing because I went outside the silly 3 mile limit. It's kinda dull.

There should be no reason to go outside the 3 mile zone and keep north of the runway. Set way point 6 which is the centre of the runway you will have a constant read out of your distance from the runway at all times. Easy to keep within 3 miles and just keep north of runway. It’s a test of flying control.

If you want to bypass you could always play through mission editor and locate the mission files and play any one of the missions at any time.

Hope this helps

I’m all up for missions with realistic challenges, this just seems “gamey”

Some campaigns have an F10 menu option that gives you an auto success, selected at startup, if you get tired of repeating the same one and lets you move on.

I curious to know how you can fail the 3nm limit: that is an air show, pull back that frackin stick! :smilewink:

Also: why not trying go vertical instead of horizontal?

Edited by LordOrion

Black+Knights_Small.jpg

RDF 3rd Fighter Squadron - "Black Knights": "Ar Cavajere Nero nun je devi cacà er cazzo!"

My Blog (Italian): Notti a (Video)Giocare

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

CPU: i7-11700K@5GHz|GPU: RTX-4070 Super|RAM: 64GB DDR4@3200MHz|SSD: 2x 970EVO Plus + 980 EVO Plus|HOTAS Warthog|TrackIR 5|

I curious to know how you can fail the 3nm limit: that is an air show, pull back that frackin stick! :smilewink:

Also: why not trying go vertical instead of horizontal?

3 miles is not much room to show off, this is what 3 miles looks like, if you go in with the fast pass like they ask you'll over shoot it

Screen_200920_155939.thumb.jpg.5923575ada3f2466eb7a4a29041d3a25.jpg

Ok now a bug, I passed Mission #1 "Time to Show Off" but it won't advance me to the next mission.

3 miles is not much room to show off, this is what 3 miles looks like, if you go in with the fast pass like they ask you'll over shoot it

3nm is a lot of space for maneuvering if you do it properly: there is no need you made the fist pass supersonic: try keep the hornet corner speed and pull the stick. Remember to use both horizontal and vertical planes (i.e. do some looping).

I did that at the first attempt and my main concern was to stay on the left side of the runway, not the 3nm range limit :huh:

Black+Knights_Small.jpg

RDF 3rd Fighter Squadron - "Black Knights": "Ar Cavajere Nero nun je devi cacà er cazzo!"

My Blog (Italian): Notti a (Video)Giocare

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

CPU: i7-11700K@5GHz|GPU: RTX-4070 Super|RAM: 64GB DDR4@3200MHz|SSD: 2x 970EVO Plus + 980 EVO Plus|HOTAS Warthog|TrackIR 5|

3 miles is not much room to show off, this is what 3 miles looks like, if you go in with the fast pass like they ask you'll over shoot it[/quote

Not if you use the vertical as you pass the runway. In fact the actual zone is bigger than 3 miles. The 3 mile restriction is to ensure the display stays in good sight of the crowd. The rule about crossing the display line is standard safety practice at displays.

Ok now a bug, I passed Mission #1 "Time to Show Off" but it won't advance me to the next mission.

Did you get the success message at the end when you landed at the stennis. Also did you shut the mission down correctly at end. Anything out of the ordinary. If you can tell me exactly what happened I can investigate it. I think your the only one that has reported this. When you get the success message that at the same time will set for next mission in the same action.

3nm is a lot of space for maneuvering if you do it properly: there is no need you made the fist pass supersonic: try keep the hornet corner speed and pull the stick. Remember to use both horizontal and vertical planes (i.e. do some looping).

I did that at the first attempt and my main concern was to stay on the left side of the runway, not the 3nm range limit :huh:

Yeah I pretty much forgot that part of the briefing. The limit just encourages you to stay within it to pass. I’ve done plenty of realistic campaign missions with ROEs and restrictions like Red Flag and Maple Flag but those are more authentic. You will fail for going below the hard deck or outside an altitude block.

I wasn’t necessarily complaining about the success criteria but it’s great if scripted campaigns have an auto success option to avoid the Groundhog Day phenomenon.

Edited by SharpeXB

Did you get the success message at the end when you landed at the stennis. Also did you shut the mission down correctly at end.

Yeah I got the success message after landing. Then quit the usual way. I’ll try again and see what happened. I did actually unhook, taxi and shut down the Hornet on the deck. Don’t know if that affects anything.

Yeah I got the success message after landing. Then quit the usual way. I’ll try again and see what happened. I did actually unhook, taxi and shut down the Hornet on the deck. Don’t know if that affects anything.

Hi, shutting down etc should have no impact if you have had the message. I will look into it. Let me know if it happens again. Thanks.

I am writing a new campaign now and think I will put a bypass option in if you are stuck on one mission as you suggest. Missions are meant to give a challenge but not frustrate. Difficult balance sometimes as pilots have varying experience.

Edited by Glyn

Just checked this through as long as you got the success message that is the " the chief has gone ballistic" message you should go to the next mission as the success flag is linked to this message.