Wave off / Bolter pattern

Hi, been reading the new S&A guide and am confused about this......it says establish climb and when abeam the bow ( I can’t see how you end up abeam the bow when taking off from the deck? Surely you will simply be in front of the boat and accelerating away from it?) then right turn to parallel the BRC then take interval with any planes breaking or taking off....This means you would be heading away from any planes taking off, or breaking so how can you take interval with them?

A drawing would really help to clarify......

Finally, in the break section, it says start the break when your interval passes your stabiliser...can some one explain this please ? What’s your interval?

Thank you!

System specs: PC1 :Scan 3XS Ryzen 5900X, 64GB Corsair veng DDR4 3600, EVGA GTX 3090 Win 10, Quest Pro, Samsung Odyssey G9 Neo monitor. Tir5. PC2 ( Helo) Scan 3XS Intel 9900 K, 32 GB Ram, 2080Ti, 50 inch Phillips monitor

F/A-18C: Rhino FFB base TianHang F16 grip, Winwing MP 1, F-18 throttle, TO & Combat panels, MFG crosswind & DFB Aces  seat :cool:                       

Viper: WinWing MFSSB base with F-16 grip, Winwing F-16 throttle, plus Vipergear ICP. MFG crosswind rudders. 

Helo ( Apache) set up: Virpil collective with AH64D grip, Cyclic : Virpil CM3 base & TM F18 grip, MFG crosswind rudders, Total controls AH64 MFD's,  TEDAC Unit. 

Hi, been reading the new S&A guide and am confused about this......it says establish climb and when abeam the bow ( I can’t see how you end up abeam the bow when taking off from the deck? Surely you will simply be in front of the boat and accelerating away from it?) then right turn to parallel the BRC then take interval with any planes breaking or taking off....This means you would be heading away from any planes taking off, or breaking so how can you take interval with them?

A drawing would really help to clarify......

Finally, in the break section, it says start the break when your interval passes your stabiliser...can some one explain this please ? What’s your interval?

Thank you!

At first I was confused as the "Bolter/Waveoff Pattern" refers to Case III only. I then realized you were talking about the Case I/II pattern and if you bolter of waveoff.

Basically once you are airborne and safely climbing away, turn right to align with BRC rather than the angled deck. In the case of CQ only, there may be launches that take off as you bolter or waveoff. In this case, first to the bow has priority.

The term "interval" means the aircraft that is the one that you will be following.

Come join the S&A discord. We have discussions like this all the time.

That’s clear, cheers GB......what’s the best section to post on on your discord? The carrier ops bit seems to only have one post, about the guide.

System specs: PC1 :Scan 3XS Ryzen 5900X, 64GB Corsair veng DDR4 3600, EVGA GTX 3090 Win 10, Quest Pro, Samsung Odyssey G9 Neo monitor. Tir5. PC2 ( Helo) Scan 3XS Intel 9900 K, 32 GB Ram, 2080Ti, 50 inch Phillips monitor

F/A-18C: Rhino FFB base TianHang F16 grip, Winwing MP 1, F-18 throttle, TO & Combat panels, MFG crosswind & DFB Aces  seat :cool:                       

Viper: WinWing MFSSB base with F-16 grip, Winwing F-16 throttle, plus Vipergear ICP. MFG crosswind rudders. 

Helo ( Apache) set up: Virpil collective with AH64D grip, Cyclic : Virpil CM3 base & TM F18 grip, MFG crosswind rudders, Total controls AH64 MFD's,  TEDAC Unit. 

That’s clear, cheers GB......what’s the best section to post on on your discord? The carrier ops bit seems to only have one post, about the guide.

That channel only has the guide. PM Lex for permissions. Use the Aviation Q&A channels to post questions!

:thumbup:

Hi Mark,

Glad to see you have actually taken the time to read my manual, and See GB already beat me to answer your question. I hope that helped answer all your questions and look forward to see you name on the S&A discord.

Just to clarify as GB already said. The Bolter/waveoff pattern is connected to CASE III and will be referencing the FB.

The Bolter/waveoff procedures connected tot the CASE I/II pattern are different and in relation to the BRC.

I have looked up the statement regarding 'ABEAM the BOW'

what this means is: Do not initiate a turn straight away if you bolter or being waved off..

Lets assume you would be waved off in the very last stages of flight, an immediate turn to the BRC would turn you towards the Island, or in the direction of Cat I and Cat II where launches might be in progress during CQ...

So the message I tried to get across, continue straight and level with a positive rate and start the turn beam the bow.

Hope that helps ;)

Hi, thanks, yes, it does, appreciate the hard work that went into producing the guide, it is amazing

Edited by markturner1960

LOMAC, FC, DCS, AV-8B, F/A-18, F-16, AH-64, Super Carrier, Persian Gulf, Syria.

i7 12700K, 4070 Ti PNY XLR8 OC, 64 RAM DDR4 3200, B660M Aorus Pro, 1T NVMe Kingston Fury Renegade (DCS), 1T NVMe Kingston NV2 (OS), ASUS QHD 31,5" VG32VQ1B, VKB Gladiator Pro (metal gimbal) + Kosmosima grip, CH Pro Throttle, TIR 5.

• 1 month later...

I know this thread is old but I have a question on this topic,

When I fly the CASE III waveoff pattern in the Hornet I try to fly at 150 kts with the gear up and flaps at half. When I do that I constantly get the gear handle to flash red and a warning tone.

I have tried to push the landing gear warning silence button but it comes on anyway.

Is this the way real pilots do it or am I doing something wrong, do they constantly have to push this silence button all the way around the waveoff pattern? I have to push it like 20 times at least.

You can read NATOPS to see what triggers the warning tone. Bottom line is that it’s easier to hit than trigger in the bolter/waveoff pattern than almost any other phase of flight. So yes, even IRL it happens if the pilot accidentally causes a sufficient inadvertent descent. The key is to fly as perfectly as you can, and if you trigger the warning, either hit the silence button or climb back up again.

• 2 weeks later...

I dont know if I am right, BUT, if you bolter, establish a clearing turn from BRC then climb 500 feet for 7 miles and parallel BRC for 10 miles ahead of the boat, then turn downwind and contact ATC. The holding pattern differs for II and III but if you are briefed to the marshal, this is where you want to start contacting ATC. I am sure I will be corrected.

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

CaseIII bolter pattern:Flaps half, gear up, fly final bearing (not BRC!) and climb to 1200ft, speed 150kts, then await instructions from ATC to turn downwind. Once cleared downwind, fly a 20-22AOB 180° turn. Ideally, DME should read 2nm when abeam the ship. Wait for tower to clear you to turn final. If cleared at 4nm DME dirty up before the turn. If cleared Later then 4nm but no more then 6nm, dirty up halfway through the turn. If cleared to turn beyond 6nm, dirty up after completing the turn.

CaseII bolter pattern: Same as case I, turn right to align with BRC, fly onspeed with gear and flaps down to 600ft and look for that spot in the traffic pattern to squeeze in.

i5-8600k @4.9Ghz, 2080ti , 32GB@2666Mhz, 512GB SSD

The AI won’t react to you doing it like this currently, but that is correct RL procedure. If you bolter in game , you just have to follow the RL procedure, pick your own point to turn downwind and next AI comms you will get will be when you call the ball.

Hopefully, they will implement the correct bolter response dependant on which approach is being flown in future updates