Hi,

managed to land on the carrier about a hundret times. The big problem is:

I always get this EGIW,

When do I have to get in afterburner ?

Before catching the wire ?

Always thought, I would become to fast.

What is right ?

What goes up, must come down !

Intel Core i7-8700, 16 GB-RAM, Nvidia GTX 1060, 6 GB GDDR5, 1TB HDD, 500 GB 970 EVO Plus NVMe M.2 SSD, Windows 10/64, A10-C, Rhino X55, Persian Golf, F/A-18 Hornet

You fly the AoA indexer and the ball (IFLOLS) until the back wheel touches the deck. Once the wheel contacts the deck, go burner and you either already caught the wire or you haven't. That or you completely overshoot or you get the wave-off lights, then immediately go burner.

OK, I took these advice and run some tests

Horrible landing - but _OK_

Nice landing - but EGIW

Nice landing - _OK_ but full power jumps to 4wire

Hold power in wires - but (EGIW)

Perfect landing - _OK_ Wire3 - full throttle berofe touchdown :/

The conclusion for me is:

- don't operate with throttle In Wires

- before touchdown go full throttle

There is a discrepancy from the manual:

"Do not anticipate an arrested landing. When the aircraft touches down, advance the power to max and retract

the speed brakes in anticipation of a bolter. "

So it's not true. I must advance throttle before touchdown.

Bonus - One turn landing - _OK_

Edited by paura19

OK, I took these advice and run some tests

Horrible landing - but _OK_

Nice landing - but EGIW

Nice landing - _OK_ but full power jumps to 4wire

Hold power in wires - but (EGIW)

Perfect landing - _OK_ Wire3 - full throttle berofe touchdown :/

The conclusion for me is:

- don't operate with throttle In Wires

- before touchdown go full throttle

There is a discrepancy from the manual:

"Do not anticipate an arrested landing. When the aircraft touches down, advance the power to max and retract

the speed brakes in anticipation of a bolter. "

So it's not true. I must advance throttle before touchdown.

Bonus - One turn landing - _OK_

What I do not get is people not having their ICLS on (maybe sharper view not flying VR coming to think of it).

Good post.

| VR goggles | Autopilot panel | Headtracker | TM HOTAS | G920 HOTAS | MS FFB 2 | Throttle Quadrants | 8600K | GTX 1080 | 64GB RAM| Win 10 x64 | Voicerecognition | 50" UHD TV monitor | 40" 1080p TV monitor | 2x 24" 1080p side monitors | 24" 1080p touchscreen |

OK, I took these advice and run some tests ....

Good tests (and landings). I also found out that in order to not get an EGIW and at the same time catch a 3 wire, you need to land with the ball dropping just before touchdown and go full power, before your wheels touch the deck. Not the way I was used to, but this is what's required for _OK_ 3.

What I do not get is people not having their ICLS on (maybe sharper view not flying VR coming to think of it).

Good post.

You don't need ICLS for CASE I, if you fly the numbers. You can use it if it helps you in the final turn, but you're already so close at this point that it can be more of a distraction than a helper, since you're supposed to only fly the ball as soon as you can see it.

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VFA-34.png

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-
i9-13900K, 64GB @6400MHz RAM, 4090 Strix OC, Samsung 990 Pro

You don't need ICLS for CASE I, if you fly the numbers. You can use it if it helps you in the final turn, but you're already so close at this point that it can be more of a distraction than a helper, since you're supposed to only fly the ball as soon as you can see it.

I agree 100%.

I use ICLS to help me line up on final but once I'm within 1nm I ignore it completely. I often got waved off when I tried to follow it to the deck.

I agree 100%.

I use ICLS to help me line up on final but once I'm within 1nm I ignore it completely. I often got waved off when I tried to follow it to the deck.

Every boat trapping is high risk, for the boat in particular.

I doubt if the ships boss agrees that 'pilots do not need ICLS when landing', or cares about that opinion unless the ICLS is out for maintenance.

Edited by majapahit

| VR goggles | Autopilot panel | Headtracker | TM HOTAS | G920 HOTAS | MS FFB 2 | Throttle Quadrants | 8600K | GTX 1080 | 64GB RAM| Win 10 x64 | Voicerecognition | 50" UHD TV monitor | 40" 1080p TV monitor | 2x 24" 1080p side monitors | 24" 1080p touchscreen |

This is the biggest problem with the supercarrier LSO right here, this false EGIW grading. Yes, you can often trick him into not giving you that grade by advancing throttles before touchdown... but that's not correct.

I've taken to using the Airboss LSO grading and pretty much ignoring the boat grading for now, since at least the Airboss LSO grading makes sense, and I'd rather not destabilize a good pass with a power addition in close just to trick the boat LSO into a grade I should have gotten anyway ;). Sure hope this gets addressed soon though; would be nice to not need a script for such an integral part of the carrier experience as pass grading!

• 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, MeatServo said:

Whats really going to throw you for a loop is the server log has a completely different log of your score than one displayed client side.

Real-time results between the server and clients differ as well. Many a time I have seen the client get an OK Underline while the server gave a cut pass or no grade. It turns up in the track files as well.

Edited by Nealius