[NEED TRACK REPLAY]Bug with primer pump

granola1861

Found a bug:

I had been having issues with gaining full power on takeoff even with turbo engaged. It wouldn't happen all the time just maybe 20% of takeoffs.

I know that if the primer pump isn't locked back into place during flight it will effect the power to the engine... and that seems correct and that isn't the issue.

I found that when starting (I've flown the A2A jug and used to flying it) if I leave the primer unlocked during startup and pump it during startup (should be modeled if not already for cold starts) and lock it back after the engine is started and running smooth the power will not come up on takeoff. The RPM will not even fully rise as it should.

I was powering up prior to coming off the brakes for takeoff (I've started doing this to see if I was making full power prior to starting my roll) and the engine wasn't generating full power and the turbo RPM wasn't coming up as it should. I then decided to check my primer lock. Once I cycled the primer lock I was able to gain full power and the turbo began generating as it normally does.

The issue is that the primer pump (if primed after or during engine starting) and locked again doesn't fully register in game. By cycling the primer lock it registered once again as fully locked.

In the future my solution is to NOT prime on starting ONLY prior to engaging starter. If in the future priming is required for cold starts (environmental cold not cold start on ground as in game settings) this may need to be addressed in the coding.

The need to prime to assist in starting is a normal procedure and the engine should be able to be started and run (poorly but should run) on primer alone without the mixture engaged. Like I said before I don't know if this is modeled yet or not.

Love the jug and can't wait for future capabilities to come to this module.

-Climber

As promised here is a link to the video created to accompany the above track file. I apologize that the voice over couldn't be heard over engine noise explaining the steps I was taking to reproduce the issue. I also apologize as I accidentally pumped the primer while cycling the lock during takeoff. Fat finger on the mouse button. This issue will occur with or without the pumping as the issue is more with the cycling of the pump locking mechanism.

https://youtu.be/dYPM8vOeP50

Best,

-Climber

Here is a track of the primer bug in my testing. With the engine running if you turn the primer pump to open, and when the manifold pressure drops and close it. The manifold pressure stays at the dropped state. At any point you open and close the primer pump the Manifold pressure will rise to the normal state again.

In this track I took off with the bug in place with the low manifold pressure. And also redid the take off in the same direction at the same airport with the normal manifold pressure.

With the ambient air temp at 50C, the P-47 has a hard time taking off when this bug is in place.

Note: this test was done with out the use of the turbo.

Jesse.

Primer Pump Bug.trk

That's quite interesting. I've never had to give it a shot while starting, usually a slow roll from cutoff to AR will just cause it to light up.

I wonder if you do have to add it during start, that if you latch, unlatch, and latch again if it will fix the issue. Similar to how either the oil cooler or intercooler cowls would not be able to move until you moved the switch both ways.