DCS 2.7 shader edits

7 hours ago, swartbyron said:

Agreed, the new Caucasus textures look awful without Mustangs Shaders. 👍

I wont fly Caucasus without them!

+1

• Like 1

- "Don't be John Wayne in the Break if you´re going to be Jerry Lewis on the Ball".

About carrier ops: "The younger pilots are still quite capable of holding their heads forward against the forces. The older ones have been doing this too long and know better; sore necks make for poor sleep.'

PC: I7 4790K 4.6ghz | 32GB RAM | Zotac GTX 1080Ti 11Gb DDR5x | Water cooler NZXT AIO Kraken x53 | 3.5TB (x4 SSD´s) | Valve Index| Andre´s JeatSeat.

Same, always the first mod I install after each update. And the ghosting thing is to do with the core game, I see it with no mods. 

I love this mod Mustang, I hope you are able to keep it up! Thanks! 

"...I just wanna fly; put your arms around me baby, put your arms around me baby" - Sugar Ray

RTX 3090, Ryzen 7 5800X3D, MSI MPG B550 Gaming mobo, 64 GB DDR4 RAM, 970 EVO Plus NVMe M.2 SSD 2TB game install drive, Oculus Quest Pro via link cable, Standalone DCS beta.

It doesn't help that DCS' engine has such terrible graphic options, and we can't properly override the existing AA. I finally learned how to use DSR and was taking 4k screenshots last night, and even with the ghosting the water looked WAY better with the custom shaders. The default water is just too reflective for me, especially at distance, and at sunset/sunrise.

I'm curious what is causing the ghosting. Has anyone tried installing the shader pack minus the water reflections? Or compared side to side to make small changes one by one to see what setting might be impacting it?

Heatblur Rivet Counting Squad™

VF-11 and VF-31 1988 [WIP]

VF-201 & VF-202 [WIP]

• 4 weeks later...

This still seems to work OK with the latest OB 2.7.4.  Interested if anyone has seen any issues with it, I’ve had limited time in the last few weeks, so it's really been a total of about 2 hours worth of sim time that my conclusion is based on.

12900KF | Maximus Hero Z690 | ASUS 4090 TUF OC | 64GB DDR5 5200 | DCS on 2TB NVMe | WarBRD+Warthog Stick | CM3 | TM TPR's | Varjo Aero

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 6/16/2021 at 11:19 PM, LanceCriminal86 said:

Has anyone observed weird "ghosting" when in F2 view over water?

its part of the SSLR algorithm. its present in vanilla DCS but the shader edits may make it a bit more obvious. the algorithm mixes current frame with previous frame to decrease noise.

i found a way how to disable it however. in enlight/waterReflection.hlsl, replace:

return float4(mixPrevFrame(refl.xyz, NDC), 1);

with:

return float4(refl.xyz, 1);

and delete:

if (useMixPrevFrame)
        return float4(mixPrevFrame(refl, NDC), 1);
    else

now ghosting is entirely gone but the reflections will be quite noisy. your choice.

it would be worthwhile to investigate how to make the shader use exclusively the current frame in reflection areas that werent present in the previous frame based on depth buffer or stencil buffer but thats beyond my abilities. if possible, this would remove both noise and ghosting of objects moving above water. im not smart enough for this sort of stuff.

Edited by dorianR666
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600X

GPU: AMD RX 580

here is comparison:

left side: vanilla DCS (Mustangs shader edits behave this way as well)

right side: my modification as described above

notice that ghosting of ships antennas (white trailing "shadow"), edges of screen (repeated white lines) and distorted reflections of terrain during zooming, are gone.

downside is that the reflections are less smooth.

Edited by dorianR666
  • Like 1

Thanks for that testing. I love Mustang shaders but not so much the ghosting effect. I will try your fix to see if the sharpen reflections are to much.

" You must think in russian.."

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Windows 7 Home Premium-Intel 2500K OC 4.6-SSD Samsung EVO 860- MSI GTX 1080 - 16G RAM - 1920x1080 27´

Hotas Rhino X-55-MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals -Track IR 4

3 hours ago, Esac_mirmidon said:

Thanks for that testing.

No problem.

3 hours ago, Esac_mirmidon said:

if the sharpen reflections are to much.

Its fine most of the time but looks distracting sometimes. The real problem is that the game renders the reflections at much lower resolution than screen and then upscales it. In regards to my modification, this means that the reflection "pixels" are large and this makes the jittery nature of my mod worse. Each speck of reflection is about 3-4 pixels wide. There is no moddable solution for this, ED would have to add a resolution setting for this.

On a positive node, I have found that my mod also entirely eliminates this issue:

vlcsnap-2021-08-18-05h48m24s722.jpgvlcsnap-2021-08-18-05h48m21s347.jpg

which happens when you switch cameras sometimes, as you have probably already noticed while playing DCS.

ED should program the game to discard the previous frame when switching cameras, as the image cannot possibly be correct.

Edited by dorianR666
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, dorianR666 said:

its part of the SSLR algorithm. its present in vanilla DCS but the shader edits may make it a bit more obvious. the algorithm mixes current frame with previous frame to decrease noise.

i found a way how to disable it however. in enlight/waterReflection.hlsl, replace:

with:

and delete:

if (useMixPrevFrame)
    else

now ghosting is entirely gone but the reflections will be quite noisy. your choice.

it would be worthwhile to investigate how to make the shader use exclusively the current frame in reflection areas that werent present in the previous frame based on depth buffer or stencil buffer but thats beyond my abilities. if possible, this would remove both noise and ghosting of objects moving above water. im not smart enough for this sort of stuff.

Hi,

strange artifacts on the water surface have been here for several years.

Repair is easy, please @BIGNEWY check, thank you.

🖥️MSI PRO Z690-A DDR4, Kingston 3600 MHz 64 Gb, i5 12600K, Gigabyte RTX 4090, Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus,🕹️VKB NXT Premium.

5 hours ago, dorianR666 said:

here is comparison:

left side: vanilla DCS (Mustangs shader edits behave this way as well)

right side: my modification as described above

notice that ghosting of ships antennas (white trailing "shadow"), edges of screen (repeated white lines) and distorted reflections of terrain during zooming, are gone.

downside is that the reflections are less smooth.

I've adjusted according to the instructions and all the disturbing ghosts are gone.

Overall, the water is now more realistic, and the adjustment even passes through IC ready.

This is a handy 👍 fix and thank you to the creator Dorian.

🖥️MSI PRO Z690-A DDR4, Kingston 3600 MHz 64 Gb, i5 12600K, Gigabyte RTX 4090, Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus,🕹️VKB NXT Premium.

13 hours ago, dorianR666 said:

with:

and delete:

if (useMixPrevFrame)
    else

thanks for this just; checking your second edit (highlighted above) that leaves a hanging return?  do you keep the else or lose the return ?  or just leave it hanging 🙂

NVM - figured it out (doh)

Edited by speed-of-heat

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

I think overall the fix is worthy.

The benefits of the shaders pack plus the fix you provided is a very good compromise in most situations.

Its true that sometimes the sharpen effect is to much. But IS good enough for me. Thanks mate for the fix

" You must think in russian.."

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Windows 7 Home Premium-Intel 2500K OC 4.6-SSD Samsung EVO 860- MSI GTX 1080 - 16G RAM - 1920x1080 27´

Hotas Rhino X-55-MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals -Track IR 4

On 8/17/2021 at 6:07 PM, dorianR666 said:

with:

and delete:

if (useMixPrevFrame)
    else

This works. I noticed that the ghosting at the horizon comes back though if I go inverted, pretty much any roll angle >90°, and it's quite pixelated. Still looks great the rest of the time though, and I can't say I find the reflections particularly noisy. Thanks for doing this, it's a keeper! 

"...I just wanna fly; put your arms around me baby, put your arms around me baby" - Sugar Ray

RTX 3090, Ryzen 7 5800X3D, MSI MPG B550 Gaming mobo, 64 GB DDR4 RAM, 970 EVO Plus NVMe M.2 SSD 2TB game install drive, Oculus Quest Pro via link cable, Standalone DCS beta.

• 1 month later...

I confirm the crash too. It happens when I switch the external view to a boat or an object near a boat.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Intel I7 8700K / RTX 3080 / 32Go DDR4 PC21300 G.Skill Ripjaws V / MSI Z370 Gaming Pro Carbon / Cooler Master Silent Pro Gold - 1000W / Noctua NH-D14 / Acer XB270HUDbmiprz 27" G-synch 144Hz / SSD Samsung 860EVO 250Go + 1To / Cooler Master HAF X / Warthog+VPC WarBRD / Thrustmaster TPR / Track-IR v5 + Track Clip Pro / Windows 11 64bits.

This mod is still working for me on the latest 2.7.7 version from today. The kegetys/SOH mod (https://forums.eagle.ru/topic/183659-vr-shaders-mod-for-better-vr-experience/page/103/) is causing a DX11 error crash for me though. I believe they are aware of it and are seeing what can be done. Apparently the IC pass version still works

image.png

Edited by Sandmonkee

note that metashaders is now encrypted... so that means specifically that grass.fx wont have any effect. but otherwise this seems to work 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero

This mod was the one who works best for me.

Crashing DCS too after today patch. Hope it can be fixed.

Thank you.

- "Don't be John Wayne in the Break if you´re going to be Jerry Lewis on the Ball".

About carrier ops: "The younger pilots are still quite capable of holding their heads forward against the forces. The older ones have been doing this too long and know better; sore necks make for poor sleep.'

PC: I7 4790K 4.6ghz | 32GB RAM | Zotac GTX 1080Ti 11Gb DDR5x | Water cooler NZXT AIO Kraken x53 | 3.5TB (x4 SSD´s) | Valve Index| Andre´s JeatSeat.

3 hours ago, speed-of-heat said:

note that metashaders is now encrypted... so that means specifically that grass.fx wont have any effect. but otherwise this seems to work 

I know nothing of how this stuff works, but I know I have grass turned off completely in the DCS settings. Could that be why the game loads for me but not for some (who may have grass turned on)?

Again, I have no idea what I'm talking about.

Try this

1) uninstall the mod

2) rename the metashaders folder in the mod to become “— metashaders” or delete it

3) reapply the mod

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1