GPU to run reverb G2

Waltan

My existing specs didn’t deliver a good experience with the Reverb, so I’d suggest waiting for the 3080 Ti.

Intel 11900K/NVIDIA RTX 3090/32GB DDR4 3666/Z590 Asus Maximus motherboard/2TB Samsung EVO Pro/55" LG C9 120Hz @ 4K/Windows 10/Jotunheim Schiit external headphone amp/Virpil HOTAS + MFG Crosswind pedals

I get a good Reverb experience with a 1080ti, I expect the G2 to be the same, as the resolution is equivalent, and should be the main driver for performance. Looking forward to receiving the G2!

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

My existing specs didn’t deliver a good experience with the Reverb, so I’d suggest waiting for the 3080 Ti.

Wow I would have thought you would get good performance with that rig.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Ok, thats concerning. If I can get 40-60 fps at medium to high settings I would be satisfied. Were you able to achieve this?

Ok, thats concerning. If I can get 40-60 fps at medium to high settings I would be satisfied. Were you able to achieve this?

I get a solid 45 FPS (SteamVR for WMR motion reprojection turned on) with only occasional stuttering/ghosting over large cities at low altitude. My settings are here: https://imageshack.com/a/A7xo/1 . The three main DCS settings that affect performance are PD, shadows, and MSAA. But, with the Reverb's higher resolution, you don't need to set PD any higher than 1.0, unlike lower-resolution headsets that require higher PD just to look half-way decent, and actually have worse performance. My Reverb G1 Pro actually performs better in DCS than my Rift CV1 did (the Rift I had to run at 2.0 PD, with 2X MSAA, along with the shaders mod). The higher SS/PD settings that lower-resolution headsets need is a major performance killer, and the Reverb doesn't need artificial help from either of those two things. Since the G2 is the same resolution, I think we can expect it to work just as well as the G1. With a 2070 Super, you'll probably have to run lower MSAA than what I run, but you should be good.

EVGA Z690 Classified, Intel i9 12900KS Alder Lake processor, MSI MAG Core Liquid 360R V2 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler, G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 64GB DDR5 6400 memory, EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra 24GB video card, Samsung 980PRO 1TB M2.2280 SSD for Windows 10 64-bit OS, Samsung 980PRO 2TB M2.2280 SSD for program files, LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray burner. HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pedals, HP Reverb G2. Partridge and pear tree pending. :pilotfly:

Again I get good 45fps on an 1080ti

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

GPU to run reverb G2

Again I get good 45fps on an 1080ti

My 1080ti has to be a fake one then...I am not able to keep 45fps with a Reverb (in fact i returned it).

The comment is not to be indented as negative towards you, but I cannot understand how many people with lower or similar specs to me are reporting better performances in VR.

I cannot live without msaa and with shadows lower then low in VR...but only lowering these two settings and keeping visibility to medium i can get decent performances.

While with the rift S i can have msaa 2x, water high, visibility high and shadows to low without ant problem to keep always 40fps

Edited by VirusAM

🖥️ R7-5800X3D 64GB RTX-4090 LG-38GN950  🥽  Valve Index 🕹️ VPForce Rhino FFB, Virpil F-14 (VFX) Grip, Virpil Alpha Grip, Virpil CM3 Throttle + Control Panel 2, Winwing Orion (Skywalker) Pedals, Razer Tartarus V2 💺SpeedMaster Flight Seat, JetSeat

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VF-103.png

My 1080ti has to be a fake one then...I am not able to keep 45fps with a Reverb (in fact i returned it).

The comment is not to be indented as negative towards you, but I cannot understand how many people with lower or similar specs to me are reporting better performances in VR.

I cannot live without msaa and with shadows lower then low in VR...but only lowering these two settings and keeping visibility to medium i can get decent performances.

While with the rift S i can have msaa 2x, water high, visibility high and shadows to low without ant problem to keep always 40fps

if you look at my settings you will see, i dont run with MSAA or shadows, you simply cant afford to on the Reverb with a 1080ti ... your old Rift-s drives 1280 x1 440 or 1843200 pixels per eye , by contrast the Reverb is driving 2160 x 2160 (4665600 pixels)per eye or 2.5 times the total number of pixels.

if you want MSAA then you need to run either at a lower resolution (try setting the steam SS to 90%)...

And in the current state of the game running shadows is functionally going to be stressing in 2.5.6 even on low, certainly on the ground less so in the air.

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero

if you look at my settings you will see, i dont run with MSAA or shadows, you simply cant afford to on the Reverb with a 1080ti ... your old Rift-s drives 1280 x1 440 or 1843200 pixels per eye , by contrast the Reverb is driving 2160 x 2160 (4665600 pixels)per eye or 2.5 times the total number of pixels.

if you want MSAA then you need to run either at a lower resolution (try setting the steam SS to 90%)...

And in the current state of the game running shadows is functionally going to be stressing in 2.5.6 even on low, certainly on the ground less so in the air.

Yes I know that...

But some people thinks that just because the Reverb has higher res screens and you won’t need PD > 1 then you will have better performances then with the Rift or other lower res headsets that needs some pixel density.

That is not true as simply i run the rift S usually at 1.2 but event at 1.5 it runs fine most of the time.

About shadows and msaa...

If you use the hornet or the Tomcat without shadows you will see some light bleeding through the buttons of the upfront panel...

With the Hornet flat shadows gives a very fake lighting effect when behind the sun.

About msaa...without it all the mfd lines are aliased and also the needles of many instruments ....

So in the end i prefer the Rift S with higher visual settings as still the visual quality is better then its specs would suggest...very good for the price indeed...

🖥️ R7-5800X3D 64GB RTX-4090 LG-38GN950  🥽  Valve Index 🕹️ VPForce Rhino FFB, Virpil F-14 (VFX) Grip, Virpil Alpha Grip, Virpil CM3 Throttle + Control Panel 2, Winwing Orion (Skywalker) Pedals, Razer Tartarus V2 💺SpeedMaster Flight Seat, JetSeat

Yes I know that...

But some people thinks that just because the Reverb has higher res screens and you won’t need PD > 1 then you will have better performances then with the Rift or other lower res headsets that needs some pixel density.

That is not true as simply i run the rift S usually at 1.2 but event at 1.5 it runs fine most of the time.

It is true, actually, and you probably just didn't have motion reprojection turned on, which is pretty much automatic with Oculus headsets (ASW). It is not automatic with headsets like the Reverb. You have to turn it on in SteamVR. Just the fact that you're saying you couldn't get 45 FPS tells me you didn't have motion reprojection turned on. If its turned on, the FPS counter should be locked at 45, and not fluctuate up and down. Plenty of people with Reverbs have had good results by using the settings we've been suggesting. Implying that those of us who have it working must be doing something wrong is an illogical conclusion.

EVGA Z690 Classified, Intel i9 12900KS Alder Lake processor, MSI MAG Core Liquid 360R V2 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler, G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 64GB DDR5 6400 memory, EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra 24GB video card, Samsung 980PRO 1TB M2.2280 SSD for Windows 10 64-bit OS, Samsung 980PRO 2TB M2.2280 SSD for program files, LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray burner. HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pedals, HP Reverb G2. Partridge and pear tree pending. :pilotfly:

GPU to run reverb G2

It is true, actually, and you probably just didn't have motion reprojection turned on, which is pretty much automatic with Oculus headsets (ASW). It is not automatic with headsets like the Reverb. You have to turn it on in SteamVR. Just the fact that you're saying you couldn't get 45 FPS tells me you didn't have motion reprojection turned on. If its turned on, the FPS counter should be locked at 45, and not fluctuate up and down. Plenty of people with Reverbs have had good results by using the settings we've been suggesting. Implying that those of us who have it working must be doing something wrong is an illogical conclusion.

I had motion smoothing on...

At that time i tried both wmr own thing (motion vector in its text file) and steamvr option which later became available to non valve/htc headsets (motion smoothing).

My fps were locked at 45 (i had motion smoothing forced to always on for DCS)...but there were many situations were my system could not handle 45 fps and so oscillated between 36/42.

I also tried the 60hz route but I wasn’t satisfied with that.

I used fpsvr to try to understand what was going on...I know my stuff...

I tried a lot and came to the conclusion that for now the Rift S is the best solution for DCS World VR.

Later with other hardware and with the DCS optimizations we will see.

I won’t spend 1300 euros on a gpu 20% better then mine, so we will see what happens with the next ones..

Edited by VirusAM

I'll probably up my rig next year, something 9700Kish or equivalent plus literally everything except for drives and a graphics card, so I wonder if the G2 would run sufficiently well enough on a 1080 nonti in that until I can afford a 3080ti later on as I don't wanna do half baked things again and just get the real thing, this is DCS after all. Having the res bumped quite significantly meanwhile would make flying a lot gooder™ though.

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg

You do realize that one of the top streamers of DCS has a lesser setup than the two of us and runs the G1... While streaming none the less and it works very well.

Is he able to run dcs and stream while always keeping 45fps (without never a dip under that?) and all with reasonable visual quality settings?

Show me please and what magic he does...

Is he able to run dcs and stream while always keeping 45fps (without never a dip under that?) and all with reasonable visual quality settings?

There's isn't a system out there that does this. I mean it clearly depends on your definition of "reasonable" :)...

My system does this for me... but only with flat shadows and one step below max view range. No other super good stuff turned on (SSLR etc...). Plenty of regular stuff turned on... Like high textures/water/AF/trees/smoke/etc...

It's easy... turn off the heavy hitters... turn on the easy stuff... crank up the MSAA/PD until you get to acceptable frame time.

To me... it looks pretty good. It can be better with cockpit shadows, ground shadows etc... sure... but the immersion of VR is a trade off you have to make.

Nvidia RTX3080 (HP Reverb), AMD 3800x

Asus Prime X570P, 64GB G-Skill RipJaw 3600

Saitek X-65F and Fanatec Club-Sport Pedals (Using VJoy and Gremlin to remap Throttle and Clutch into a Rudder axis)

You would have to get your rift to run at a PD of 1.6 to have the same resolution, and you are also pushing just about 12% less frames as well... so yes it will run faster on the rift s... but I’m sure you know that already...

You do realize that one of the top streamers of DCS has a lesser setup than the two of us and runs the G1... While streaming none the less and it works very well.

Since I don't know who you're referring to as this is your first post on this topic: I'd like to see the top streamer that runs a G1 on less than a 3570k and 1080 8G. And you didn't even tell your specs at all...

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg

Since I don't know who you're referring to as this is your first post on this topic: I'd like to see the top streamer that runs a G1 on less than a 3570k and 1080 8G. And you didn't even tell your specs at all...

Well you just kind of slid into the post sunshine. I was referring to the guy saying it wasn't doable with a 9900k and a 2080ti.

Which if you're still wondering those are my specs as well.

Your specs yes you may struggle as your 1080 is already bottlenecked by the CPU. However the upgrades you mentioned would definitely fix all of that.