Slew to target overwrites JDAM coordinates

NightstalkerNOR

Hello.

I've recently tried engaging targets using the TPOD with JDAMs. I've figured out how to do it with several JDAMS successfully hitting the target.

However, if I want to quickly slew back to the target area (to evaluate my hits), I have to do so manually. If I don't do it manually, and use the "assign waypoint as target" function, I will end up overwriting all coordinates set for the JDAMs targets.

Is there a way to avoid this issue to quickly reaquire the target area, or do I have to manually find the target area after assigning target coordinates for the JDAMs?

The waypoint designate button, which you're using to try to slew the TPOD to a waypoint, is literally meant to immediately plug that WP information into the selected weapon if possible. Just gotta slew back manually for now, unless it was after your last bomb, then you can waypoint designate to slave the TPOD back to a WP to look.

I believe that is what I have been doing. I am able to set target coordinates for the individual bomb, but when I'm done with the last bomb, I undesignate the TGP, exit the MSN-page and then I've pressed the waypoint designate button to slave the TGP to the target waypoint. Doing that overwrites all coordinates set to the individual bomb, not just the last bomb I configured.

In other words: I am currently unable to slave the TGP to the targetpoint through the waypoint-designate function after coordinates are set in the individual bomb. It will reset the coordinates for all bombs.

It isn't resetting the coords for all the bombs as soon as you press WPDSG.

The way TOO works is that it will take whatever coordinates the current TGT designation has and put them into the display TOO station. So when you press WPDSG then that waypoint becomes the TGT designation, that means the current JDAM station in TOO will take those coordinates. If you then step to another station without removing that TGT designation (undesignate) then the next JDAM station will take those same coordinates from the waypoint. Which means as you drop through your sequence, as each station comes up next in the drop sequence, it will take the waypoints cooordinates.

This is one of the reasons why dropping several JDAMs on several TOOs is ill advised.

476th Discord   |    476th Website    |    Swift Youtube
Ryzen 5800x, RTX 4070ti, 64GB, Quest 2

Thanks for your reply.

I'm sorry, but I don't understand. Might be that I'm talking around myself and making me unclear, but I've had multiple different tries doing what I've mentioned in previous replies.

I've tried two methods after the last bomb has been configured:

1: (Stay in MSN page) Undesignate TGP and press WPDSG to slave TGP to target area = Only the last - selected - bomb get the designated waypoint coordinates. All other bombs have the correct individual coordinates previously set.

2: Undesignate TGP, exit MSN page and then press WPDSG to slave TGP to target area = ALL bombs get the same WP coordinate

If I understand you guys correctly, this is the way it works at the moment, and the only way to avoid it is to manually slew the TGP to the target area?

AFAIK the JDAMs are still WIP. I've stopped using JDAMs due to the continuous JDAM and TGP changes in the last months, which required frequently revising of the TOO programming procedures. Most available Tutorials are outdated. The only current Tutorial I've found is

, which shows the current pretty unhandy procedure.
Edited by AstonMartinDBS

[Modules] A-10C, A-10C II, AH-64D, F-14A/B, F-16C, F/A-18C, FC3, Ka-50, P-51D, UH-1H, CA, SC
[Maps] PG, NTTR, Normandy, Sinai, Syria, TC

[OS] Windows 11 Pro
[PC] MSI Pro Z790-A, i9-13900K, 64 GB DDR5-5200, RTX 4090 24 GB GDDR6X, 2 x SSD 990 PRO 2 TB (M.2), Corsair 5000D Airflow, HX1500i, H150i RGB Elite, Acer X28, TM HOTAS Warthog (Grip@WarBRD Base), MS SW FFB2, Thrustmaster TFRP, TrackIR 5 & TrackClip Pro
[Checklists] A-10C, F-16C, F/A-18C, AH-64D, Ka-50, UH-1H

Thanks for your reply.

I'm sorry, but I don't understand. Might be that I'm talking around myself and making me unclear, but I've had multiple different tries doing what I've mentioned in previous replies.

1: (Stay in MSN page) Undesignate TGP and press WPDSG to slave TGP to target area = Only the last - selected - bomb get the designated waypoint coordinates. All other bombs have the correct individual coordinates previously set.

2: Undesignate TGP, exit MSN page and then press WPDSG to slave TGP to target area = ALL bombs get the same WP coordinate

If I understand you guys correctly, this is the way it works at the moment, and the only way to avoid it is to manually slew the TGP to the target area?

Yeah pretty much.

As I said its that last wpdsg that you do. When you wpdsg to slew the pod to the target you set a new TGT point. Having that TGT point means that each TOO bomb you drop will go to that new TGT point.

476th Discord   |    476th Website    |    Swift Youtube
Ryzen 5800x, RTX 4070ti, 64GB, Quest 2

Not sure this is intended. As Swift has said once you designate a target using WPDSG then any TOO JDAM you select should take this as the TOO Target. Whether you have the MSN page displayed or not should not make any difference, but it may do in DCS.

As like Swift says - they are not all getting the target at that time, but as you drop each one the next one is selected, and if there is a target designated (via WPDSG in this case) then it gets theses coordinate. This is the correct behaviour.

Either that, or you need to use WPDSG after the last bomb has left the aircraft.

When i launch the last JDAM i simply hit WPDSG and problem solved

NZXT H9 Flow Black | Intel Core i5 13600KF OCed P5.6 E4.4 | Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo DDR5-6000 32GB C30 OCed 6600 C32 | nVidia GeForce RTX 4090 Founders Edition |  Western Digital SN770 2TB | Gigabyte GP-UD1000GM PG5 ATX 3.0 1000W | SteelSeries Apex 7 | Razer Viper Mini | SteelSeries Artics Nova 7 | LG OLED42C2 | Xiaomi P1 55"

Virpil T-50 CM2 Base + Thrustmaster Warthog Stick | WinWing Orion 2 F16EX Viper Throttle  | WinWing ICP | 3 x Thrustmaster MFD | Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals | Oculus Quest 2

DCS World | Persian Gulf | Syria | Flaming Cliff 3 | P-51D Mustang | Spitfire LF Mk. IX | Fw-109 A-8 | A-10C II Tank Killer | F/A-18C Hornet | F-14B Tomcat | F-16C Viper | F-15E Strike Eagle | M2000C | Ka-50 BlackShark III | Mi-24P Hind | AH-64D Apache | SuperCarrier

For me, i’ve found success in using TOO mode with GPS guided munitions by designating and releasing one target and bomb at a time.

1.) Setup ordinance (fuse, TOO mode per station).

2.) Slew TGP to target.

3.) Press TDC depress.

4.) Release weapon.

5.) Go back to step 2 and repeat.

For me, i’ve found success in using TOO mode with GPS guided munitions by designating and releasing one target and bomb at a time.

1.) Setup ordinance (fuse, TOO mode per station).

2.) Slew TGP to target.

3.) Press TDC depress.

4.) Release weapon.

5.) Go back to step 2 and repeat.

The thing is that when you uploaded that video the TGP works that way, pressing TDC depress to load the coordinates to the JDAM.

This has changed and now TGP overwrite the coordinates of the selected JDAM as you slew it without pressing TDC

NZXT H9 Flow Black | Intel Core i5 13600KF OCed P5.6 E4.4 | Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo DDR5-6000 32GB C30 OCed 6600 C32 | nVidia GeForce RTX 4090 Founders Edition |  Western Digital SN770 2TB | Gigabyte GP-UD1000GM PG5 ATX 3.0 1000W | SteelSeries Apex 7 | Razer Viper Mini | SteelSeries Artics Nova 7 | LG OLED42C2 | Xiaomi P1 55"

Virpil T-50 CM2 Base + Thrustmaster Warthog Stick | WinWing Orion 2 F16EX Viper Throttle  | WinWing ICP | 3 x Thrustmaster MFD | Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals | Oculus Quest 2

DCS World | Persian Gulf | Syria | Flaming Cliff 3 | P-51D Mustang | Spitfire LF Mk. IX | Fw-109 A-8 | A-10C II Tank Killer | F/A-18C Hornet | F-14B Tomcat | F-16C Viper | F-15E Strike Eagle | M2000C | Ka-50 BlackShark III | Mi-24P Hind | AH-64D Apache | SuperCarrier

The thing is that when you uploaded that video the TGP works that way, pressing TDC depress to load the coordinates to the JDAM.

This has changed and now TGP overwrite the coordinates of the selected JDAM as you slew it without pressing TDC

Sure, the video is outdated, but it should make no difference if you release each JSOWs immediately after assigning the coordinates to the station by slewing onto the target (without pressing TDC).

[Modules] A-10C, A-10C II, AH-64D, F-14A/B, F-16C, F/A-18C, FC3, Ka-50, P-51D, UH-1H, CA, SC
[Maps] PG, NTTR, Normandy, Sinai, Syria, TC

[OS] Windows 11 Pro
[PC] MSI Pro Z790-A, i9-13900K, 64 GB DDR5-5200, RTX 4090 24 GB GDDR6X, 2 x SSD 990 PRO 2 TB (M.2), Corsair 5000D Airflow, HX1500i, H150i RGB Elite, Acer X28, TM HOTAS Warthog (Grip@WarBRD Base), MS SW FFB2, Thrustmaster TFRP, TrackIR 5 & TrackClip Pro
[Checklists] A-10C, F-16C, F/A-18C, AH-64D, Ka-50, UH-1H

I've tried TOO mode to load multiple targets via the TGP and it's very tedious, because any time you slew the pod, it's updating the coordinates, as opposed to updating the coords when you TDC depress only... it's weird, and not working at all like it was in any of the tutorials i've found.

Sure, the video is outdated, but it should make no difference if you release each JSOWs immediately after assigning the coordinates to the station by slewing onto the target (without pressing TDC).

It makes a difference at the scenario that the OP has exposed

I've tried TOO mode to load multiple targets via the TGP and it's very tedious, because any time you slew the pod, it's updating the coordinates, as opposed to updating the coords when you TDC depress only... it's weird, and not working at all like it was in any of the tutorials i've found.

Now, for multiple targets on TOO (two, for example) mode you have to:

1. Select first station

2. Select TOO1

3. Slew to target

4. Select second station

5. Select TOO1

6. Slew to target

7. Undesignate

8. Dont press WPDSG on HSI to slew the TGP over the target area cause this will overwrite the coordinates of the actual station selected

Once you have the TGP over a target for selected station you FIRST select the next station before you slew to the next target

I know right now its weird and cant see the advantage of doing this way but i dont know if works this way IRL

So, if I want to use the TGP to confirm impacts, I have to wait until I drop, then hit WPDSG and zoom out (assuming I have a waypoint for the general target area)?

this feels very much like a WIP that could change the workflow dramatically in the future... but i literally know nothing about how the 18's Lpod works IRL. I do know a thing or two about user workflows, however :)

I wish we could create waypoints from the TGP :)

Edited by Banzaiib

So, if I want to use the TGP to confirm impacts, I have to wait until I drop, then hit WPDSG and zoom out (assuming I have a waypoint for the general target area

Yes

So, if I want to use the TGP to confirm impacts, I have to wait until I drop, then hit WPDSG and zoom out (assuming I have a waypoint for the general target area)?

this feels very much like a WIP that could change the workflow dramatically in the future... but i literally know nothing about how the 18's Lpod works IRL. I do know a thing or two about user workflows, however :)

I wish we could create waypoints from the TGP :)

Someone else confirmed, but you definitely need to undesignate after the last TOO 1/2 coordinates have been set via TGP. If you don't undesignate at the end, you will overwrite previous coordinates. Pickling the bombs will auto-cycle between stations but NOT between TOO 1/2; you have to cycle between TOO 1/2 manually.

After all bombs are off the rail, you can use WPDSG for BDA via TGP. To make this easier, just create a WP using the MSI/waypoint sub-menu and store it in a different sequence than your navigation waypoints. You can keep waypoints separated and better organized by storing them in three different sequences. By default, waypoints are placed into SEQ1.

After all bombs are off the rail, you can use WPDSG for BDA via TGP. To make this easier, just create a WP using the MSI/waypoint sub-menu and store it in a different sequence than your navigation waypoints. You can keep waypoints separated and better organized by storing them in three different sequences. By default, waypoints are placed into SEQ1.

Yeah I hope ED will give us TGP markpoints very soon because especially with TOO attacks you often don't have the coordinates without the F10 map what makes BDA a real pain when dropping more than one JDAM.

Yeah I hope ED will give us TGP markpoints very soon because especially with TOO attacks you often don't have the coordinates without the F10 map what makes BDA a real pain when dropping more than one JDAM.

Markpoints will be wonderful, definitely agree. If they can add GPS coordinates to the TGP, which they were ostensibly almost finished with, that will help a bit until markpoints are added.

Okay I just was flying the F18 and noticed that where ever I moved the Tpod to and release a jdam the bomb would go to that spot. It was doing this without having to designate the point to the bomb. Plus every bomb released would also go to that spot without designating the info to the next bomb. I have been away for a few weeks and kept up with the updates. Didn't see anything about this. The coordinates are changing as I slew the the Tpod around. I stop, release and bomb goes to that target spot.

Okay I just was flying the F18 and noticed that where ever I moved the Tpod to and release a jdam the bomb would go to that spot. It was doing this without having to designate the point to the bomb. Plus every bomb released would also go to that spot without designating the info to the next bomb. I have been away for a few weeks and kept up with the updates. Didn't see anything about this. The coordinates are changing as I slew the the Tpod around. I stop, release and bomb goes to that target spot.

Oh cmon, just read the topic...

I did read the topic and that is how I have been doing it. The question is did anyone notice the change. The issue is the I was no longer needing to hit TDC Depress to lock the coordinates to the bomb. No point in creating a whole ton of new post if we are having an issue under the same system. It's called sharing an issue to see if someone else noticed this. So your comment is unwarranted when the OP the slew might be overriding with the slew my issue was there was no overriding it just would not accepting the the coordinate input to begin with. This was a simple yes or no question.

Edited by Cueball

I did read the topic and that is how I have been doing it. The question is did anyone notice the change. The issue is the I was no longer needing to hit TDC Depress to lock the coordinates to the bomb. No point in creating a whole ton of new post if we are having an issue under the same system. It's called sharing an issue to see if someone else noticed this. So your comment is unwarranted when the OP the slew might be overriding with the slew my issue was there was no overriding it just would not accepting the the coordinate input to begin with. This was a simple yes or no question.

What you are asking its what we are speaking on the topic: TGP overwrite coordinates if you dont undesignate, so if you are selecting differents stations and TOO with the TGP on the same spot all bombs are going to where the TGP is looking cause as son as you select a TOO coords are overwrite.

You have to undesignate prior to launch, at least if you are going to launch multiple bombs