Introduction to Discord to DCS Server Command & Control (DDC2)

Hi everyone,

I have been working for the last few months on an interactive semi-automated method of managing servers through Discord. I have just done an initial release of the code on github and released an introduction video. I hope to be producing some instructional videos on how to install the system in the coming weeks as well as some documentation on Github.

DDC2 GitHub Download

Change Log

Release v1.172f

- Added VNC Remote Connection Support (note your VNC Server must use TCP connections for !access to detect connection correctly)

- Added VNC Server EXE Path check for Check-DDC2-PS function

- Modified Node-Red workflow to now support VNC Server connections

##Note##

A number of Server admins have requested the link between AutoStart and delay 1s has been removed and can be added when you implement the new version.

Release v1.163d

- DDC2.json

-- Updated Version #

- DDC2.ps1

-- Changed on line 38 to say UserNameGoesHere as to avoid script error on initial run

Release v1.163b

- Modified DDC2.ps1

-- Splitting out Report to multiple Functions

-- Added New-Firewall-RDPPort Function to assist in installation when changing RDP Ports from Default

-- Added Check-DDC2-PS Function to check variables that are set in DDC2.ps1 File

-- Fixed Bug where SRS Server Install does not generate an entry.lua, Version data collection now done via SRS Executable instead.

Release v1.163a

- Update DDC2.ps1

Release v1.162

- Update DDC2.ps1

- Added Check-DDC2-PS Function to check variables that are set in DDC2.ps1 File

Release v1.154

- Update DDC2.ps1

Release v1.01a

- Update DDC2.json

- Fixed Tacview showing incorrect Port on Report and info requests

Release v1.0

- Initial Release

- Create DDC2.ps1

Edited by OzDeaDMeaT

-System Specs are:

CPU: i9-9900K @ 4.9Ghz

M/B: Asus TUF z390 Gaming Plus

RAM: 32GB

Video Card: EVGA RTX 2080 Ti XC Hybrid Gaming (11G-P4-2384)

VR: Oculus Rift S

Controls: Warthog Stick & Throttle, TPR pedals, Streamdeck XL

Hey! Really interesting, I follow the github's project and will test it later. It can be a great addition to come with my discord dcs notification bot :)

If you want to work on some localization I can done it in French.

"Les pilotes du Fail" server administrator

Hey! Really interesting, I follow the github's project and will test it later. It can be a great addition to come with my discord dcs notification bot :)

If you want to work on some localization I can done it in French.

Yeah, happy to work on some localisation stuff. I will need to work out how to do that in Node-Red but yeah, love the idea.

-System Specs are:

Hi Oz this looks absolutely brilliant!

Will it work if our root server setup is multiple instances of DCS each running on a distinct windows user?

Is there any conflict with the webgui on dcs website? can they be used in parallel?

Do you have the ability to add the option to remotely kill and restart the dcs.exe for each instance running on a specific user?

Will we be able to make changes to config files? You mention LotATC and TacView ports and other variables... that would definitely be very helpful for servers that run multiple instances.

On our dedicated root server we are running on OS Windows Server 2019 and we can only have 2 users connected in parallel, if we want more we need to buy more licenses from microsoft. Does this require the windows user of the server to be in logged in or does it work while user is in disconnected state?

I'd love to add this to the DCS Israel Servers! Will drop into your discord and continue there.

Cheers!

IAF.ViFF

http://www.preflight.us

Israel's Combat Flight Sim Community Website

Hi Oz this looks absolutely brilliant!

Will it work if our root server setup is multiple instances of DCS each running on a distinct windows user?

Is there any conflict with the webgui on dcs website? can they be used in parallel?

Do you have the ability to add the option to remotely kill and restart the dcs.exe for each instance running on a specific user?

Will we be able to make changes to config files? You mention LotATC and TacView ports and other variables... that would definitely be very helpful for servers that run multiple instances.

On our dedicated root server we are running on OS Windows Server 2019 and we can only have 2 users connected in parallel, if we want more we need to buy more licenses from microsoft. Does this require the windows user of the server to be in logged in or does it work while user is in disconnected state?

I'd love to add this to the DCS Israel Servers! Will drop into your discord and continue there.

Cheers!

Hi ViFF,

The update capability requires console access (until DCS introduces a silent installer). That would be the only limiting factor for with regards running this against multiple users, but with this system you wouldn't need to have multiple users anymore. DDC2 would need root access and the ability to control the processes and you would need a seperate powershell script per instance pointing to the individual config and exe locations. A bit of code would need to change in the powershell script to pick the specific processes to stop for that instance of DCS. You can have multiple instances of DDC2 running at the same time.(different flows).

No conflict, works perfectly well.

Specific user not sure, killing other user processes is usually ok if you are the admin and they are a standard user. I am not sure with regards admin to admin process manipulation. The system could technically work against a system running multiple instances of DCS but it doesn't currently have that capability. (multiple instances shouldn't be a problem if i can distinguish between them, are the different installation paths?)

Great questions.

My turn, how do most people run multiple instances of DCS on a server? Single EXE with different process window names? Separate install locations?

-System Specs are:

That's nice !

I watched your video and hopped to your GitHub, but couldn't understand how to install ; maybe it's simply not ready yet ?

In the meantime, I'm training myself with node-red, which is a very powerful and well-designed tool.

Zip - VEAF :pilotfly:

If you want to learn, talk and fly with french-speaking friends, the Virtual European Air Force is here for you ! Meet us on our Discord and our forum

If you're a mission creator, you may want to check the VEAF Mission Creation Tools (and its GitHub repository) a set of open-source scripts and tools that make creating a dynamic mission a breeze !

• 2 weeks later...
That's nice !

I watched your video and hopped to your GitHub, but couldn't understand how to install ; maybe it's simply not ready yet ?

In the meantime, I'm training myself with node-red, which is a very powerful and well-designed tool.

Yep, next set of videos are due as soon as my replacement UPS comes in. The majority of my server infrastructure is offline until it arrives.

-System Specs are:

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Guys,

The DDC2 Installation Video Series is now available on Youtube.

-System Specs are:

I was able to get this working today, thanks OzDeaDMeaT !

Fantastic news Fizzxit. Was there anything I missed or could have described better in the Instructional Video Series?

-System Specs are:

• 4 weeks later...

Release v1.172f

- Added VNC Remote Connection Support (note your VNC Server must use TCP connections for !access to detect connection correctly)

- Added VNC Server EXE Path check for Check-DDC2-PS function

- Modified Node-Red workflow to now support VNC Server connections

##Note##

A number of Server admins have requested the link between AutoStart and delay 1s has been removed and can be added when you implement the new version.

-System Specs are:

• 3 months later...

Mate this is awesome, nice work. Just set it up for our server and it's great. Well done on the videos too a lot of hard work there! I assume for each instance I just have another flow and a ps2 file?

• 1 month later...

Hi mate,

Sorry for the late reply. Instances arent currently supported yet but they are on my list of stuff to work out. It is a ways down the list though.

-System Specs are: