AIM-54 Active Radar Bug

BreaKKer

Recently with the newest patch, I have seen some strange behavior on the AIM-54. This strange behavior happens at the "active radar" stage of the missile within the last 10 miles or so when homing on a target.

https://imgur.com/a/G695kYH

From my point of view watching these tacviews over and over, trying to figure out what is going on, it seems to me that the missile is just shutting it's radar off. Regardless of being notched or not, the missile seems to stop tracking. You can see the nose of the missile tracking in some cases after the notch of the target and stops tracking seconds later. The link I have provided shows 4 cases. All 4 tacviews are on multiplayer. Fired well within parameters.

With the help of some users on the Tomcat Alley discord, I was able to come up with some information that may be valuable.

Radar Mode: TWS and PDSTT. Should not matter since the missile is active.

Distance: Fired roughly around 33-15nm.

Launch parameters: For the player shots, we were at 32K barometric, Mach .9, hot aspect.

Jester or RIO: All player AIM-54 shots were done with a full crew.

AI or PVP: AI.

The reason that makes me think this is just a missile problem and not a parameter problem is the fact that an AI launched AIM-54 has had the same problem. Another user in the Tomcat Alley discord stated he saw the same problem on a tacview of his, but has not linked his tacview or video.

For this to be repeated from my perspective:

Single player or Multiplayer: Multiplayer

Crew: 2 Players

Radar mode: TWS AUTO or MAN

Missile Type: Charlies and Alphas track the same for now.

Speed: Mach .8 works just fine.

Altitude and range: Altitude can be from 25-34 and fox-3 shot can be around 25-40nm with a crank.

Bandit Type: Su-27 is what I have seen the most of.

Bandit Altitude: 25-34K feet.

If tacview is wanted, I will post it with timestamp, coordinates of missile, and who it was shot by.

DCS Version: 2.5.6.52196 Open Beta

No mods installed

Peripherals:

CPU: i5-7300HQ @2.50GHz

GPU: GeForce GTX 1050

Memory: 16GB RAM

Logitech X56 HOTAS

TrackIR 5

Razer Deathadder Chroma

Razer Kraken V2

Corsair K95 Platinum

Elgato Streamdeck

Discord: BreaKKer#9678

There is another user that has experienced the bug. If needed, I will get his user.

Edited by BreaKKer
Added Singleplayer or Multiplayer

BreaKKer

CAG and Commanding Officer of:

Carrier Air Wing Five //  VF-154 Black Knights

Thank you for the report. In the tacview snippet on imgur however it looks as if the missile is being notched and simply lost lock. Did you try on non maneuvering targets, or targets that notch lest dramatically maybe?

Thanks!

Heatblur Simulations

Please feel free to contact me anytime, either via PM here, on the forums, or via email through the contact form on our homepage.

http://www.heatblur.com/

https://www.facebook.com/heatblur/

Thank you for the report. In the tacview snippet on imgur however it looks as if the missile is being notched and simply lost lock. Did you try on non maneuvering targets, or targets that notch lest dramatically maybe?

Thanks!

We recently (latest OB patch) saw the same thing in a friendly scrim. At least twice the missile went stupid within a couple of miles from the target, no notch or nothing, bandit was in a very slight decent, still hot. The other instance was a cold target, missile had plenty of energy but a mile behind, tracking stops and missile goes to 1G amd misses.

I haven't saved the track unfortunately, so can't show you.

2075291193_EDSig.png.650cd56f2b9a043311112721c4215a47.png

64th Aggressor Squadron
Discord: 64th Aggressor Squadron
TS: 135.181.115.54

We recently (latest OB patch) saw the same thing in a friendly scrim. At least twice the missile went stupid within a couple of miles from the target, no notch or nothing, bandit was in a very slight decent, still hot. The other instance was a cold target, missile had plenty of energy but a mile behind, tracking stops and missile goes to 1G amd misses.

I haven't saved the track unfortunately, so can't show you.

Hey bud, yeah I know what you mean, I have seen this myself. This is however something guidance related we might not be able to influence. We're investigating into the issue.

It could be btw that at around such a point lock was lost, the always active bug seems to be gone by now, so that would be 1 possible explanation at least.

Heatblur Simulations

Please feel free to contact me anytime, either via PM here, on the forums, or via email through the contact form on our homepage.

http://www.heatblur.com/

https://www.facebook.com/heatblur/

Hey bud, yeah I know what you mean, I have seen this myself. This is however something guidance related we might not be able to influence. We're investigating into the issue.

It could be btw that at around such a point lock was lost, the always active bug seems to be gone by now, so that would be 1 possible explanation at least.

Yeah, I realize a lot is going on on the ED side as well. We're a bit unsure of the cause, as one can never really rule out MP desync as well. I only commented as someone else saw the same thing... :)

2075291193_EDSig.png.650cd56f2b9a043311112721c4215a47.png

64th Aggressor Squadron
Discord: 64th Aggressor Squadron
TS: 135.181.115.54

Thanks!

https://imgur.com/a/5sIv7U6

This is a somewhat non maneuvering target. The bandits that were targetted did maneuver to defend the missiles earlier in that specific sequence, but had no effect on the AIM-54s, and they kept tracking.

BreaKKer

CAG and Commanding Officer of:

Carrier Air Wing Five //  VF-154 Black Knights