MPCD

oldcrusty

The name of this toppic is really funny now,... should be renamed to "sooooo good only for someone".

It would be nice to have kinda chat with ED dev responsible for Hornets displays and try to solve together, why its so difficult to make all displays visible for everyone.

The rest of malfunctions are just ordinary bugs I hope.

Why you all are so happy, update before AMPCD was fine to read, first in DCS Hornet history. Now its back into sh..... unusable with map again. The black outlines of symbols are to thin... like micro thin, because of that symbols are blended with colors of the map.

I wonder why many of us like what other hate about symbols setting ED is trying to tune down and up every update. Wouldnt be smart to create special setting for Hornet symbols, so everybody can adjust symbols to his best?

This is why I se after last patch.... NOTHING

CjYqcQT.png

Yes, I agree with you. I thought the thread title is sarcastic lol.

Its way worse for me and my 2 little screen LCD's for MFD show very thin line. I'm not happy with it. Prefer the one before the update. I do like right and left mfd on the main screen.

Mastering others is strength. Mastering yourself is true power. - Lao Tze

Try to use the gain controls for the AMPCD.

Tune it down...

This way I am perfectly fine to read the screen also in VR

🖥️ R7-5800X3D 64GB RTX-4090 LG-38GN950  🥽   🕹️ VPForce Rhino FFB, Virpil F-14 (VFX) Grip, F-15EX Throttle, Winwing Orion (Skywalker) Pedals, Razer Tartarus V2 💺SpeedMaster Flight Seat, JetSeat

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VF-103.png

Try to use the gain controls for the AMPCD.

Tune it down...

This way I am perfectly fine to read the screen also in VR

This makes map little too dark. Bright green latters and symbols easyer to read, but not solving the problem with very thin black outlines.

Working AMPCD cockpit adjustment buttons without bugs and black outline thickness separate sliders option in Hornet special setup for MFD and AMPCD could solve our problems once for all.

The AMPCD si still a WIP but was still better a few updates back...

Now, to be more relevant in those observations, look at the 2 real AMPCD pictures here below.

It shows what's actually missing on our screen; all lettering and symbols that are on top of the map are indeed green but outlined with some black. That gives a contrast with the background moving map and makes things readable.

We are missing this and have only green text over greenish yellowing map that makes it super hard to read!

So the solution is

Get that black outline and thin the lettering.

On the DDI, after every update, I need to go update MFD .lua to correct the stroke size and fuzziness to thin it down. this Lua covers the MFD's and the hud but not the AMPCD.

Being able to tweak the AMPCD lettering as well could be a great plus too.

Pics for ref (they are not mine but found on the net)

military-aircraft-mcdonnell-douglas-fa-18c-544kts.jpg.4937fa326221af7c0d8da21f1f8f0e26.jpg

military-aircraft-mcdonnell-douglas-fa-18d-807kts.thumb.jpg.dfede41124dcf9e831e19a7c0f8bdc8b.jpg

Rig: MB Gigabite z390UD, CPU Intel I7 8700k, RAM 32G DDR4 3200 Gskill ripjaws, GPU MSI RTX2080SuperOC, HDD Crucial mx500 1tb M2 sata, PSU Corsair 850W, watercooling Corsair h100,

Controlers TM f/a 18 stick on Virpil warbrd base, TM cougar f16 stick on cougar base, Cougar F16 throttle on TUSBA, ch pedals, TM cougar MFD

27" monitor with trk IR 5 and HP Reverb HMD.

Modules F18, F16, F86, Mig15, FW 190D9, Nellis range map, Aggr campaign, Middle East map

Yes, I agree with you. I thought the thread title is sarcastic lol.

Its way worse for me and my 2 little screen LCD's for MFD show very thin line. I'm not happy with it. Prefer the one before the update. I do like right and left mfd on the main screen.

Ya, I'm not sure what the fuss is about, mine looks the same as yours, unreadable. I can turn down the gain to dull the map, but it still looks like crap, so I'm confused where this hype train is coming from. Nowhere near A-10 TAD readability.

I find the F-18 almost unusable due to the MFDs. If I zoom in just a bit, the clarity of fonts is pretty good, but at the default, it's really hard to read. Compared to the F-15 where I could literally drive from the back seat so to speak and still read everything, in the F-18, I'm constantly zooming or using snap views to goto the radar display or SA to make out what the hell is going on. It's not a fluid workflow by any means and takes away the enjoyment and immersion.

There are more F-18 MFD mods for readability than anything else... that should speak for itself. The ED team either has 50" displays or beyond human near-sightedness.

Attached pics: Instant action ->F-18-Free flight.

1. Default view

2. Slightly Zoomed

3. Gain turned down

Am I missing something here?

Edit: Actually the post inspired me to play around with some settings. Just tried "Game Mode" on my monitor and this "Samsung magic upscale" and I am blown away by the difference. It's mostly tweaking the "sharpness" value from what I've seen, no amount of manually playing with the settings gives me the same vividness. Either game mode with brightness turned down a bit (was giving me a tan), or magic upscale mode 2 adds a lot of clarity to buildings, structures... like my whole world before had a blur modified applied. It's amazing because this level of detail is not captured in screenshots which get pulled from the graphics buffer, so there's no wonder why in a single pic one person can say wow this looks great, and the next guy is like, wtf are you on about, it's $h!t. Side affect is, I can see why it's a separate mode because it makes web browsing etc horrible with the extra sharpless. My old Samsung had a hot key for game mode, but it's been switched out for "Eye Saver" in the latest model, which sucks.

After all that's said and done, new magic settings and all.. the MFDs still look like $h!t. Tried taking a pic of my screen with my phone but it just doesn't capture what I'm seeing.

f-18.thumb.png.7fa87a503d48ffe1b81f47f9d786fb68.png

f-182.thumb.png.6e0dc4edaa7511fdfb216741e793b4e7.png

f-18-3.thumb.png.9b0aab337da74f2d120eb3f1e0976e82.png

settings.jpg.d01462c4dc8334b0b80600ca0de02077.jpg

Edited by Vanguard
Added my settings

My little parade needs an umbrella

Knew I shouldn't have said anything..

:noexpression:

I'm not here for an argument, only to show what I was talking about when I made my initial post. In the past I've always had issues with reading the symbology on my AMPCD. Now I think it's brilliant. If you notice everything is legible & very clear. Yes there's more work to be done with this ie: brightness etc but I think it a big improvement & I'm very happy with it.

Peace out

581334891_AMPCD1.thumb.png.0e589d7c423ebc72f3368be73131fab5.png

1990313428_AMPCD2.thumb.png.32dec966bedc0a62a05de4633e097e58.png

Edited by GazAce
Add image

:: 13th Gen Intel Core i9-13900K :: Asus ROG Strix Z790-A mobo :: Asus Tuff Gaming GeForce RTX 3080 Ti :: NZXT Kraken Elite 280 RGB AIO white cooler :: G Skill Trident Z Royals DDR4 4x16GB = 64GB :: WD Black SN 850X NVMe SSD 2TB M.2 (C Drive) :: Samsung 860 Pro 2TB SATA (D Drive) :: Corsair Crystal 680X White Case :: Asus XG349C 34" Curve G-Sync 180Hz 3440x1440 Mon :: Corsair 850W PSU :: Virpil Constellation Alpha-R Stick with VPC WarBRD Base :: Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle :: 3 x CubeSim ext mini screens with TM Cougar MFD Bezels :: Asus ROG Pugio 503 Gaming Mouse & Razer BlackWidow mech kb :: TrackIR 5 Pro & Cap Clip :: Win 11 64 Bit 😉

Work in progress...

I stopped using the map some time ago.

From what I see today in my F18C, non-VR experience:

AMPCD:

GAIN works

DAY/NGT - does not do anything.

OFF/BRT knob is binary - either off or max ON.

SYM does not do anything.

CONT does not do anything.

I can see my symbology now but mostly due to the fact I selected NONE in F-18C SPECIAL tab (options) for MFD reflections setting.

Work in progress, beta software, I am enjoying it anyway.

Intel i7-13700KF :: ROG STRIX Z790-A GAMING WIFI D4 :: Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB ::  MSI RTX 4080  Gaming X Trio  :: VKB Gunfighter MK.III MCG Ultimate :: VPC MongoosT-50 CM3 :: non-VR :: single player :: open beta

The AMPCD si still a WIP but was still better a few updates back...

Now, to be more relevant in those observations, look at the 2 real AMPCD pictures here below.

It shows what's actually missing on our screen; all lettering and symbols that are on top of the map are indeed green but outlined with some black. That gives a contrast with the background moving map and makes things readable.

We are missing this and have only green text over greenish yellowing map that makes it super hard to read!

So the solution is

Get that black outline and thin the lettering.

On the DDI, after every update, I need to go update MFD .lua to correct the stroke size and fuzziness to thin it down. this Lua covers the MFD's and the hud but not the AMPCD.

Being able to tweak the AMPCD lettering as well could be a great plus too.

Pics for ref (they are not mine but found on the net)

Are you using a specific user mod for your MFD.lua or is your custom? Either way, can you provide what you use. Thanks

Hey Drac,

No mods but every update, I change this .lua file explained in that post.

Works for DDI and Hud, not the APMPCD tough...

BR

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=218251&highlight=Stroke

Rig: MB Gigabite z390UD, CPU Intel I7 8700k, RAM 32G DDR4 3200 Gskill ripjaws, GPU MSI RTX2080SuperOC, HDD Crucial mx500 1tb M2 sata, PSU Corsair 850W, watercooling Corsair h100,

Controlers TM f/a 18 stick on Virpil warbrd base, TM cougar f16 stick on cougar base, Cougar F16 throttle on TUSBA, ch pedals, TM cougar MFD

27" monitor with trk IR 5 and HP Reverb HMD.

Modules F18, F16, F86, Mig15, FW 190D9, Nellis range map, Aggr campaign, Middle East map

Why you all are so happy, update before AMPCD was fine to read, first in DCS Hornet history. Now its back into sh..... unusable with map again. The black outlines of symbols are to thin... like micro thin, because of that symbols are blended with colors of the map.

I wonder why many of us like what other hate about symbols setting ED is trying to tune down and up every update. Wouldnt be smart to create special setting for Hornet symbols, so everybody can adjust symbols to his best?

100 % agree! I'm just wondering why there are so many happy about the current state of the AMPCD...

The map in the AMPCD is totally useless again since 2.5.6.52196.

Under 2.5.6.50979 it was perfect IMO and the first time, that the map was really useable in the hornet without any tuning of the .LUA.

Pre-2.5.6.50979 it was at least possible to reduce the brightness, but that doesn't work in the current OB - as well as DAY/NIGHT mode.

GAIN works

DAY/NGT - does not do anything.

OFF/BRT knob is binary - either off or max ON.

SYM does not do anything.

CONT does not do anything.

Screenshot 1: default settings

Screenshot 2: GAIN decreased

20200717204124_1.thumb.jpg.571836275ebf101992b2c751567e3172.jpg

20200717204147_1.thumb.jpg.df127fcf3e78e6a1d46ddc25137ce5da.jpg

Edited by AstonMartinDBS

[Modules] A-10C, A-10C II, AH-64D, F-14A/B, F-16C, F/A-18C, FC3, Ka-50, P-51D, UH-1H, CA, SC
[Maps] PG, NTTR, Normandy, Sinai, Syria, TC

[OS] Windows 11 Pro
[PC] MSI Pro Z790-A, i9-13900K, 64 GB DDR5-5200, RTX 4090 24 GB GDDR6X, 2 x SSD 990 PRO 2 TB (M.2), Corsair 5000D Airflow, HX1500i, H150i RGB Elite, Acer X28, TM HOTAS Warthog (Grip@WarBRD Base), MS SW FFB2, Thrustmaster TFRP, TrackIR 5 & TrackClip Pro
[Checklists] A-10C, F-16C, F/A-18C, AH-64D, Ka-50, UH-1H

4 clicks down on MPCD gain does it for me. No need to zoom in to see the text. The map features... well, in 40nm range I have to zoom in unless flying over flat terrain. In 20nm, not too bad. That's in VR. When I play my vids on 2d screen I can't see s@#%;)

I made a short clip (same gain setting for night and day) To see anything in the vid the monitor brightness has to go up.

Edited by Gripes323

For me they're just plain unreadable. The exported ones are even more useless.

Here's two screens.

1) without toying around with gain and map enabled.

Screen_200717_213538.jpg

2) With gain used ..

Screen_200717_213614.jpg

On the right side your see the exported ones.. and no it's NOT the monitor ;)

AMPCD is useless.. (Pictures done on native resolution)

Anyone has a clue how to fix that? Would be really appreciated.

For me they're just plain unreadable. The exported ones are even more useless.

(...)

Anyone has a clue how to fix that? Would be really appreciated.

You kind of saying that ED hasn't got the clue how to fix it.

If anybody it is their teams that know how to fix it, it apparently takes a lot of time, otherwise it would have been done and dusted.

WIP rather, but still.

Intel i7-13700KF :: ROG STRIX Z790-A GAMING WIFI D4 :: Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB ::  MSI RTX 4080  Gaming X Trio  :: VKB Gunfighter MK.III MCG Ultimate :: VPC MongoosT-50 CM3 :: non-VR :: single player :: open beta

After some toying around with the init.lua files and modding on thickness/fuzziness... I realised the problem having problems to read even the word "Step" only occurs on the SA Page only.

Changing to any other page results in better readability.

So: Bug?

See here: Main screen (default values)

Screen_200718_092835.jpg

and here the SA page (default values)

Screen_200718_092843.jpg

note the fonts and the letters suddenly changing the colors..

and of course.. the exported displays are next to useless as they pitch dark..

Edited by Khegrow

You kind of saying that ED hasn't got the clue how to fix it.

If anybody it is their teams that know how to fix it, it apparently takes a lot of time, otherwise it would have been done and dusted.

WIP rather, but still.

No... not my intention.

I was rather looking for a work-around. The init.luas of the screens for instance allow some "modification" and "tuning" and that's what I was asking for.

In addition.. had no problems up to now (if we ignore that exported screens always had been darker on the Viper for instance.. and I reported this a long time ago). So all that happened now is that they applied this "darkening" to the Hornet too.

And YES I trust they know how to fix it, since..it worked before :)

100 % agree! I'm just wondering why there are so many happy about the current state of the AMPCD...

The map in the AMPCD is totally useless again since 2.5.6.52196.

Under 2.5.6.50979 it was perfect IMO and the first time, that the map was really useable in the hornet without any tuning of the .LUA.

Pre-2.5.6.50979 it was at least possible to reduce the brightness, but that doesn't work in the current OB - as well as DAY/NIGHT mode.

+1 here. happy to see, i am not the only one feeling that way! before last update, i found the AMPCD MAP more crisp and readable.

btw the readability of the CRT DDIs now is exaggerated in my opinion. as a matter of fact, CRTs tend to be hard to read, when the sun is low in real life...

and of course.. the exported displays are next to useless as they pitch dark..

For exported displays I use the ReShade application:

https://reshade.me/

You can set up a mask so the post-processing effects of reshade only affect certain areas. Using that I have MASSIVE brightness boost set to affect the monitor with the exported DDIs on (Gamma 7 from memory). That makes them readable again.

I export my screens and the ampcd has been fairly easy to use. After the update the moving map even on exported screens is useless, but the DDI’s in game look better.
Exactly this.

Mastering others is strength. Mastering yourself is true power. - Lao Tze

• 7 months later...
On 7/18/2020 at 12:06 PM, Scaley said:

For exported displays I use the ReShade application:

https://reshade.me/

You can set up a mask so the post-processing effects of reshade only affect certain areas. Using that I have MASSIVE brightness boost set to affect the monitor with the exported DDIs on (Gamma 7 from memory). That makes them readable again.

Hello, I followed your advice and downloaded ReShade but can you explain how you use it ? What FX library you use, how you set the mask ?

• Like 1

Hey mods,  I'm assuming this thread has been merged and... I ended up as a OP of a 'emotionally charged' title: 'AMPCD, OOOOH So GOOOD'  or something to that effect.

I don't think I'm capable of uplifting comments like that, lol.

... or, someone is screwing around here. 

Anyways, since my name ended up under this giggly title I changed it to more settled 'MPCD'