DCS World Apache

Devil 505

If anything, it wasnt the radar that changed its tactics, but the GPS. Otherwise, please enlighten us on how it radically changed its tactics.

possibility of exchanging information about enemy targets, if we are talking about a pair with radars, then search and designation from Kiowas is not used, instead of this, the organization of the strike by longbow forces

in addition, increased awareness of radar threats, and the ability to counter them in the event of using a longbow missile

in short, situational awareness and working with it in a group

however, you already know it

fairly obvious things

If anything, it wasnt the radar that changed its tactics, but the GPS. Otherwise, please enlighten us on how it radically changed its tactics.

the radar and datalinks ( UAS and TCDL) did quite alot to enhance tactics. But even without the radar, or even ignoring the datalinks what makes the AH64D more intuitive is the Glass cockpit and HOCAS setup.

That being said the AH64A's were indeed refitted with GPS in the late 90s ( technically EGI) , but nevertheless the longbows navigation suite is superior since as opposed to the Ah64A's A10 style CDU for navigation management, The longbow has something along the lines of A HSI/SA type pages you can access via multipurpose displays like you have Hornet although more advanced as it could utilize moving maps of various sorts ( chart, digital terrain , as well as 3D) at least if talking block 2.Block 1's had older hardware , and monochrome displays.

Edited by Kev2go

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

Case/Tower: Corsair Graphite 760tm ,Asus Strix Z790 Motherboard, Intel Core i7 12700k ,Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 64gb ram (3600 mhz) , (Asus strix oc edition) Nvidia RTX 3080 12gb , Evga g2 850 watt psu, Hardrives ; Samsung 970 EVo, , Samsung evo 860 pro 1 TB SSD, Samsung evo 850 pro 1TB SSD,  WD 1TB HDD

possibility of exchanging information about enemy targets, if we are talking about a pair with radars, then search and designation from Kiowas is not used, instead of this, the organization of the strike by longbow forces

in addition, increased awareness of radar threats, and the ability to counter them in the event of using a longbow missile

in short, situational awareness and working with it in a group

however, you already know it

fairly obvious things

I know nothing more than any other Apache enthusiast. What I know is that it didn't radically changed its tactics. It's an improvement in capability. After all, an attack helicopter crew operating in a contested battlespace don't cruise with emissions on. The glass cockpit obviously offers more in terms of systems integration and crew coordination, and the D systems upgrade offered quite an improvement to its defensive suit, but the main systems and their UID remained basically the same: TADS/PNVS, IHADSS, Hellfire.

Perhaps tactically the main obvious change, other than as I stated before about GPS navigating, was that it became a true hunter/killer platform without the need for KW to stick sensor above a tree canopy to spot its targets, it could do it better using only microwaves. But that's a far cry to a radical change in tactics. It's tactics are still the same, just grab some 90s cavalry field manuals and compare them yourself.

In the end, that's not the reason why I contest your post specifically. It could have been any other. The reason is that it feels that some people are so discontent with the fact that it might actually be the A that it makes me wonder if they actually know anything about it, or are just too young to be able to fight without glass cockpits. Even the Apache A is still to this day one of the most complex and lethal army platforms ever built. There is nothing wrong with it. As and end note, the only thing wrong is DCS radar simulation, spotting, AI and heightmap resolution so unless they fix them, what good would the longbow suit bring?

Edit: Personally, I'd obviously prefer to have the D, but I'd be more than happy, after more than 20 years, to have any model at all, so please people, don't spoil it.

Edited by stormridersp

Banned by cunts.

apache01.png

Flying vs. combat

at least both pilots have the same ability to fly and use systems

well, and besides, I think they will come up with some kind of bot that can pilot while you use weapons

How do you mean the same ability?

When I climbed into the cockpit there was a clear difference between gunner seat and pilot's seat.

Intel i7-13700KF :: ROG STRIX Z790-A GAMING WIFI D4 :: Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB ::  MSI RTX 4080  Gaming X Trio  :: VKB Gunfighter MK.III MCG Ultimate :: VPC MongoosT-50 CM3 :: non-VR :: single player :: open beta

How do you mean the same ability?

When I climbed into the cockpit there was a clear difference between gunner seat and pilot's seat.

They can both fly and shoot (gun and rockets at least) and slew the gun and cam around, even though their cockpits are different.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

Although it's possible to do the end thing (firing a weapon from either seat) most actions will require a certain amount of cooperation from both pilots to make it happen. That is, for the missiles, even if the back seater wants to fire them on his own, the front seater has to complete several tasks to make this possible. The rockets are slightly more forgiving, but without range data from the laser, the back seater's rocket steering cursor will default to 3km range and he's basically firing fixed rocket pods. The gun is probably the easiest to fire independently, but it was notoriously inaccurate when being fired off-boresight using the IHADSS. This will be fine in DCS, where things work as they are theoretically supposed to work, not how they worked in real life. I'm speaking specifically of gun-to-sighting system harmonization here. I am sure that in DCS, the weapon systems will always be perfectly harmonized so that the sensor line of sight will always perfectly match the weapon line of sight as directed by the fire control computer, just like it's supposed to.

Anyway what I'm getting at is that weapon engagements in the AH-64 are very much a two-person job, so it will be interesting to see how this is handled.

to be honest, the only thing that worries me about the longbow is the number of buttons, joysticks and controllers on its hotas

I have a rather old joystick, I don't have enough buttons for modifiers))

is there any duplication of functions on the gгnner handgrips?

Screenshot_30.png.c91c907654e8da7efe305f017212b956.png Screenshot_27.png.077b9743af1985b8f80183b05ebf7bfa.png

Screenshot_28.png.9532269be489a8af9719944b56666876.png Screenshot_26.png.41bfb1d4d711b991d5d277ff98eadc01.png

Edited by N8AHbl4

to be honest, the only thing that worries me about the longbow is the number of buttons, joysticks and controllers on its hotas

I have a rather old joystick, I don't have enough buttons for modifiers))

is there any duplication of functions on the gгnner handgrips?

You can assign modifier button within DCS. That works so great, that I flew the A-10C for two years with an Xbox gamepad. I had 4 buttons configured, so I could assign 4 functions to each of the remaining buttons. Doing that I was able to assign all the 4 way hats of the A-10C HOTAS to the D-pad and the ABXY-Buttons :D

Edited by QuiGon

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

You can assign modifier button within DCS. That works so great, that I flew the A-10C for two years with an Xbox gamepad. I had 4 buttons configured, so I could assign 4 functions to each of the remaining buttons. Doing that I was able to assign all the 4 hat switches of the A-10C HOTAS to the D-pad and the YXAB-Buttons :D

i know i mean i don't have enough modifier buttons

I have enough for hornet

i know i mean i don't have enough modifier buttons

I have enough for hornet

I don't understand what you mean by not having enough modifier buttons? You know you can assign any button as a modifier button, even keyboard or button-boxes buttons?

Banned by cunts.

apache01.png

I don't understand what you mean by not having enough modifier buttons? You know you can assign any button as a modifier button, even keyboard or button-boxes buttons?

i play with mouse + joystick

on the mouse 3 modifiers for all joystick buttons

and I think it won't be enough

apparently will have to change something

i play with mouse + joystick

on the mouse 3 modifiers for all joystick buttons

and I think it won't be enough

apparently will have to change something

I'm starting to think that Voice Attack will be your friend!

Cheers!

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk

I love choppers in DCS. They really have their place in the theater.

However, if ED starts to seriously jump in the chopper world, they really need to do something about the infantry. Choppers engage infantry a lot so do the math. They look so old and out of place ... even the basic walking animation is outdated.

As long as it works for you!

But why the mouse and not the keyboard?

the mouse is the most convenient type of view, apart from VR, besides without releasing my hands, I can switch to the clickable cockpit and back very quickly.

for example, on the hornet I have enough buttons for the hotas principle

by the way, not from a good life, but this is the best option if there is no hotas

the mouse is the most convenient type of view, apart from VR, besides without releasing my hands, I can switch to the clickable cockpit and back very quickly.

for example, on the hornet I have enough buttons for the hotas principle

No. Sorry dude, but there you are wrong. Cheap TrackIR clones works very well.

35 pounds or so for a full set at Delan Engineering.

You look with your head, and your cockpit is clickable all the time.

But I'm happy that your happy!

Cheers!

yes

probably need a new mouse with 4+ side buttons)

in fact it is not so inconvenient

:megalol:

Skip the mouse upgrade and get a HOTAS! The Apache is really a complex system and I don't see how you'd be able to do without. Even Longbow 2 back in the 90s, without a Hotas you'd be handicapped badly.

Banned by cunts.

apache01.png

No. Sorry dude, but there you are wrong. Cheap TrackIR clones works very well.

35 pounds or so for a full set at Delan Engineering.

You look with your head, and your cockpit is clickable all the time.

But I'm happy that your happy!

Cheers!

Yeah I have trackhat (free) with an old PS3 camera (like 12$ new) and it works perfectly well with no glitches whatsoever.

• 1 month later...