Lock On Problems. Help, please!

Hi everyone,

I bought Lock On awhile ago, actually, when I owned an old-ish laptop. When I tried running the game, the landscape looked wonderful, but the aircraft all looked like silhouettes. I assumed this to be a result of a video card problem, and I waited until I got a new computer.

I got a new one, which was much more powerful and had a good graphics card. However, I had the same problem, and on top of it, the game was really unstable.

Is this a problem with my computer, or is it a problem with the Lock On disk? If I were to get a new copy of the game, would it run properly?

This has bothered me for a few months, please help! :helpsmilie:

Hmmm please tell about your PC configuration, hardware, software of graphic cards drivers and game version. For now I can say that basic Lock on (I mean 1.02) is rather poor version and you can get various strange things, example crashes, graphic problems. Lock on Flaming Cliffs is much better and stable than 1.02, so I advice to get FC version if you have 1.02 now.

Reminder: Fighter pilots make movies. Bomber pilots make... HISTORY! :D | Also to be remembered: FRENCH TANKS HAVE ONE GEAR FORWARD AND FIVE BACKWARD :D

ಠ_ಠ

Thanks for the welcome. :) I'll have to wait a day or so before I post my PC's exact specs (it's at home and I'm at college right now). But I can give you a ballpark estimate on my computer's capabilities.

It's a Dell that I got in late 2005. I haven't checked it's specs in awhile but I'm 99% sure that I have it has over 1 GHz and possibly 2, and I have between 1 and 2 GB RAM. (I'm sorry if this sounds messy and like I don't know anything about computers, but I really don't. I'll be able to give you guys much better info when I'm on the computer tomorrow.

As for the graphics card, I had an ATI Radeon card, either 9600 or 9800. I'd have to check that tomorrow too, but that's to give you a ballpark idea of the type of thing I had.

Based on that (sketchy, i apologize) information, do you know if it's my computer or the game?

Lock on Flaming Cliffs is much better and stable than 1.02, so I advice to get FC version if you have 1.02 now.

How do you get this? Is it an expansion sold in stores, or is it a mod?

The 9600/ 9800 video cards are among the very minimum that you would want to even attempt LOck ON with. I started with a 9800 and it would run it- but you have to turn most graphical options down or off. You'll also need to update the drivers for it. Start with adjusting the options down.

If your CPU is less than 2.4 ghz- that's really bad- and you'll have to account for that too. However- the silhouettes you describe sound video related to me.

The 9600/ 9800 video cards are among the very minimum that you would want to even attempt LOck ON with. I started with a 9800 and it would run it- but you have to turn most graphical options down or off.

Huh, well, Il-2 Sturmovik and all of its expansions ran fine on even the old laptop, and that games like Medieval Total War II run well on my new computer. Is it simply that Lock On has much bigger requirements than any of these?

EDIT:

Here's a question for those of you guys who are technically skilled. Have a look at this computer:

http://cgi.ebay.com/XPS-600-P4-630-160GB-Geforce-6800-7-1-ch-Dell_W0QQitemZ110229099425QQihZ001QQcategoryZ140070QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Would Lock On run on a computer with specs like that?

Huh, well, Il-2 Sturmovik and all of its expansions ran fine on even the old laptop, and that games like Medieval Total War II run well on my new computer. Is it simply that Lock On has much bigger requirements than any of these?

Yup

EDIT:

Here's a question for those of you guys who are technically skilled. Have a look at this computer:

http://cgi.ebay.com/XPS-600-P4-630-160GB-Geforce-6800-7-1-ch-Dell_W0QQitemZ110229099425QQihZ001QQcategoryZ140070QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Would Lock On run on a computer with specs like that?

Meh... 2.8 is better- but what's a Pentium "D" ? Sounds like a crappy budget chip to me. Might not be all that great.

Someone else will have to speak for that Nvidia 6800 card- if it's the one I remember that competed with my second card- the RAdeon X800XT (PE) that's a good card- make sure the power supply is up to running it.

What's "Media Center"? Another slick way of selling a decontented OS? I'd be leery of that.

LockOn will run on it for sure but P4 D 2.8GHz is not that great and it won't make you run very high graphics settins. You might think graphics settings should have nothing to do with CPU, and it's true to some extent... where CPU does come very importand for graphics settings is amount of objects (in cities foremost) and that's still graphics settings also.

If you can get latest Intel Core 2 CPU, dual core will do nicely, something of 3GHz speed and bit of overclocking and you're good.

No longer active in DCS...

Can't help you with pricing as it's different from country to country and I don't know what you define as decent price :) but what you can do is simply look up few online PC shops and search for CPU's then motherboards that suport them (prices vary quite a bit) followed by matching ram.

No longer active in DCS...