More realistic IFLOLS popup please...

Callsign JoNay

I don't know who's decision it was to design the IFLOLS popup as analog, but please consider making the popup to resemble the actual IFLOLS with lights/lenses that are either illuminated or not illuminated. This analog format is too arcade.

If anyone knows of a good IFLOLS mod, please link me.

I don't know who's decision it was to design the IFLOLS popup as analog, but please consider making the popup to resemble the actual IFLOLS with lights/lenses that are either illuminated or not illuminated. This analog format is too arcade.

Or just post it in this thread. :thumbup:

The analog format of the indicator is actually how the IFLOLS works.

81vWYl.gif

The beam of light of light emitted from the display is very narrow close in. It diffuses wider the further away from it you are. At around 500 feet the light appears to fill a single lens. Once you get 20 feet from light source, the line is about an inch high.

P-12110021im.jpg

What’s really wild is that there is no centered lens. There are 12 lenses, hence no middle lense. The datum light are between the 6 and 7 lens. So when you’re looking at on glide slope, you’re seeing light from both the 6 and the 7 lens at the same time.

https://www.airspacemag.com/how-things-work/the-meatball-8421491/

@Curly, that's all fine and interesting but the DCS FLOLS popup disappears as you cross over the round down anyway, which is pretty far away from the lenses. Much farther than 20 feet.

The range at which it's actually usable (entering the groove to the round down) we should be seeing single lenses illuminate, no?

@Curly, that's all fine and interesting but the DCS FLOLS popup disappears as you cross over the round down anyway, which is pretty far away from the lenses. Much farther than 20 feet.

The range at which it's actually usable (entering the groove to the round down) we should be seeing single lenses illuminate, no?

The IFLOLS is about 500 feet from the ramp. So Aft of the ramp the light appears larger than the size of lenses on the IFLOLS.

At the ramp the meatball would appear about the size of lens on the IFLOLS. In real life it would move in same analog fashion as the gauge. The ball would appear between the lenses on the IFLOLS as you moved up down the glide path. When you are on glideslope at the ramp you are looking at light from the top and bottom of the 6’th and 7’th lens at the same time.

500px-IFLOS_Lighting.svg.png

Let’s do a little thought experiment to illustrate the point. Let’s say the 6 and 7’th light on the IFOLS are different colors, Red and Green. What color is the on ball glideslope beam at the ramp? It’s yellow. Because Red + Green = Yellow.

attachment.php?attachmentid=242759&stc=1&d=1595026196

IFLOLSExample.png.78301126fffa8544c0549a4e2db170f2.png

Edited by Curly

OR - and I'm just spitballing here - we could just have an IFLOLS system ON THE BOAT that is visible and usable all the way out to the start, like it actually works (and other sims have had for years). ;)

I concur my friend!

DO it or Don't, but don't cry about it. Real men don't cry!

OR - and I'm just spitballing here - we could just have an IFLOLS system ON THE BOAT that is visible and usable all the way out to the start, like it actually works (and other sims have had for years). ;)

You mean like the one it's had since day 1 of early access? :thumbup:

You mean like the one it's had since day 1 of early access? :thumbup:

If you can resolve that glowing blur into meaningful information at .7dme, you've got much better eyes than me. I can't differentiate the ball from the datums until somewhere between IM - IC, and that seems to be a common experience, from other remarks. I mean, there would be no need for a popup otherwise, right?

• 3 months later...

I did a CASE III this morning in SP. I'm changing my stance on the IFLOLS overlay. It's useful, especially at distances that you would normally see it, but it's too bright, too large and certainly distracting.

But...

Like everyone else, I would love to be able to move it, resize it, and/or toggle it ON/OFF with a button or have it automatically disappear after "BALL" call. Some options that may be useful after discussing it with friends:

1) Put it on the other side so that it isn't creating a blind spot to the boat or actual IFLOLS.

2) Have this "enlarged" IFLOLS overlay on the boat's IFLOLS itself and scale it down as you get closer.

3) Create an HMCS-like [emphasis added] functionality similar to the A-10C II HMCS where the SPI and other markers are only visible when looking in their direction. But, instead of SADL or Sensor symbology, have an IFLOLS overlayed on the IFLOLS. And...

4) Yes, yes... make the original easier to see for everyone's machine, setup and optional settings.

i7-8700K / 64GB RAM / ASUS Strix GTX 1080 Ti / (Win 10 Pro) / Oculus Rift S

Funny, someone asking for a little less arcade looking “pop up” and answered by a bunch of desktop pilots explaining how the real one works which wile I understand makes you feel like you are participating , has no bearing on the original posters request.

I think it looks cheesy as well and would like to see a better representation if at all possible.

Edited by Mr. Big.”Biggs”

I9 (5Ghz turbo)2080ti 64Gb 3200 ram. 3 drives. A sata 2tb storage and 2 M.2 drives. 1 is 1tb, 1 is 500gb.

Valve Index, Virpil t50 cm2 stick, t50 base and v3 throttle w mini stick. MFG crosswind pedals.