TOO1 vs TOO2 confusion

Notso

Hey guys, sorry for what is likely a stupid question. I've read Chuck's guide and watched Wag's videos but I'm still struggling to understand what TOO1 and TOO2 do.

Is TOO 1 and TOO 2 for inputting coordinates into different bombs on the same pylon - as in 2x GBU-38 on STA 3 where the inner bomb will have one set of tgt coords and the outer Sta 3 GBU-38 will have a different tgt coords?

Or is it to give an individual weapon a primary set of TGT coords and a secondary set of coords so I can choose one or the other depending on the situation?

TIA

System HW: i9-9900K @5ghz, MSI 11GB RTX-2080-Ti Trio, G-Skill 32GB RAM, Reverb HMD, Steam VR, TM Warthog Hotas Stick & Throttle, TM F/A-18 Stick grip add-on, TM TFRP pedals. SW: 2.5.6 OB

I believe it is so that you can have a couple of sets of terminal parameters for each pylon. The BRU-55 "should" be accompanied by an update to the stores system to allow having L and R for each pylon, but we don't have that yet. AFAIK

476th Discord   |    476th Website    |    Swift Youtube
Ryzen 5800x, RTX 4070ti, 64GB, Quest 2

you need to think of the TOO, as profiles with gps coordinates. these profiles can be used for either bomb on that pylon. example Pylon 8 has TOO1-coordA and TOO2-CoordB. I can drop the first bomb using TOO1 it will hit coord A, when I drop bomb2 and use TOO1 then bomb will hit coordA. if I use TOO2 on bomb 2 then it will hit coordB. I can use either one for either bomb, the confusion really comes when talking about separate pylons because each pylon has it's own TOO1 and TOO2 and they do not share info. so if pylon 8 TOO1-coodA , Pylon 7 TOO1-CoordC bombs will fall on respective coords.

hope this helps

Falcon

MSI Creator X299 - INTEL i9 - 10900X 3.7 GHZ - 32 GB Corsair Dominator DDR4 - EVGA GTX 1080 FTW AC2

you need to think of the TOO, as profiles with gps coordinates. these profiles can be used for either bomb on that pylon. example Pylon 8 has TOO1-coordA and TOO2-CoordB. I can drop the first bomb using TOO1 it will hit coord A, when I drop bomb2 and use TOO1 then bomb will hit coordA. if I use TOO2 on bomb 2 then it will hit coordB. I can use either one for either bomb, the confusion really comes when talking about separate pylons because each pylon has it's own TOO1 and TOO2 and they do not share info. so if pylon 8 TOO1-coodA , Pylon 7 TOO1-CoordC bombs will fall on respective coords.

hope this helps

Falcon

AAAAHHHH, that actually makes sense now. So the Pylon itself is storing the coords and not the bombs. The bomb then takes the coordinate of whichever the pylon is set to - TOO1 or 2 - at pickle.

If that is correct, I think I finally grok this.

System HW: i9-9900K @5ghz, MSI 11GB RTX-2080-Ti Trio, G-Skill 32GB RAM, Reverb HMD, Steam VR, TM Warthog Hotas Stick & Throttle, TM F/A-18 Stick grip add-on, TM TFRP pedals. SW: 2.5.6 OB

AAAAHHHH, that actually makes sense now. So the Pylon itself is storing the coords and not the bombs. The bomb then takes the coordinate of whichever the pylon is set to - TOO1 or 2 - at pickle.

No, the pylon stores nothing. But the SMS can only address pylons, not individual weapons on the pylon(+BRU-55).

So you tell both bombs that TOO1 is coord-x and both bombs that TOO2 is coord-y. Then you drop the first bomb on that pylon using TOO1 and the second bomb using TOO2.

It is all a bit weired and very unintuitive and that makes me believe that this behaviour is actually not 100% like in RL. Either we need a different software version of the SMS that can address individual bombs on a BRU-55 - like Swiftwin said - or we perhaps should not be using the BRU-55 as it is not completely compatible with our current SMS software version ...

In essence, you get it. Currently, TOO and PP coordinates are station-specific, not bomb specific. You need to manually switch to the other coordinate set for the second bomb.

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VFA-34.png

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-
i9-13900K, 64GB @6400MHz RAM, 4090 Strix OC, Samsung 990 Pro

No, the pylon stores nothing. But the SMS can only address pylons, not individual weapons on the pylon(+BRU-55).

So you tell both bombs that TOO1 is coord-x and both bombs that TOO2 is coord-y. Then you drop the first bomb on that pylon using TOO1 and the second bomb using TOO2.

It is all a bit weired and very unintuitive and that makes me believe that this behaviour is actually not 100% like in RL. Either we need a different software version of the SMS that can address individual bombs on a BRU-55 - like Swiftwin said - or we perhaps should not be using the BRU-55 as it is not completely compatible with our current SMS software version ...

THIS is an excellent explanation and I thank you sir!

SO along this topic. I set a mission with 4 tgts, spaced so I could see them all in the tgp fov. In too mode I programed each bru-55 with too1 and too2 coord's. When all was in range, I launched one after the other so all four were in the air. The first three missed and the last went right where it should.

Did I simply miss undesignating after the 4th bomb was set? Going to try now... anybody else's results/method would be nice to hear of.

Tremclad.

TOO1 and TOO2 is opportunity to appoint different some parameters drop and behavior of bomb for the TOO mode as "burst height, terminal angle, velocity and heading...."

Coordinates of target - identical

Окурок, выброшенный в урну, гораздо патриотичнее флажочка на автомобиле

TM Wartrhog Stick + VPC MongoosT-50Base + VPC TMW Extension 150mm / TM Wartrhog Throttle / CH Pro Pedals / 2-VPC Deck Mount / TrackIR5/

i5-10600K Over to 5.0MHz/32GbDD4-3200/RTX4070/System-SSD1 DCS-SSD2/32" 2560x1440

i have a feeling most people, myself included, are setting the targets correctly, with the step and move to too2 then undesignating at end without going back to a previously designated bomb... BUT when dropping not selecting too2. I just realized this while reading the post. I'm assuming what's happening is we're dropping all the bombs on TOO1 targets so they are duplicating instead of dropping first set on TOO1 and then selecting TOO2 for the second set. Correctly if i'm wrong because I've still not got this locked down to working. The other issue (and may be correct or to be corrected by ED if it's a bug) but JDAM's are not super accurate at the moment. This may be more in tune with true to life stats of JDAM's hence they almost always use LGB now.

The JDAM's selected MSN does not automatically change to another set of coordinates (PP or TOO) after weapon release, so manual switching is required.

Thanks @Tholozor for confirming my hunch, I'm looking forward to this working properly!