DCS: Syria Map - Golan Strike

NineLine

• ED Team

Welcome to this first official gameplay video of the upcoming Syria map for DCS World. Please find more information about this map here:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=278048

Over the next several weeks, we plan a series of videos that show off different locations and aspects of this map in the context of various mission types using various aircraft types and airfields. In this first video, ride along with me in an F-16C as we hit ground targets in the Golan Heights between Israel and Syria.

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

Very good video that looks quite convincing for northern Israel! :thumbup: :thumbup:

Excelent detail in the airbase and towns in the area too :)

I couldn't help notice that the height over the Sea of Galilee is ~370 ft /radar alt 340 ft (at 6:22)

while it should be a negative value as it is below sea level

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sea_of_Galilee

Surface elevation −214.66 m (-704.3 ft) (varying).

Is it a limitation of the engine?

If so, is there sort of a "compensation"/scaling mechanizm to keep the altitude proportions of the nearby areas

i.e. increasing the Golan heights altitude by ~700 ft?...

It is very obvious (for me at least) that the Golan heights is depicted as too low next to the Sea of Galilee.

Thank you for the great work!!!

Ron

Callsign   SETUP

Very good video that looks quite convincing for northern Israel! :thumbup: :thumbup:

I couldn't help notice that the height over the Sea of Galilee is ~370 ft /radar alt 340 ft (at 6:22)

If so, is there sort of a "compensation"/scaling mechanizm to keep the altitude proportions of the nearby areas

It is very obvious (for me at least) that the Golan heights is depicted as too low next to the Sea of Galilee.

Ron

Wags probably just hasn't dialed in the correct barometric pressure on his altitude indicator.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

Looks nice, perfect map for helicopters also (like Kiowa :D).

I hope it will work very well in VR too.

Webmaster of http://www.yoyosims.pl

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

Win 10 64, i9-13900 KF, RTX  4090 24Gb OC, RAM 64Gb Corsair Vengeance LED OC@3600MHz,, 3xSSD+3xSSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5, [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor2, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

Wags probably just hasn't dialed in the correct barometric pressure on his altitude indicator.

Wags is a professional....I don't belive he'll miss it ;)

and the altitude at the base seems about right,

so....

Callsign   SETUP

Can't wait to see more.

Like the others I hope that this card will be well optimized, that we can have good performance with several AI units.

It looks promising at the moment.

Merci Ugra media and ED

Just why - „couple of weeks”? So September I suppose, maybe end of August?

Cant wait too :).

Webmaster of http://www.yoyosims.pl

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

Win 10 64, i9-13900 KF, RTX  4090 24Gb OC, RAM 64Gb Corsair Vengeance LED OC@3600MHz,, 3xSSD+3xSSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5, [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor2, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

Ron

Confirm that! when flying low over the Sea of Galilee / Kinneret a correctly set barometric altitude gauge should show a readout of a negative value as the majority of the Jezrael Valley basin area is below sea level as Ron stated.

The radar altitude readout is unrelated, it will never show a negative value.

Thanks for posting the video, loved every second of it.

Cheers!

IAF.ViFF

http://www.preflight.us

Israel's Combat Flight Sim Community Website

At first I thought its because of the current bug in the F-16 that has incorrect barometric readout on the altitude gauge, but if you look closely you can see during the beginning of the video when Matt is showing the map in the mission editor that the altitude readout on the lower left never goes below +10 feet (or is it +10 meters?)...

Hope this will be addressed before released.

Cheers!

Edited by ViFF

IAF.ViFF

http://www.preflight.us

Israel's Combat Flight Sim Community Website

Beautiful, my dream would be that once it is with us it is updated with Cyprus to the west and Al-Azraq to the south that would be great. Although my deepest dream would be that I came across the Sinai.

Hopefully in the future Ugra decides to add Cyprus, without any details, just coast lines and high altitude textures, with the exception of Akrotiri peninsula and RAF Akrotiri (the main reason why Cyprus should be on this map)

Intel i7 12700k / Corsair H150i Elite Capellix / Asus TUF Z690 Wifi D4 / Corsair Dominator 32GB 3200Mhz / Corsair HW1000W / 1x Samsung SSD 970 Evo Plus 500Gb + 1 Corsair MP600 1TB / ASUS ROG Strix RTX 3080 OC V2 / Fractal Design Meshify 2 / HOTAS Warthog / TFRP Rudder / TrackIR 5 / Dell U2515h 25" Monitor 1440p

Very nice map with landscape rich in details. The only discordant note is the F-16 which is not the Israeli one. It would be very nice if the Israeli F-16 C model was made available along with the map.

By that, you mean a stock version of block 30 or 40, which wouldn't do it justice. You will need to have access to the avionics systems added / modified by the IAF, and the specific weapons used - good luck.

Additionally, it uses fewer weapons and sensors than the version ED made (single seats rarely use the TGP, and also no HTS), so arguably it will be less fun, will cost ED more, and will sell less.

By that, you mean a stock version of block 30 or 40, which wouldn't do it justice. You will need to have access to the avionics systems added / modified by the IAF, and the specific weapons used - good luck.

Additionally, it uses fewer weapons and sensors than the version ED made (single seats rarely use the TGP, and also no HTS), so arguably it will be less fun, will cost ED more, and will sell less.

Indeed, in DCS you have to be satisfied with "close enough". Already to have a bit of your country and some of its fighters is not bad, even if the version is not correct. Same goes for PG for example, many countries on that map do not have their correct fighters in DCS, either wrong version or not at all! Let's enjoy what we have, and in this case it seems to be a beautifully made map that we will be able to enjoy in helos and fighters alike.

I'm also loving the smooth framerate in the video despite what seems like very high settings, means there is hope for me in VR still... :thumbup:

AMD R7 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 3200MHz | RTX 4080S 16GB | Varjo Aero | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk3 + STECS + pedals

Hopefully in the future Ugra decides to add Cyprus, without any details, just coast lines and high altitude textures, with the exception of Akrotiri peninsula and RAF Akrotiri (the main reason why Cyprus should be on this map)

+1

Let's hope for the best.

I agree, if it were a single module for which a certain fidelity is required compared to the original. I meant rather a version of the existing DCS Viper module. The Israeli F-16 C block 40 (Barak) is most similar to the F-16 C block 50 simulated in DCS World. Aesthetically the major work would be the dielectrics and the tail. As for avionics, neglecting systems still covered by secrecy (like the ECMs - moreover, not even simulated on the DCS Viper), it could simply be reduced where necessary and implemented where possible. For example, the Barak does not mount any type of AMRAAM, while it mounts the Python 4 missile which could be a new addition to DCS World. Still, Barak were originally fitted with the Sharpshooter pod, which is a downgraded version of the LANTIRN targeting pod. The Sharpshooter pod were later replaced by the Rafael Litening pod, which is precisely the one simulated for the DCS Viper (with limitations). The Barak is equipped with HMD (called DASH). JHMCS symbology can be used. The Syrian scenario could also be animated by Turkish F-16s. Their shape is similar to that of the Baraks. So, there would be an additional version of the DCS Viper. In short, why not?

Looks good. I just hope it performs well.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

Who else was blown away by the detailed crops? fsgrin.png

Ron

I think it might be a limitation of the engine that doesn't allow water or even land below MSL. Too bad they apparently didn't think of it when writing 2.x. If it's somehow possible to fix that, it would be great though. I mean other maps have differently high water surfaces as well, if you think of the reservoirs in NTTR, Caucasus and Iran. Maybe it just needs a trick to set the Lake Genezareth down to MSL and the Mediterran 214m above that and then do something to recalibrate the altimeters and atmosphere varaibles by that exact difference. Just a thought. Of course it would be best if the engine simply could do negative altitude landscape. I guess my fellow neighbours in the Netherlands would be happy about that as well maybe in the future.

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg

Awesome looking map. As far as I remember they'll add Cyprus later if the sales are strong. So, go out and buy it! That's actually a really good sales strategy, lol.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Intel Core I7 4820K @4.3 GHz, Asus P9X79 motherboard, 16 GB RAM @ 933 MHz, NVidia GTX 1070 with 8 GB VRAM, Windows 10 Pro