how to make bigger the high defined terrain around.

I was trying to expand the defined terrain arround me touching Land Day values in Config/Graphics but all i can obtain is more defined terrain but the same Pop Up effect very near again and again.

The effect i want to avoid is the sudden redefinition to high level of the terrain in front of me and at both sides only when i am very near to the border ( below me is defined and several houndred meters away are at low definition.

Could someone explain me how to obtain more defined terrain in front and in the sides more far away?

This is more dramatic when i am flying in high terrain with mountains and deep valleys.

Thanks a lot.

• Like 1

" You must think in russian.."

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Windows 7 Home Premium-Intel 2500K OC 4.6-SSD Samsung EVO 860- MSI GTX 1080 - 16G RAM - 1920x1080 27´

Hotas Rhino X-55-MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals -Track IR 4

I was trying to expand the defined terrain arround me touching Land Day values in Config/Graphics but all i can obtain is more defined terrain but the same Pop Up effect very near again and again.

The effect i want to avoid is the sudden redefinition to high level of the terrain in front of me and at both sides only when i am very near to the border ( below me is defined and several houndred meters away are at low definition.

Could someone explain me how to obtain more defined terrain in front and in the sides more far away?

This is more dramatic when i am flying in high terrain with mountains and deep valleys.

Thanks a lot.

Hey, you could try editing these settings (marked yellow) in your graphics.cfg file:

current = "Medium";

Low

{

near_clip = 4;

middle_clip = 4;

far_clip = 200000;

structures = {30, 2000};

trees = {60000, 3000};

dynamic = {300, 20000};

objects = {3000, 40000};

mirage = {3000, 10000};

surface = {20000, 200000};

lights = {50, 10000};

lod = 0.7;

Medium

{

near_clip = 0.2;

middle_clip = 4.;

far_clip = 200000;

structures = {40, 5000};

trees = {100000, 8000};

dynamic = {300, 20000};

objects = {3000, 50000};

mirage = {3000, 15000};

lights = {100, 30000};

lod = 1.;

High

{

near_clip = 0.2;

middle_clip = 4;

far_clip = 200000;

structures = {200, 10000};

trees = {200000, 20000};

dynamic = {300, 20000};

objects = {5000, 80000};

mirage = {5000, 20000};

lights = {200, 80000};

lod = 1.5;

• Like 2

I will try right now your answers... let´s see what´s happen.

Thanks for your brief reply.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Windows 7 Home Premium-Intel 2500K OC 4.6-SSD Samsung EVO 860- MSI GTX 1080 - 16G RAM - 1920x1080 27´

It´s very extrange.

The key factor in this is the presence or absence of overcast.

When you design a mission with clean skies or several clouds the transition between low and high defined terrain is very soft, gradually and nice to look at. Also your graphic tweak works perfect and i can see the distance diference clear. No matter the season you preffer.

But when you include overcast, in any season, the distance when the terrain became defined is very short again, and any lod or configuration modification cant change anything. The same sudden transition at very near. It is very ugly to see only several hundred meters around you defined and the rest only a blurry image.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

It´s very extrange.

The key factor in this is the presence or absence of overcast.

When you design a mission with clean skies or several clouds the transition between low and high defined terrain is very soft, gradually and nice to look at. Also your graphic tweak works perfect and i can see the distance diference clear. No matter the season you preffer.

But when you include overcast, in any season, the distance when the terrain became defined is very short again, and any lod or configuration modification cant change anything. The same sudden transition at very near. It is very ugly to see only several hundred meters around you defined and the rest only a blurry image.

Hi again, try these settings:

LandLodDistances

{

LandDay

{

L01 = 30000;

L12 = 50000;

}

LandNight

{

L01 = 30000;

L12 = 50000;

it appears that when its overcast, the game engine uses the "Landnight" values, which by default are pretty low and result in your texture blurryness, using the above settings should fix it for you :)

Yes...with this Land Night settings all works perfect but in my opinion the FPS impact is a little bit higher.

Making test i preffer 20000/40000, the effect is very similar in mountain terrain and the FPS loss is smaller.

Thanks a lot for your kind support mates ¡¡

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Yes...with this Land Night settings all works perfect but in my opinion the FPS impact is a little bit higher.

Making test i preffer 20000/40000, the effect is very similar in mountain terrain and the FPS loss is smaller.

Thanks a lot for your kind support mates ¡¡

Yeah, FPS drops are expected with my settings, thats the penalty for great graphics :thumbup: great to see you've got what you needed though :D

• Like 2

One more thing!

Are U using Simple or advanced haze?!!

I remember I had this strange terrain transition back on PIII with simple haze setting. (I can't remember is it called simple or basic haze anymore). I'm with my laptop ATM and I have no LOFC installed here so can't check it out!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I always use Haze in Advance mode.

And i think my Conroe 6750, 2 G Ram 800 Mhz, and my Nvidia 8800 GT could manage FC with this high settings, ( and my Samsung 22´´ and 1650x1050 and 16x - 16x XDDDDDDD ) What a wonderfull world ¡¡¡¡¡¡¡.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Esac I'm glad You're having fun with maxed graphic settings.

I'm stuck with my PIV-2.8Ghz, 1GB of DDR400 and AtiX800 and 1024*768.

Looking for smooth FPS I keep my setting in mid ranges with no AA and AF at all.

I wonder what kinda computer does one need to have to run LOFC maxed in a 1900 resolution with FPS not dropping below 25?!

BRD and Mustang, You guys should grab a beer in some local pub for some old fashioned socializing!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I never managed to discover what part of the hardware is most important for FC. Is it CPU, GPU or RAM.

But now that You've said you run FC on a nVidia 8800 GT I remember reading somewhere that this particular series had problems with drivers, especially models with passive cooling.

So Esac, try different drivers, look for older (original) drivers or ones that came on a CD with your Graphic card. Newer drivers may pork older games. It happened here.

I used to update my Cats on a monthly basis but I saw no improvement whatsoever, especially since I use almost no AA and AF in my games/applications.

IMHO I found Cats that came on a ATI installation disk best for my needs.

P.S. Esac I didn't fully understand your comment in a given rep!

You wrote: Thanks Vek, from Firefox film...

Was there a Vek in that Clint Eastwood movie?!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Hi bois. thanks for the hint with those settings:thumbup:. I changed them but have not tested them. I use an advance haze mod. On my PC i have pentium 4 3.06Gz. 3GB of RAM and some ATI graphic card 512Mb. I must say i was stuned when i switched to it streight after 1Gb of RAM and 128 Mb on graphic card.

On personal experience i must admit that fps increased significantly after RAM increase and all other graphical details got better only after Graphic card.

Now lads i have two questions:

1)what resolution of mirrors do u use?

2) I have a problem with some vehicles and helicopters. SOme of their parts are displayed in a dull grey color. Is there any way to fix it?:joystick:

Ha Ha Ha.

No no, my quote " You must think in russian " is from the Film Firefox.

And of course Vek is for you, Vekkinho.

Before my actual rig i had one very similar than yours Vek ( XD ). I had an AMD XP 3.5, 1 Giga Ram 400 Mhz and an ATI X800GTO 2. Always with the last Omega Drivers for Ati cards. The most strange thing is that with this rig i could manage FC fairly well, with 4x and 4x and the FPS never felt below 20. Normal FPS was 25-35 FPS at low level, and at high level something between 35-45.

The only difference i could see is the processor. 3.5 instead of your 2.8 and i always heard that FC was a CPU demanding one more than a graphics card one ( well a good card is cool also).

When i improved my rig with an ATI X1900XT my FPS increased but not very much, maybe 35-40 at ground level and 45-50 at high alttitude. Now with more better ram memory in speed and in quantity an better CPU now i am playing at 1680x1050 16x 16x , all at high ( visibility also ) , except water in medium, and the LandDay and Night in 20000/40000 and my FPS a low level are around 45 FPS, and at high level more than 85 FPS. ( looking at the ground ). BUt the most important thing is that the flight is soft, very soft, no sttuter in explosions, looking around fast or slow, straffing, etc.

The only thing that bring back my rig to its knees is fliying around the big citys like Sevastopol or Novorossisk, there my FPS drops to 15-18 FPS more ore less. ( Before was 5-10 )

I donґt use mirrors at all, neither reflections because this disturb me a lot when flying. Vehicles looks great, specially with Teka Tekaґs lod mod.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

i officialy tested the settings - :( Dramatic drop in fps at altitude starting at 100m. In some cases (atacking the vehicles) screen would freeze and next moment crash. It got a bit better when i changed values to 15000/35000, but flying close to the ground would be more deadly then flying over the bunch of igla:cry:. But on higher altitudes it looked much better and smoother. Stil i went to the default setings.

I like mirrors and reflections, don't know why, just feels better.

where could i get that mod for vehicles?

Is anybody do some formation flying?

Try these values:

near_clip = 0.1;

middle_clip = 2;

far_clip = 80000;

structures = {50, 10000};

trees = {10000, 10000};

dynamic = {100, 8000};

objects = {5000, 50000};

mirage = {1000, 9000};

surface = {20000, 50000};

lights = {50, 10000};

lod = 2;

and

OldLandNoise

{

perSquare = 5;

perSquare2 = 150;

front = 500;

back = 10000;

top = 5000;

map_high = 20000;

bottom = 500;

noisemax = 0.6;

noisemin = 0.1;

for vehicles mod go to TekaTeka site (don't know the link to it though) and for flying online, download and install HyperLobby... you'll get someone you fly in formation and do missions together.

No longer active in DCS...

Thanks mate, your settings so far worked the best, but i am going to experiment a little with "mirage" settings.

I have Hypper loby, but i never was able to find a server for formation flying - battles only

Try these values:

near_clip = 0.1;

middle_clip = 2;

far_clip = 80000;

structures = {50, 10000};

trees = {10000, 10000};

dynamic = {100, 8000};

objects = {5000, 50000};

mirage = {1000, 9000};

surface = {20000, 50000};

lights = {50, 10000};

lod = 2;

and

OldLandNoise

{

perSquare = 5;

perSquare2 = 150;

front = 500;

back = 10000;

top = 5000;

map_high = 20000;

bottom = 500;

noisemax = 0.6;

noisemin = 0.1;

for vehicles mod go to TekaTeka site (don't know the link to it though) and for flying online, download and install HyperLobby... you'll get someone you fly in formation and do missions together.

could i use those setting here?

i have a fps mod installed .

cheers .

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]