[PLANNED] PID Delta V Bug

Kercheiz

When following a tanker locked on radar, I noticed the relative speed displayed on the HUD is very different in TWS and STT, by about 50kts. And it seems the TWS one is wrong, because I could maintain -20 displayed while the distance decreased, and relative speed in STT was +30.

Here is a screenshot where I switch from TWS to STT within a few seconds. This time TWS relative speed is off by 230kts...

[ATTACH]241425[/ATTACH]

And here is the track file

[ATTACH]241424[/ATTACH]

The bug is that radar should have switched automatically to STT by this range. :music_whistling:

Mirage fanatic !

I7-7700K/ MSI RTX3080/ RAM 64 Go/ SSD / TM Hornet stick-Virpil WarBRD + Virpil CM3 Throttle + MFG Crosswind + Reverb G2.

Flickr gallery: https://www.flickr.com/gp/71068385@N02/728Hbi

The bug is that radar should have switched automatically to STT by this range. :music_whistling:

what's the minimum range radar would've stayed in TWS if it hadn't been bugged ?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 2 months later...
Hi razbam!

When a target is locked in PID, the delta V can be wrong (most importantly showing negative closure speed when actually closing on target). In PIC the issue seems to go away.

Thanks

Pierre

Hi Pierre, can you confirm this is still present in the latest OB update from 23/09/2020?

Know and use all the capabilities in your airplane. If you don't, sooner or later, some guy who does use them all will kick your ass.

— Dave 'Preacher' Pace, USN.

Not as I understand a radar.

Radar goes first swipe, and it give a relative distance to target.

Then , when it crosses the target again on a swipe (not necessarily the first after) it will get a new distance.

Then we do (D1-D2)/Dt and we get the relative speed!

To have the best refresh rate, then you get to play with bars and azimut or STT/PIC.

Well, when we say doppler radar, it is in fact pulse-doppler.

This combination allows to obtain more information in a single pass. (A pulse radar wouldn't be as complete, though the pulse-doppler also has limitations).

There is 0 reason for this inacuracy. The radar can obtain the relative target speed via the doppler shift. or via the distance shift between the two passes. The two methods are very accruate!

The pure doppler radar is used on road radars... to my knowledge it is precise to less than 5% and will not show speed as if you're running backwards...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pulse-Doppler_radar

Edited by pierrewind

• 4 weeks later...

Do you have more info about this? Is this based on your knowledge of the real aircraft or past module behavior?

Because it's behaving like that for a while.

Do you have more info about this? Is this based on your knowledge of the real aircraft or past module behavior?

Because it's behaving like that for a while.

I did ask to a pilot.

No it never worked in game.

Mirage fanatic !

I7-7700K/ MSI RTX3080/ RAM 64 Go/ SSD / TM Hornet stick-Virpil WarBRD + Virpil CM3 Throttle + MFG Crosswind + Reverb G2.

Flickr gallery: https://www.flickr.com/gp/71068385@N02/728Hbi

Our SME is away for the week so will be unable to check on this for that time. @jojo this pilot is he active AdA? Perhaps if he knows so much we can talk to him internally and verify this information.

Know and use all the capabilities in your airplane. If you don't, sooner or later, some guy who does use them all will kick your ass.

— Dave 'Preacher' Pace, USN.

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • myHelljumper changed the title to [PLANNED] PID Delta V Bug