Triple Screen Set up for the Viper Recommendations.

Hey everyone, anyone here flying the viper with three screens? If so are you using a 3 viewport configuration or a single viewport? Which produces the least distortion? I just upgraded to a triple monitor set up and want to get the best result. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Note they are all the same monitor, 2560x1440 x3 27"

VR should be the go to solution for this game without question. There is nothing like the immersion that VR gives you.

Intel i7 8700K @ 4.8Ghz, Asus RoG Maximus X Formula, 32GB G.Skill Trident Z 3200, EVGA Geforce 2080 Super, 1TB Samsung Evo 970 M.2, 500GB Samsung Pro 860 SSD.

TM Warthog, Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals, Acer 23" x2, Oculus Rift S, FSSB3 Lighting

Literally not even relevant to the initial question.

Secondly, I used to run an Oculus Rift S but sold it because the image quality and resolution is poor. There is not a headset on the market and probably won't be for the next few years with the fidelity of quality gaming monitors.

My rig: Intel i7 8700K @5Ghz, 32GB DDR4 2700, Nvidia RTX 2080Ti, 1TB total RAID 0 Dual SanDisk 500Gb SSDs. 1TB WD HDD, TM Warthog, TM Pedals, Dell GSYNC 27" x3 1 LG 29" Ultra-wide. TM MFDs, StreamDeck XL

The new hp reverb may be a decent candidate, but I guess to each their own. I can no longer play any flying sim without vr. so what if the graphics aren't 4k quality. the immersion factor imo far outweighs having multiple monitors.I hope you at least have a trackir headset?

It just seems running on monitors is like being in 2d, versus vr being in 3d.

Sorry I will stop commenting so somebody can attempt to answer your question.

Intel i7 8700K @ 4.8Ghz, Asus RoG Maximus X Formula, 32GB G.Skill Trident Z 3200, EVGA Geforce 2080 Super, 1TB Samsung Evo 970 M.2, 500GB Samsung Pro 860 SSD.

TM Warthog, Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals, Acer 23" x2, Oculus Rift S, FSSB3 Lighting

Hey @ HayMak3r,

Sorry if I came across rudely, just frustrated trying to get this set up correctly.

Been digging around a lot. I honestly love the immersiveness of VR but not even able to read the gauges from the cockpit without having to zoom in or move was disappointing. Even for items that should be large enough to read from a distance.

In a couple of years I will probably give it a try again, but I am definitely upgrading to a 3080Ti when the are announced so I have the power for it.

I do in fact use a TrackIR and feel with the multi monitor set up properly I will thoroughly enjoy it. I even use a 4th screen to export the MFDs and EHSI larger so I can see critical information faster. I use my MFD panels on the screen to create more immersiveness.

There is more than one way to skin a cat, people use many different systems to play the game their way, VR, monitors, Streamdecks, HELIOS etc. The versatility is awesome. I feel if a few more tweaks to the game would make it impeccable. It just difficult to get a clear cut answer, on how to do certain things that others have been doing for a long time, I.E. MultiMonitor Setups, VR optimization, etc.

I do rock 3 screens of 1920x1080 (5760x1080)

Initially I did run with the 3 viewports (3x 1920x1080), which provides the best sensation, but FPS drop heavily compared to using 1 viewport (1x 5760x1080).

Just give it a try and see what works best for oyu

To further derail the thread towards MOAR VR:cry::lol: As a former triple monitor user in the other sim, I switched to DCS pretty much full time due to VR with a Rift S. But I missed the FOV of triple monitors. I can definitely say that the Pimax 5k+ FOV to me seems the best of both worlds of you have a good system to run it. I think I get a larger FOV with the Pimax than my previous triple monitor setups (19"x3, then a PLP setup w/ 32"x1 + 19"x2). Sorry to not be helpful with your current issue but something to think about for the future.

I7-9700KF@5ghz, 32GB DDR4 3200, RTX 3090, Pimax 5k+, Virpil T-50CM2 base with Warthog, F/A-18, T-50cm, and VFX grips, Saitek X65F, Saitek Switch Panel, TM Cougar MFDs, TM TPR pedals, JetSeat and bass pucks, H640P for VRK, PointCtrl

3rd Space Vest project for basic G Seat/G Suit simulation

VR should be the go to solution for this game without question. There is nothing like the immersion that VR gives you.

Disagree: resolution is crappy.

"You see, IronHand is my thing"

My specs:  W10 Pro, I5/11600K o/c to 4800 @1.32v, 64 GB 3200 XML RAM, ASUS RTX3060ti/8GB.

Update everyone*

Thanks for all the suggestions and commentary. For now Monitors are the way to go until VR can achieve the same fidelity and FOV. I'll keep my eye on the HP Reverb 2, may be worth looking into.

So I was able to modify the default 3 screen.lua file to output to my 3 27" GSync Monitors and then use my 29" Ultrawide underneath to display the Viper's MFDs and EHSI. Anyone know how to export the RWR or DED? Or any other cool ideas to fill up the extra space I have?

If anyone wants a copy of my .lua file for this config please reach out, I would like to make it easier for people to find the information that took me quite some time to gather from various places.

Here is a pic of my set up: sn3sKao.jpg

Update everyone*

Thanks for all the suggestions and commentary. For now Monitors are the way to go until VR can achieve the same fidelity and FOV. I'll keep my eye on the HP Reverb 2, may be worth looking into.

So I was able to modify the default 3 screen.lua file to output to my 3 27" GSync Monitors and then use my 29" Ultrawide underneath to display the Viper's MFDs and EHSI. Anyone know how to export the RWR or DED? Or any other cool ideas to fill up the extra space I have?

If anyone wants a copy of my .lua file for this config please reach out, I would like to make it easier for people to find the information that took me quite some time to gather from various places.

One idea I've been thinking about is to replace the lower monitor with a touch screen and use Helios to export instruments to it. I'm still looking for a monitor that's big enough that the MFD's are as near life size as I can get and still get a clear crisp image so that I can read the output.

Edited by RackMonkey

MSI Z490 Tomahawk, I5-11600kf, 2X512GB NvME, RTX4090, 32GB DDR4 3200, Reverb G2, T50-CM2, OpenXR

31st TFW, 14th MAS, 9th ARS

As I know DCS does not provide a way to adjust monitor angle. Major simracing titles enable you to adjust the angle of side monitors, so the image is not distorted. I've tried many ways to adjust this with .lua files in DCS; but there seems to be no way.

And to me, without proper triple screen setup, it is a complete waste of money :)

I have first generation Samsung Odyssey HMD. No other setup comes closer to the immersion it provides during aviation simulation.

Edited by hyozbahce

• 3 weeks later...
Update everyone*

Hi CypherBlue,

I like so much your configuration with 3 monitors.

Could you send me the lua file, please?

I tried serveral times but I did not succeed

Thanks in advance.

Edited by shongoku

• 2 weeks later...

.lua file

Can you just attach you .lua file here in a message for us to see? Thanks.

---

PC: Windows 10 Pro X64, AMD FX8120 8 Core @ ~4.0GHz, 32GB DDR3-1600, GTX 1080 8Gb, 1 TB EVO 860 SSD | Displays: 3 Dell HD 1920x1080 @ 5520x1080 windowed ||| Hardware : TM Warthog HOTAS Stick+Throttle | 3x TM Cougar MFD's | WW Combat Panel | WW Landing Panel ||| Mods: F/A-18C | F-16 | P51-D | UH-1H | C130-J | NTTR | Persian Gulf | Syria | Channel | Normandy | WWII Assets | Super Carrier | Combined Arms

You could use the new Helios 1.6 to setup monitors and viewports, even if you don't want any of the panels or gauges.

You can make a profile that just has monitor setup and viewports either from scratch or, get Capt Zeen's profile and delete everything but the viewports, then move and size them to suit.

Helios 1.6 will do all the lua file editing for you. Worth looking at.