Sharing skin question

Victor3

So if I make a squadron skin and share it with my mates, as long as it's named the same shouldn't we all be able to see each other in it? Does it need to be in the game directory as opposed to the saved games?

Aorus Z370 Ultra Gaming WiFi MB | i7-8700k @ 4.9 GHz | EVGA GTX 1070 Ti | 32 GB CORSAIR Vengeance 3000 MHz DDR4 Ram | Corsair H100 Pro Cooler | RaidMax TX 850M PS | Samsung 970 Evo Plus M.2 NVMe SSD |TM Warthog Hotas w/ F/A-18 Hornet grip | Corsair Gamer 570x Crystal Case | Oculus Rift S

DCS | AV8B | F18C | F-16C | A10C | Mig 29 | F15 | SA-342 | Huey | Persian Gulf | NTTR | Combined Arms

ED made it so custom liveries can be used from the Saved Games liveries folders. They want to keep all custom files outside of their main install. So you are best served by following their wishes and using them from there. That being said, you will need to make some folders to allow it to work.

The first one, if you have not done so already is to make the folder "Liveries" in your Saved games /DCS install folder. Then you will need to create the folder for the specific aircraft that you have the skin for. If this name is not EXACTLY what it needs to be, it will not work, Capitalization included. This will take some research on what ED uses for the folder name in their core install, whether it is in Coremods or mods or maybe under the bazaar structure. Once created though, then in there will be the folders that contain each skin that you have and you should be good to go.

Yes, you COULD put it in the core install with all of the default skins for that aircraft and it will still work, untill you need to do a full repair or reinstall of DCS and it potentially gets wiped out. In saved games, it will remain intact through such procedures.

Good luck.

PS: To answer the actual question, provided everyone put the skin in A proper location(whether saved games or not), yes, everyone that has it will see it.

Edited by Shahdoh

ED made it so custom liveries can be used from the Saved Games liveries folders. They want to keep all custom files outside of their main install. So you are best served by following their wishes and using them from there. That being said, you will need to make some folders to allow it to work.

The first one, if you have not done so already is to make the folder "Liveries" in your Saved games /DCS install folder. Then you will need to create the folder for the specific aircraft that you have the skin for. If this name is not EXACTLY what it needs to be, it will not work, Capitalization included. This will take some research on what ED uses for the folder name in their core install, whether it is in Coremods or mods or maybe under the bazaar structure. Once created though, then in there will be the folders that contain each skin that you have and you should be good to go.

Yes, you COULD put it in the core install with all of the default skins for that aircraft and it will still work, untill you need to do a full repair or reinstall of DCS and it potentially gets wiped out. In saved games, it will remain intact through such procedures.

Good luck.

PS: To answer the actual question, provided everyone put the skin in A proper location(whether saved games or not), yes, everyone that has it will see it.

Thanks for the reply. I guess I left out some vital info tho. We all see the skin fine individually, but when we fly together in MP we only see our squadron skin on our own plane. Everyone else has a default skin. That is with us all putting them in the saved games folder. That's why I wondered if it needed to be in the main game. I guess maybe something else is messed up.

Aorus Z370 Ultra Gaming WiFi MB | i7-8700k @ 4.9 GHz | EVGA GTX 1070 Ti | 32 GB CORSAIR Vengeance 3000 MHz DDR4 Ram | Corsair H100 Pro Cooler | RaidMax TX 850M PS | Samsung 970 Evo Plus M.2 NVMe SSD |TM Warthog Hotas w/ F/A-18 Hornet grip | Corsair Gamer 570x Crystal Case | Oculus Rift S

DCS | AV8B | F18C | F-16C | A10C | Mig 29 | F15 | SA-342 | Huey | Persian Gulf | NTTR | Combined Arms

So, you are saying that you all put your own individual skins in the SAME folder with the same name?

Yes, you will ONLY see what YOU have in your install. Each client will only see what THEY have in THEIR install.

If you want to see each individuals skin, each one will have to be in their own folder with their own unique name in EVERYONE'S machine that wants/needs to see it.

So, you are saying that you all put your own individual skins in the SAME folder with the same name?

Yes, you will ONLY see what YOU have in your install. Each client will only see what THEY have in THEIR install.

If you want to see each individuals skin, each one will have to be in their own folder with their own unique name in EVERYONE'S machine that wants/needs to see it.

Sorry for any confusion, we all have the exact same skin, named the same, but even though we are all selecting the same skin during a session, we see that skin on our aircraft but everyone else in in the default skin.

In that case, does the server have the skin as well? Many times, that is not needed but has changed through the years, something may have reverted...

In the past it HAD to be on the server, so that others could see you in it. Then more currently, it did not have to be on the server, but you would only see the skin IF you were on the server BEFORE the other person loaded into it. If you came in later, would see default, until they reloaded into the aircraft fresh again.

Been a while since I have tested that, so for now, ensure the server has the skin on it as well and see if that fixes anything.

Thanks I'll check that.