Weather development

nicka117

You wrote: 'It is unbelievably frustrating when you are flying around trying to pass a location of a target to your wingman, just for them to say "i am in a cloud".'

What you just described, is it something you actually experienced before, whether in DCS or another simulation, or is it rhetorical conjecture, i.e. it didn't happen before but you can imagine the upcoming changes producing this result?

Not to speak for Lex, but from my own experience, clouds in DCS are not synced between players. What one person sees is not the same as the other.

Trying to use the clouds in DCS to gain or take away an advantage is pointless, as you're opponent may not even see clouds at all.

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not to speak for Lex, but from my own experience, clouds in DCS are not synced between players. What one person sees is not the same as the other.

Trying to use the clouds in DCS to gain or take away an advantage is pointless, as you're opponent may not even see clouds at all.

I hope that DCS is working on this at the present time. I can't imagine them developing a new weather system based on the present one, as the present one is very limited, to put it mildly.

DCS has an extraordinary level of fidelity and detail in flight dynamics and aircraft and weapons systems. Weather is always a major factor in operations (away from Nevada), but is lacking in this to make it a true operational simulation.

Seems we are much closer to new weather and clouds than we thought
Perhaps, but it could also mean that the weather system is virtually finished and then has to wait for the clouds, but the clouds are going to take a lot longer. We don't really know the cloud status.

PC specs:

Perhaps, but it could also mean that the weather system is virtually finished and then has to wait for the clouds, but the clouds are going to take a lot longer. We don't really know the cloud status.

From Kate:

* The new clouds will be released prior to the new weather system (which is already finished internally) for users to test

* You will be able to change weather conditions in specific areas (as opposed to the whole map)

i9 9900k @5.1GHz NZXT Kraken |Asus ROG Strix Z390 E-Gaming | Samsung NVMe m.2 970 Evo 1TB | LPX 64GB DDR4 3200MHz

EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra | Reverb G1  | HOTAS Warthog | Saitek Flight Pedals

From Kate:

* The new clouds will be released prior to the new weather system (which is already finished internally) for users to test

* You will be able to change weather conditions in specific areas (as opposed to the whole map)

That's nice. I might be wrong, but I think she was referring specifically to the dynamic weather system which makes it even more interesting.

Banned by cunts.

apache01.png

From Kate:

I'm not sure why you've quoted this. None of it tells us when clouds might be ready - might be next month, might be next year. All we now know is that once clouds are released, we know the new weather system will come some time after. That could be a short or long delay in itself, on top of the time to get clouds released.

PC specs:

I hope this will be done in a user-friendly way, as to not put any more pressure on mission designers.

Spoiler

Ryzen 9 5900X | 64GB G.Skill TridentZ 3600 | Gigabyte RX6900XT | ASUS ROG Strix X570-E GAMING | Samsung 990Pro 2TB + 960Pro 1TB NMVe | HP Reverb G2
Pro Flight Trainer Puma | VIRPIL MT-50CM2+3 base / CM2 x2 grip with 200 mm S-curve extension + CM3 throttle + CP2/3 + FSSB R3L + VPC Rotor TCS Plus base with SharKa-50 grip mounted on Monstertech MFC-1 | TPR rudder pedals

OpenXR | PD 1.0 | 100% render resolution | DCS "HIGH" preset

I just want synced clouds that don't eat 300fps.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

• ED Team
.Impact;4487748']Will the new clouds cover IR signatures for IRST and heatseaking missiles ?

Is this a focus of development ?

We want them to be as realistic as possible, specifically dealing with all forms of combat we simulate, so its all part of the goals for clouds.

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

Sounds awesome. Does this include IR missiles and EO systems of AI aircraft and AA units too, i.e. will we be able to use clouds tactically against AI?

I'm pretty sure that is also part of the goal they want to achieve. When (or if) they will actually achieve that, is another question ;)

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

@Nineline

I hope if you bring the new weather simulation, the core engine has improved it in terms of Fps. see the vr performance. I'm wondering how it will look like with the new clouds in vr. Best greets mking

System

Hydro H115i with 8700k @ 4,9 ghz all cores, Asus strix Z370 f, 32gb ddr4 3600Mhz, Asusrog swift 34 gsync ,Vr hp Reverb .Palit gaming pro 2080 ti Thrustmaster Warthog f18grip and th pedal

Steamvr ss 100% and dcs world ss 180%

tomcat eats the viper for breakfast :P

Lange lebe die Tomcat": Long live the Cat!

Has any one seen the terrible movie Vivarium on movie streaming networks ?.

They end up imprisoned in a virtual fake world and all the clouds in the movie are little puffy blotches identical to DCS cloud system.

At one point the female is looking at them depressed mentioning in the real world they came in all shapes and sizes but these are all the same.

I wanted to make a meme of it

Love DCS still as is.

Nineline, I know you get a lot of questions and you're not able to expand much on the new weather system as you guys are clearly still working very hard on it, but is it possible yet to say something about these two matters:

1. Will the new clouds no longer rotate if you look at them in VR/TrackIR and tilt your head?
  2. Will the problem of disappearing/appearing distant clouds in VR be solved?

(I know there's much much more to the weather system, but these are my main concerns and pretty much the main reason why currently I only fly in clear skies)

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

People seem to be overly preoccupied with puffy clouds (cumulus). Clouds are most often stratocumulus, or rather flattish clouds. They have a base, tops, and go from scattered to completely overcast.

Flying inside clouds should be good for the frame rate, as rendering of external objects would be inhibited as generally, visibility inside cloud is very low. So low that the wingman may have to stay very close to the lead in a formation.

I wonder if they'll add turbulence while flying inside those puffy clouds.

1. Will the new clouds no longer rotate if you look at them in VR/TrackIR and tilt your head?
  2. Will the problem of disappearing/appearing distant clouds in VR be solved?

It's pretty hard to imagine that they'd go to the effort of building a brand new weather system with brand new cloud visuals and not address such obvious issues, no?

i7-7700K @ 4.9Ghz | 16Gb DDR4 @ 3200Mhz | MSI Z270 Gaming M7 | MSI GeForce GTX 1080ti Gaming X | Win 10 Home | Thrustmaster Warthog | MFG Crosswind pedals | Oculus Rift S

It's pretty hard to imagine that they'd go to the effort of building a brand new weather system with brand new cloud visuals and not address such obvious issues, no?

If it's so obvious, which I do agree with you, it wouldn't be a problem for NL or BN to confirm this.

At this moment I'm not sure if ED even confirmed the issue with the dis-/appearing distant clouds in VR. Let alone if this is solved with the new and improved clouds.

I know, chances are slim that either NL or BN read my questions, but I have to try :)

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH