[REPORTED]P-47 Flaps operation

iFoxRomeo

Since my very first flight in the DCS: P-47 I noticed the slow flaps operation.

I thought: Mkay, strange, but it's the way it is.

Then, I happend to see a P-47 start up video... and searched for more.

The result are in my YT clip.

Results:

16.5s in DCS versus 3s to 6s in reality, and the left flap seems to be somewhat faster retracted and deployed

Fox

Spoiler

PC Specs: Ryzen 9 5900X, 3080ti, 64GB RAM, Oculus Quest 3

• ED Team
Flaps actuators could be changed in modern P-47s

Possibly yes, will wait for the teams reply.

thanks

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

Reported for the team to check

thank you

Thanks Big

Flaps actuators could be changed in modern P-47s

That's why I didn't say it is a bug per se. But I don't think it was changed. The idea to preserve a historical aircraft/car/item of choice is to keep it the way it was, isn't it?

Fox

Spoiler

• ED Team

One of the reports about longitudinal stability and controllability contains time history of flaps deploying. 12 s at 140-130 mph. But no-load movement can be faster. As well as retracting. Will see.

Edited by Yo-Yo

Ніщо так сильно не ранить мозок, як уламки скла від розбитих рожевих окулярів

There is nothing so hurtful for the brain as splinters of broken rose-coloured spectacles.

Ничто так сильно не ранит мозг, как осколки стекла от разбитых розовых очков (С) Me

Thanks Big

That's why I didn't say it is a bug per se. But I don't think it was changed. The idea to preserve a historical aircraft/car/item of choice is to keep it the way it was, isn't it?

Fox

I would agree, but i dont. Most of these collector warbirds have been modified, Look at most of the pits allot of them for example have GPS units installed and Radio units to meet i assume lame FAA regulations. But The Fighter Collection certainly the Subject matter expert on it.:thumbup:

Intel 8700k @5ghz, 32gb ram, 1080ti, Rift S

One of the reports about longitudinal stability and controllability contains time history of flaps deploying. 12 s at 140-130 mph. But no-load movement can be faster. As well as retracting. Will see.

Thank you Yo-Yo.

I would agree, but i dont. Most of these collector warbirds have been modified, Look at most of the pits allot of them for example have GPS units installed and Radio units to meet i assume lame FAA regulations. But The Fighter Collection certainly the Subject matter expert on it.:thumbup:

Do the modifications include the engine, brakes, hydraulics? I don't think so, unless it is necessary for safe flight. To discuss this I would suggest a new topic in chit-chat, but not here.

If Yo-Yo (or someone from the ED staff) comes to the conclusion it is correct the way it is after re-checking the documents again, it's fine then.

Fox

Spoiler

I was thinking about that one too, when I just remembered the pilot manuals specifically caution about raising the flaps to quickly after takeoff, and that, when flying with flaps deployed, there was a risk of one flap or the other suddenly retracting. When retracting the flaps in flight, at least one of them directed pilots to 'nurse' the flap lever up to keep them from retracting too quickly and spilling the air under the wings.

I'll have to see if I can find it.

Harry Voyager

the P-47 was known for having very slow flap actions, as opposed to other aircraft. 10 deg. was "combat flaps" position and may take 3-5 sec. to deploy, it seems very realistic to me, P-47 had a very complicated flap compensator system that was part of preflight to check, they would get out of time with each other,

and was very prone to problem. and as comparisons sake, check P-51 to 1st flap position the "combat flap", the time is close, then lower and raise to full flaps, the P-47 is much longer. but they are different aircraft, so they should be different :)

We are Virtual Pilots, a growing International Squad of pilots, we fly Allies in WWII and Red Force in Korea and Modern combat. We are recruiting like minded people of all Nationalities and skill levels.

http://virtual-pilots.com/

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I was thinking about that one too, when I just remembered the pilot manuals specifically caution about raising the flaps to quickly after takeoff, and that, when flying with flaps deployed, there was a risk of one flap or the other suddenly retracting. When retracting the flaps in flight, at least one of them directed pilots to 'nurse' the flap lever up to keep them from retracting too quickly and spilling the air under the wings.

I'll have to see if I can find it.

Harry Voyager

"Nursing" the flaps up is a technique to make sure you have sufficient airspeed prior to flap retraction beyond a particular angle. It really has nothing to do with the speed of movement of the flaps.

Now we have established flap retraction minimum speeds for each flap position detent. Back then there were no detents nor any hard data on safe minimum speeds for retraction. You learned how to do it from experience if you didn't kill yourself first.

I will say that the P-47 in DCS has remarkably slow flaps for a hydraulically actuated system.

EDsignaturefleet.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • ED Team

this fix is already in open beta not sure why it wasn't added to the logs, hopefully you have noticed a difference now.

thanks

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2