Help with ILS landing

lwalter

I wanted to try an ILS landing on Kutaisi runway 26, ILS 109.75. I never got the f16 to get the localizer nor glideslope signal. The STRG CMD line above the ILS frequency on the DED never got highlighted either.

Here are the all the steps I went through:

- COM1 set to Kutaisi ATC 263.00

- called Kutaisi ATC for inbound. They gave me a heading to follow for 50, which I did.

- I made sure ILS volume on Audio 2 panel was not OFF

- on T-ILS page, I entered 109.75 as the ILS frequency and 254 for the course

- on the HSI, I set course to 254 and chose PLS-NAV mode (also tried PLS-TCN but didn't work either)

- When crossing Kutaisi landing course, I was at less than 5000 ft altitude and still no ILS signal caught...

- Finally Kutaisi ATC contacted me "clearly for visual" and switched on the airport lights. At least I could do a "visual landing". ILS completely let me down on this one.

I"m probably doing something wrong or missing a step, but I read the F16 DCS manual twice for the ILS section and couldn't find it. Any help here would be appreciated.

iMac Retina 5K, 27-inch, i7 4 GHz, 32 GB RAM, AMD R9 M395X 4 GB | Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog | Cougar MFD | MFG Crosswind | EDTracker Pro | Realteus ForceFeel

DCS World | Bf109 | Fw190 A8/D9 | P47 | P51 | Spitfire | I16 | C101 | L39 | F86F | MiG15 | MiG19 | MiG21 | FC3 | A10C | AJS37 | AV8BNA | F5 | F14 | F16 | F/A18 | M2000 | JF17 | Christen Eagle | Yak52 | SA342 | UH1H | Mi8 | Ka50 | Combined Arms | NS430 | Persian Gulf | Normandy | Channel | Syria | NTTR | WWII Assets

Could you hear the ILS beacon tones? And on T-ILS page, did DED show ILS ON?

I could hear the outer and inner beacon tones. However, no morse code for the ILS station. Don't know if that's normal or not.

The T-ILS page showed ILS ON.

iMac Retina 5K, 27-inch, i7 4 GHz, 32 GB RAM, AMD R9 M395X 4 GB | Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog | Cougar MFD | MFG Crosswind | EDTracker Pro | Realteus ForceFeel

DCS World | Bf109 | Fw190 A8/D9 | P47 | P51 | Spitfire | I16 | C101 | L39 | F86F | MiG15 | MiG19 | MiG21 | FC3 | A10C | AJS37 | AV8BNA | F5 | F14 | F16 | F/A18 | M2000 | JF17 | Christen Eagle | Yak52 | SA342 | UH1H | Mi8 | Ka50 | Combined Arms | NS430 | Persian Gulf | Normandy | Channel | Syria | NTTR | WWII Assets

I think Kutaisi only has ILS on Runway 08 according to the charts in DCS. You can find the charts in you installation folder.

drive you install DCS in:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World OpenBeta\Doc\Charts\DCS_GND_Charts.pdf

To whom it may concern,

I am an idiot, unfortunately for the world, I have a internet connection and a fondness for beer....apologies for that.

Thank you for you patience.

Many people don't want the truth, they want constant reassurance that whatever misconception/fallacies they believe in are true..

DCS turns off most ILSs (and other radio landing aids) when it determines the wind isn't cooperative with landing in that direction. If it was on you'd at least get the identification tones from the 08 system and it would function in the back course manner for 26. For extra fun the logic for ATC runway selection and radio landing aid runway selection aren't identical so it's possible for ATC to direct you to land on a runway and the radio aid for that runway to be turned off.

Here's my go-to ILS mission for Senaki.

ILS Practice - Senaki-Kolkhi.miz

Derek "BoxxMann" Speare

derekspearedesigns.com 25,000+ Gaming Enthusiasts Trust DSD Components to Perform!

i7-11700k 4.9g | RTX3080ti (finally!)| 64gb Ram | 2TB NVME PCIE4| Reverb G1 | CH Pro Throt/Fighterstick Pro | 4 DSD Boxes

Falcon XT/AT/3.0/4.0 | LB2 | DCS | LOMAC

Been Flight Simming Since 1988!

Useful VR settings and tips for DCS HERE

DCS turns off most ILSs (and other radio landing aids) when it determines the wind isn't cooperative with landing in that direction. If it was on you'd at least get the identification tones from the 08 system and it would function in the back course manner for 26. For extra fun the logic for ATC runway selection and radio landing aid runway selection aren't identical so it's possible for ATC to direct you to land on a runway and the radio aid for that runway to be turned off.

That's good to know. Thanks for your explanation!

So, it means that I would have been unable to land at Kutaisi using ILS, right?

Is this considered to be a general issue with DCS? I'm wondering if there are plans to fix that when DCS team will work on the ATC improvements.

Is this considered to be a general issue with DCS? I'm wondering if there are plans to fix that when DCS team will work on the ATC improvements.

More of a simulation of real world limitations. Not every runway you can land on will be equipped with ILS. Reference what mvsgas said above. You might have been landing on the wrong runway for an ILS approach there.

Yes, the ILS that you were tuned too had been turned off. Yes, ILS being turn on/off at weird times is a general issue that affects all modules. I don't know of any plans specifically. In reality when radio landing aids are on and off are based on airport-specific rules. DCS's rules for when to run various aids are a little too simplistic.

In reality when radio landing aids are on and off are based on airport-specific rules.

Yes and no. If there is an ILS for each runway direction, an interlock (which switches off the ILS for a runway if the reciprocal runway direction is active) is an ICAO requirement for CAT II and III approaches (Annex 10, 3.1.2.7), and it is recommended for CAT I. For a runway equipped with a single ILS, the rules of operation can either be decided by the local ANSP or airport.

The issue in DCS is that the logic for selecting the active runway direction is flawed/suboptimal.

• 3 months later...