Napalm

WichitaMODEX

• 7 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

made my own once in my parents garage, they still dont know how that huge black burn mark got on the floor.  so yeah, lets get the napalm going...I want that tree line fouled...

"You see, IronHand is my thing"

My specs:  W10 Pro, I5/11600K o/c to 4800 @1.32v, 64 GB 3200 XML RAM, ASUS RTX3060ti/8GB.

• 6 months later...
  • 3 months later...
11 hours ago, grafspee said:

I'm not sure what point would be in introducing napalm in to dcs, beside obvious, massive fps killer. 

With Napalm you can take out Tanks without hitting them directly. Would be helpful for the Korean Era as well.

Spoiler

PC Specs: Ryzen 9 5900X, 3080ti, 64GB RAM, Oculus Quest 3

Latest version of A-4E mod brought napalm canisters apparently, and they look not bad on the teaser video actually, so maybe some talented modders could make them usable in official planes as well, P-47 included...

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

18 hours ago, Art-J said:

Latest version of A-4E mod brought napalm canisters apparently, and they look not bad on the teaser video actually, so maybe some talented modders could make them usable in official planes as well, P-47 included...

The A-4E napalm canisters were Vietnam-era napalm specific bombs.

IIRC, the napalm P-47’s dropped during WWII, was napalm that was simply mixed and then pumped into external fuel tanks (obviously not plumbed to the aircraft).  The fuel cap for the external tank was modified to hold a detonator.  I believe sometimes a second detonator was installed on the tail of the fuel tank as well.

When the P-47 dropped the fuel tank, the fuel tank’s impact with the ground caused the fuel tank to rupture, dousing the area with napalm.  The impact also activated the detonator.

So basically, the napalm our P-47’s would be dropping would look no different than the drop tanks already in game, except for a small detonator installed on the red fuel cap, and possibly another attached to the tail.  

I’m not even sure they painted anything on the tank to signify that it was filled with napalm and not regular fuel… as it was usually filled right before takeoff and the pilot would definitely know his mission (and his load out) by then.

Edited by Barrett_g

2 hours ago, Barrett_g said:

I’m not even sure they painted anything on the tank to signify that it was filled with napalm and not regular fuel… as it was usually filled right before takeoff and the pilot would definitely know his mission (and his load out) by then.

Maybe it’s just me with my 21st century H&S head on but surely they would identify the modified fuel tanks. The consequences of a mix up would have been devastating…

6 hours ago, Mogster said:

Maybe it’s just me with my 21st century H&S head on but surely they would identify the modified fuel tanks. The consequences of a mix up would have been devastating…

The actual tanks were never modified.  The detonator was installed in the gas cap.

Whether it was used as a drop tank or a napalm bomb, the tank wouldn’t have been filled until right before the pilot stepped for his pre-flight.

By then the pilot would have been briefed on his mission and his ordinance.

I suppose the ground crew could have slapped some red paint on it or something… but the paint would have still been wet by the time the pilot was climbing in the cockpit!

• 2 weeks later...

I hate to join the endless tidal wave of "I WANT!" posts...but...here's mine....

Today, I started experimenting with P-47s and the Marianas map and  there is no NAPALM in the P-47 loadouts.

We get a Marianas map. We get a P-47. We don't get NAPALM. It was there. It was used. A lot. Really.

NAPALM was first used by combat aircraft by P-47s in the 318th Fighter Group on June 19, 1944. It was used on Saipan. It was used on Tinian. It was used on Guam. It was used afterward on all Pacific islands.

You might also notice in the first video F4Us dropping NAPALM. So, maybe now is a good time to start making it.

After the home-made fuse-on-a-drop-tank used n the Marianas, a real NAPALM bomb was designed:

I'm not arguing the ethics of it. I saw it used in Vietnam and it was very nasty. I'm just arguing about the historical accuracy.

Edited by HotTom
  • Like 4

Exceptional engineering...and a large hammer to make it fit!

• 11 months later...