[REPORTED]Stinger missing straight-flying afterburning target 4/5 tries...

Shadow KT

• 1 month later...

Or please consider breaking SA-13 (Gopher) missiles aswell until fix is ready, currently on PvP servers the team with SA-13 has quite an advantage over the team with any Stinger SAM system (Avenger, Stinger MANPAD)

DCS Wishlist: 2K11 Krug SA-4 Ganef SAM, Stinger fix (broken since over 2 years), canopy 6DOF tracking-limit (deny head-through-canopy)

NOTAM (to DCS server-admins): Please adhere to the common sense gaming-industry administration-policy as most of the global gaming-industry does, after all there's enough hostility on the internet already which really doesn't help anyone. Thank you.    -    That moment when companies don't want to mention important facts in their ToS... -.-   -    Dell Visor WMR, Ryzen 5 3600 (6C/12T), RX 580 8GB

basic DCS-community rule-of-thumb: Don't believe bad things that a DCS pilot claims about another famous DCS pilot without having analyzed the existing evidence - that would only be bullheadedly

PvP: 125+ hours AV-8B VTOL, JF-17 AKG-A2A, royal dutch airforce F-16C, F-14 crew - PvP campaigns since 2013

• 2 weeks later...

You see the same behavior with A2A IR missiles in MP against low and slow targets. Mostly against helicopters exactly as it is shown in these examples. You'll get a "good" tone, and yet often it will inexplicably veer away in the last moment before impact.

I say a "good" tone because who really knows. There's clearly some IR detection/tracking calculations/coefs that don't seem to represent themselves well through the seeker warbling at you. Feels much more yes/no in terms of seeing the target, where 'yes' isn't a strong indication of ability to track the entire way, despite sounding very solid. Again, specifically problematic against helicopters and others flying similar profiles.

I've found I often have better luck just shooting the missile without a lock tone and letting it find them after launch. Perhaps this bypasses the mechanic that causes the strange behavior, but I really can't say for sure.

Just my two cents. Perspective here is from only MP only, can't say if SP sees similar. I'd guess this issue is predominately occurring in medium-high unit count MP missions with at least several clients, and effecting more IR missiles shot, from both clients and ai, than just the stinger.

Edited by Yaga
typo

That's... Not the way you fix things...

No, but it's a 100x easier workaround while we're waiting for the fix.....

DCS Wishlist: 2K11 Krug SA-4 Ganef SAM, Stinger fix (broken since over 2 years), canopy 6DOF tracking-limit (deny head-through-canopy)

NOTAM (to DCS server-admins): Please adhere to the common sense gaming-industry administration-policy as most of the global gaming-industry does, after all there's enough hostility on the internet already which really doesn't help anyone. Thank you.    -    That moment when companies don't want to mention important facts in their ToS... -.-   -    Dell Visor WMR, Ryzen 5 3600 (6C/12T), RX 580 8GB

basic DCS-community rule-of-thumb: Don't believe bad things that a DCS pilot claims about another famous DCS pilot without having analyzed the existing evidence - that would only be bullheadedly

PvP: 125+ hours AV-8B VTOL, JF-17 AKG-A2A, royal dutch airforce F-16C, F-14 crew - PvP campaigns since 2013

No, but it's a 100x easier workaround while we're waiting for the fix.....

DCS isnt about balance.

Eagle Enthusiast, Fresco Fan. Patiently waiting for the F-15E. Clicky F-15C when?

HP Z400 Workstation

Intel Xeon W3680 (i7-980X) OC'd to 4.0 GHz, EVGA GTX 1060 6GB SSC Gaming, 24 GB DDR3 RAM, 500GB Crucial MX500 SSD. Thrustmaster T16000M FCS HOTAS, DIY opentrack head-tracking. I upload DCS videos here https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0-7L3Z5nJ-QUX5M7Dh1pGg

DCS isnt about balance.

That's not up to you to decide, it's up to mission designers to decide...

Do you even play PvP?

PvP multiplayer-server mission designers can balance teams quite a bit with unit types + unit counts (+ maybe even Ai difficulty levels + maybe other things I didn't mention here) it's very helpful to the morale of PvP-multiplayer communities to balance teams as much as possible in such way that there is at least some dynamic (and not only team A beating team B for several weeks in a row)

^^^^^^^

Eagle Enthusiast, Fresco Fan. Patiently waiting for the F-15E. Clicky F-15C when?

HP Z400 Workstation

Intel Xeon W3680 (i7-980X) OC'd to 4.0 GHz, EVGA GTX 1060 6GB SSC Gaming, 24 GB DDR3 RAM, 500GB Crucial MX500 SSD. Thrustmaster T16000M FCS HOTAS, DIY opentrack head-tracking. I upload DCS videos here https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0-7L3Z5nJ-QUX5M7Dh1pGg

That's not up to you to decide, it's up to mission designers to decide...

Do you even play PvP?

PvP multiplayer-server mission designers can balance teams quite a bit with unit types + unit counts (+ maybe even Ai difficulty levels + maybe other things I didn't mention here) it's very helpful to the morale of PvP-multiplayer communities to balance teams as much as possible in such way that there is at least some dynamic (and not only team A beating team B for several weeks in a row)

You are contradicting yourself... ofc mission designers try to balance the game. What you were asking is for ED to nerf the red MANPAD bc the blue one isnt working fine.. as Flappie said tell the mission maker to put SA-13s on both sides but dont ask ED to nerf units for you.

HP Z400 Workstation

Then why not using SA-13 on both sides of your PvP missions? Perfect balance.

Cuz very very time consuming for a mission with near 6000 (six-thousand) units in total.

Edited by DanielNL

Well dont expect ED to balance the game for your favorite PvP server

HP Z400 Workstation

It's one of my favorite PvP servers (along with the StormOfWar WW2 server), and afaik BlueFlag Syria is the most popular dynamic PvP Syria server out there, if not the most popular PvP Syria server. But yes, I'm not really expecting ED to balance it by breaking the other SAMs aswell. But SAMs are a crucial part of DCS, be it PvP or PvE

It's one of my favorite PvP servers (along with the StormOfWar WW2 server), and afaik BlueFlag Syria is the most popular dynamic PvP Syria server out there, if not the most popular PvP Syria server. But yes, I'm not really expecting ED to balance it by breaking the other SAMs aswell. But SAMs are a crucial part of DCS, be it PvP or PvE

No one at BF is asking to break the SA13. No one. Only you are suggesting this. You tend to always overreact when posting on these forums. You should probably just back off your silly suggestion.

Edited by Dagger71

This is about simulation.

ED and partners should be aiming to recreate the modules, weapons etc as close as possible.

To use football as an example, if the football clubs were recreated by ED as close as possible:

If you take control of e.g. Leeds Utd and you play Liverpool and you get your arse whooped. Do not ask e.g. (ED) to remove or dumb down; Fermino, Salah, Mane etc etc, in the name of balance.

My Hangar:

F16C | FA18C | F14A/B | M2000C | AV8B | A10C/ii | KA50 | UH1H | Gazelle | FC3 | CA | Supercarrier

My Spec:

Obsidian750D Airflow | Z370 Gaming Pro Carbon | 8700K | 32GB DDR4 Vengeance @3600 | RTX2070 Super | ZXR PCIe | WD Black 1TB SSD | Log X56 | Log G502 | TrackIR | 1 badass mutha

Well it's been over 3 months now, and still bugged (I just tested with latest OpenBeta).

Just three months? :megalol:

/s

HP Z400 Workstation

In the Harrier forums, an issue was reported that IR missiles were not hitting the Harrier: [NO BUG] IR missiles does not track Harrier anymore. After doing some testing with SA-18 IGLA MANPADs, with Harrier and Hornet as targets, I believe I've proven that the issue is not the Harrier, but the missiles.

I setup a mission with 10 IGLA MANPADS building a corridor for the target aircraft to fly through.

attachment.php?attachmentid=248710&stc=1&d=1601385627

Results against the Hornet:

24 SA-18's were fired on 2 passes of the "gauntlet".

Of those 24 SA-18's fired, 7 actually hit. The rest flew passed and exploded at their EOL.

Of the 7 hits, 6 were from a front or side aspect angle.

Of the 17 misses, 7 were from the front or side aspect angle, and 10 were from the rear; most from within about a 30° cone to the rear of the target aircraft.

-

I flew the target straight and steady at about 350-360 kts at about 2000 feet ASL with the ground at about 65 feet ASL. did no jinking or in any way attempted to avoid missiles.

With this kind of easy target, I'm wondering why ANY missiles missed. This should have been a turkey-shoot. I would have expected the only thing distracting an SA-18 would be the fireball of a previous, exploding SAM.

Mission, track file, and Tacview linked from above thread:

IR-SAM_Test02.miz

IRSAM Test02.trk

Tacview-20200929-032655-DCS-IR-SAM_Test02.txt.zip

--

I only added the Harrier and Hornets, because I don't fly any other jets, but mission is attached, and you may add what ever aircraft or SAM you wish to test.

I've set the aircraft to IMMORTAL, because I only wanted to record hits, and not damage.

I use VARS excellent racing pylons as visual queues for lining up with the center of the gauntlet. I'm not sure if the mission will run without them. If it does, but you still don't want to use the pylons, just follow the wayponits. They will bring your around full circle, so that you can run the gauntlet as often as you wish -- MANPADs will eventually run out of missiles, and I did not arrange for rearming, so you might want to keep that in mind.

Once mission has started, simply fly up the middle (follow waypoints and/or racing pylons. Save your track file and/or record Tacview. Review and enjoy.

---

Edit:

Management Summery:

Removed VARS Pylons, because you cannot load the mission without them, even if you just want to remove them, and I had the older version of VARS pylons installed, so even if you installed the VARS pylons from above, you'd still not be able to load the mission.

Replaced them with DCS generic racing pylons.

Attached updated mission 'IR SAM Test03 IGLA.miz'.

Enjoy.

1994146454_HardCopy_20200929_151914-Tacview-20200929-032655-DCS-IR-SAM_Test02.txt.acmi-TacviewAdvanced.thumb.jpg.7cf01d57bb5e5f911eb4558b29ca30cb.jpg

IR SAM Test03 IGLA.miz

Edited by Captain Orso

When you hit the wrong button on take-off

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler
System board: MSI X99A GAMING 9 ACK Memory: 16GB DDR4-3000 G.Skill Ripjaw System disk: Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 1TB
CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K @ 3800MHz PSU: Corsair AX860i PSU Monitor: ASUS MG279Q, 27"
CPU cooling: Noctua NH-D15 Graphics card: Zotac Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Amp! Extreme VR: Oculus Rift CV1

• 2 months later...

Out of 7 MANPADS shooting at a target flying mach 0.7 at 5000ft, 2 shots hit and kill, but 4 miss by a huge offset and dont track at all, one MANPAD even doenst shot at all. 

Skill level set to expert, no flares. 

The 4 missing shots look like a bug to me. 

image.pngimage.png

The missiles mach speed also goes to mach 1.4 on boost, then drops to mach 0.4  1/10second later and accelerates again to higher mach numbers. Doesnt seem very accurate.

image.png

stinger 2 hit, 4 miss.trk

Edited by de.Impact
pics
  • Thanks 1

image.png

TAW_Impact

• 4 weeks later...

over 1 year and 2 months passed, still is a big issue on @Alpenwolf's Multiplayer server. Please raise priority for this bug. Thank you.