Main Landing Gear Retraction Speed

FightsOn

The main landing gear on the real F-16 retracts two different speeds. The legs retract the first 80% or so of their travel rapidly, then stop, and complete the remaining 20% of their travel at a slower rate of speed. The purpose is to speed the retraction up since the 300kt gear speed comes quickly, but also not to wear the uplock hardware prematurely.

Any plans to correctly animate this feature on the DCS Viper?

The main landing gear on the real F-16 retracts two different speeds. The legs retract the first 80% or so of their travel rapidly, then stop, and complete the remaining 20% of their travel at a slower rate of speed. The purpose is to speed the retraction up since the 300kt gear speed comes quickly, but also not to wear the uplock hardware prematurely.

Any plans to correctly animate this feature on the DCS Viper?

At what point in the retraction does it slow down and how does the landing gear sequence valve ( which, IIRC controls the landing gear retractions) know the landing gear has reach that point? Where do you get this information from? Also, what part of the uplock will wear prematurely if the landing gear retracts like it does in DCS? What is 80% of travel? What does rapidly mean, what speed are we talking about? How does ED determine both of those, 80% of travel and "radiply"?

In case you have access to the manuals, the information your looking for should be in the 1F-16CJ-2-32JG-00-1 for the operational check ( it should include the times for the retractions) and the 1F-16CJ-2-32GS-00-1

Edited by mvsgas

To whom it may concern,

I am an idiot, unfortunately for the world, I have a internet connection and a fondness for beer....apologies for that.

Thank you for you patience.

Many people don't want the truth, they want constant reassurance that whatever misconception/fallacies they believe in are true..

Who's arguing? I'm simply requesting facts and information. That video is of an A model by the way. I'm sure we do not have in DCS.

To whom it may concern,

I am an idiot, unfortunately for the world, I have a internet connection and a fondness for beer....apologies for that.

Many people don't want the truth, they want constant reassurance that whatever misconception/fallacies they believe in are true..

Don't know the block number here, but this looks like the same behavior during flight.

QrM8hUmt5cA?start=511

Block 30, small landing gear like the previous video

86-0347

86-0333

87-0236

87-0250

Edited by mvsgas

To whom it may concern,

I guess my memory is failing me, I don't remember a delay on the retraction (i still don't believe there is a delay) and the uplock roller, which is the part of the landing gear the uplock hook holds when the main landing gear (MLG) door closes is suppose to wear out. Is easily change, just one bolt and nut so I do not see why will it be a problem with "parts wearing out prematurely"

To whom it may concern,

To whom it may concern,

I used to have a document that spelled out why the change was made to the YF-16 but I can’t seem to find it now. Had to do with wear on the components from slamming into the wheel well. Perhaps they changed the hardware as well.

I don’t have access to those pubs since I’m not an F-16 maintainer. But I think we can all agree that if ED gives something close it would be good enough.

I also doubt that would be in the pub because the end user doesn’t need to know that info. Pubs only address information applicable to the pilot or maintainer. With this, “close enough” would be fine...and there are plenty of examples of the Block 50 exhibiting the same behavior.

So, ignoring the manual digging one-up-manship...any chance of getting something like this simulated?

Here are some Block 50s getting airborne. It’s somewhat difficult to see because of the tanks but there is definitely a change in retraction rate once the main wheels get close to the fus.

Proud owner of:

PointCTRL VR : Finger Trackers for VR -- Real Simulator : FSSB R3L Force Sensing Stick. -- Deltasim : Force Sensor WH Slew Upgrade -- Mach3Ti Ring : Real Flown Mach 3 SR-71 Titanium, made into an amazing ring.

My Fathers Aviation Memoirs: 50 Years of Flying Fun - From Hunter to Spitfire and back again.

Here are some Block 50s getting airborne.

Block 40,

88-0476

89-2116

This adds another point, most people don't know what they are looking at. A model, block 30 and block 40 where presented to prove how a block 50 should work. Like saying a I7 7700K is the same as a I7 10700K because they are both I7 made by intel, so must be the same, right?

I guess this will be one of many things that ED will have to chose how to model.

Edited by mvsgas

To whom it may concern,

Block 40,

88-0476

89-2116

This adds another point, most people don't know what they are looking at. A model, block 30 and block 40 where presented to prove how a block 50 should work. Like saying a I7 7700K is the same as a I7 10700K because they are both I7 made by intel, so must be the same, right?

I guess this will be one of many things that ED will have to chose how to model.

Ok. I'll admit I didn't do my due diligence to run the numbers and figure out exactly what they were. Here is a Block-50 which does exhibit the same behavior.

#92-3912

Proud owner of:

PointCTRL VR : Finger Trackers for VR -- Real Simulator : FSSB R3L Force Sensing Stick. -- Deltasim : Force Sensor WH Slew Upgrade -- Mach3Ti Ring : Real Flown Mach 3 SR-71 Titanium, made into an amazing ring.

My Fathers Aviation Memoirs: 50 Years of Flying Fun - From Hunter to Spitfire and back again.

I did in some ways on another thread ... ;)

Just curious about when it will be noticed by "Beta Testers" active on OB/EA.

Now you know it is about landing gear. :smartass:

I haven't looked at anything but I'll take a stab at this. Airspeed at which the NLG drops down on extension?

Details like these add character.:thumbup:

Yes, they are "nice to have," but you could say the same thing about cockpit textures and canopy tint.

Well TBH that is an apples to oranges comparison. Gear speed retraction will have no effect on flying for those who don't forget the gear. As long as you have positive rate of climb and enough airspeed to deal with the flap change the gear should be coming up. Which is way before 300 knots.

As long as you have positive rate of climb and enough airspeed to deal with the flap change the gear should be coming up. Which is way before 300 knots.

I think you might have missed exactly what this thread is about. It's not about the gear's operating limits (VLO/VLE) but about it's animation.... how the gear looks as it retracts or extends.

This is a detail that would be completely transparent to you from inside the cockpit during a normal takeoff (I guess unless you're closely watching your wing man during such a critical phase of flight...formation takeoff?).