Some radar tests

PoorOldSpike

I ran these two radar-range tests for my own amusement but I might as well post them here, especially for noobs to look at while munching their popcorn.

1- This is the setup in the editor, my Hornet at bottom left (blue circle) is loaded for bear with Sidewinder AIM-9X's. flying directly north towards the Bear (red circle).

dcs-bear1.png

The Bear's view of the proceedings, its course is due south straight and level at 400 kts/ 10,000 feet-

dcs-bear1-A.png

TEST 1- both machines are flying HEAD-ON at each other, and note that even though I've set my radar to its maximum range of 160 miles, the Bear's blip (red circle) doesn't appear til I get to within 70 miles of it, presumably because of its small frontal aspect radar signature.

(noob note- click on the blue-squared MFD button to set your radar range, mine is currently at 160 miles (blue circle).

I've also yellow-texted the range ticks in miles)-

dcs-bear2.png

TEST 2- back in the editor I've now given the Bear a 90-degrees easterly course so that it'll present it's larger side aspect to my radar, and yeehaw, the radar now detects it (red circle) at an incredible 150-ish miles-

dcs-bear4.png

And Ivan eats an AIM-9X..:)

dcs-bear5.png

NOTE- I left most of the radar's settings on pure default for simplicity's sake and only touched the MFD range button. I know you can set its beam to tilt up or down, and use different targetting modes etc, but i'm too lazy to do any fiddling.

i also know I could have used use longer-ranged AMRAAM's or Sparrows, but my preferred weapon is the Sidewinder because you have to get in closer and it's more fun.

If anybody wants to post wise comments, sage advice or death threats etc in this thread please feel free..:)

Edited by PoorOldSpike

One thing to pay attention to as well is the PRF setting. In your cockpit picture from Test 1, you've got the PRF set to MED, which is better for detecting all-aspect contacts, whereas setting it to HI should allow for additional detection range against hot-aspect contacts. The Hornet's radar automatically locks PRF to MED when the radar range is set to the 5-mile scale, and must be manually reset if the range is increased.

REAPER 51 | Tholozor
VFA-136 (c.2007): https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3305981/
Arleigh Burke Destroyer Pack (2020): https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3313752/

One thing to pay attention to as well is the PRF setting. In your cockpit picture from Test 1, you've got the PRF set to MED, which is better for detecting all-aspect contacts, whereas setting it to HI should allow for additional detection range against hot-aspect contacts. The Hornet's radar automatically locks PRF to MED when the radar range is set to the 5-mile scale, and must be manually reset if the range is increased.

Thanks, I wish there were some hotkeys that we could hit to do all that stuff quickly and easily instead of having to rummage around in the cockpit looking for buttons to click on..:)

regarding 4th image:

is it correct that the brick appears in the dugout section (AOT zone)? its range is known. shouldnt the 160nm range be on the bottom line of the dugout, instead of the top line as it is now (and thus overlapping with dugout)?

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600X

GPU: AMD RX 580

Thanks, I wish there were some hotkeys that we could hit to do all that stuff quickly and easily instead of having to rummage around in the cockpit looking for buttons to click on..:)

Man, I sure hear ya! Between my four cougar MFDs and my HOTAS (with the use of an assigned "Shift" key on the stick), I control every Hornet function without touching the mouse. I find the use of a mouse and cursor to click virtual switches and buttons one of the most immersion-breaking and impractical features of this otherwise amazing game. :) Touching real buttons and switches is a must for me.

i7 8700K @ Stock - Win10 64 - 32 RAM - RTX 3080 12gb OC - 55 inch 4k Display

regarding 4th image:

is it correct that the brick appears in the dugout section (AOT zone)? its range is known. shouldnt the 160nm range be on the bottom line of the dugout, instead of the top line as it is now (and thus overlapping with dugout)?

Sorry i don't know what you mean by 'brick', 'dugout' and 'AOT zone'..:)

PS- in fact between you and me, I can't understand half the posts in this entire forum because they're sprinkled with so many abbrevs and stuff, so i feel sorry for poor noobs who must be even more mystified than an 'old hand' flight simmer like me with almost 40 years simming experience behind me..:)

PS- in fact between you and me, I can't understand half the posts in this entire forum because they're sprinkled with so many abbrevs and stuff, so i feel sorry for poor noobs who must be even more mystified than an 'old hand' flight simmer like me with almost 40 years simming experience behind me..:)

A brick is radar return, the little filled rectangle shape.

The AOT (Angle Only Track) zone, also called "dugout", is the small area at the very top of the radar scope, separated by the horizontal line. If the radar is unable to resolve the range of a contact (and thus can only place the contact along an azimuth), usually due to jamming, it'll place it in the AOT zone, so as to signify that an AOT track is present. Normally, the AOT zone should not display contacts with resolved range, but that part is not working in DCS (nor we see the effects of jamming on our radar scopes) yet.

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VFA-34.png

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-
i9-13900K, 64GB @6400MHz RAM, 4090 Strix OC, Samsung 990 Pro

I played my first Flight Sim first on a Sinclair ZX-81, but when I find a new sim with an unknown term, I look up the availanle manuals right away (official or 3rd party docs) and do a word search on it. It helps on 99% of cases. :smilewink:

When you take-off, you already know that if you are going to intercept a bomber heading to fleet. Even if not, the fleet will inform you the target by their early warning radar. So you know altitude, distance and speed as well vector of the threat.

So when you are flying up, you will configure radar to operate at optimal settings.

High PRF for head-on and fast target.

You set radar scan the given altitude with even just 1 bar as at 130-160 nm range it is basically covering thousands of feet volume in height.

And you set something like 20° scan azimuth as you know where target is.

And you go for RWS so you get maximum performance for emission.

This is just if you need to find it, instead using datalink (for some reason).

The idea is that you as pilot will maximize your radar changes to find the target when it's location is known.

It is not something that is too difficult or time consuming.

How you then engage a defenseless target is different case.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

You may need to adjust your Radar Antenna elevation and BAR SCAN. If you notice, on your Captain's Bars, the Low and High altitude at that point are the SAME. You are in a 1 Bar scan, so your antenna isn't moving at all. Increase your BAR scan and/or adjust antenna elevation to give you better coverage. It is fine to be Lazy, but you need to do the minimum to get your radar scanning the area you want to scan.

Luckily you know your target is at 10000 feet, so you are kind of in the ballpark. The Radar envelope is CONE shaped, so while you are scanning 10/10 or 11/11 way out there, the coverage is different closer in.

I find that when targets are not showing up, it is MOST often because they are above or below my current radar scan cone.